• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My First Opus X

bhaney

To my suprise and joy my local shop had 2 boxes of opus X in stock yesterday when I went down to buy some smokes. They had 2 sizes, the Super Belicoso for $14 a stick and the Belicoso xXx for $10.70 a stick. I purchased to of the Belicoso Tripple X. I was at my boys baseball game and decided I just had to try one. The presentation of the cigar was great. Beautiful band, a nice red ribbon tied around the foot, flawless wrapper. I made a perfect V Cut and took a pre light draw. The taste was wonderfull, sort of leathery and oozing with spice. I put the flame to it and in no time had the foot toasted and nice glowing end. I let it rest for a couple of minutes and took the first draw. And what a powerful draw it was. The taste was almost overwhelming. I tasted so many things I couldnt narrow it down to certain set. I am definately going to have to smoke more of these so I can pinpoint down what all I was tasting.

The hype is definately real on these. I was most impressed.

Brandon

I think you will enjoy this cigar much more if you age it for a bit, rather than smoking it fresh from the store. Just my two cents!

How long do you think he should let the other one age? (Inquiring newbees want to know :D )

Castaway said:
How long do you think he should let the other one age? (Inquiring newbees want to know  :D )
[snapback]186030[/snapback]​

It's up to you really. Opus will burn better if they are aged a bit, as the wrappers are very oily. Adding some age also tones down the spice a bit. That spice tends to overpower some of the more subtle and interesting flavors that are present in that cigar.

The million dollar question would be, do you have any ideas where I could get my hands on some aged Opus X ? ;)

Okay Moki, what about Anejo's? do they also improve with some age?

:cool:

NorCalCigarLover said:
Okay Moki, what about Anejo's? do they also improve with some age?
[snapback]186074[/snapback]​

I think just about every good quality cigar improves with age. But it's also a personal preference issue as well... only real way to know for you is to get a box, and smoke one cigar from the box every few months.

I can do that :laugh:

I've been learning about my ISOM palate lately and am coming to realize which ones I like with age and which ones I like young. I haven't tried this yet with premium domestics but will begin the education process this weekend :thumbs: .

:cool:

I have 3 more in the humidor now that I am going to let sit for a while. I think I am going to just buy a few OpusX sticks every time my local shop gets them in and let them all age for a while. It could possibly have been the best cigar I ever had. But I still have a lot to try.

i like to smoke a fresh one, and age one, just my 3 cents

KayakinBoy said:
[snapback]186278[/snapback]​
KB, that's just because you can't go one second without smoking whatever you have at the time!!!!! Congrats on having the willpower to not smoke that Padron 40th last night! oh ueah...and thanks for losing the game so I could refill my humi!!!
:laugh:

opusxfiles said:
KayakinBoy said:
[snapback]186278[/snapback]​
KB, that's just because you can't go one second without smoking whatever you have at the time!!!!! Congrats on having the willpower to not smoke that Padron 40th last night! oh ueah...and thanks for losing the game so I could refill my humi!!!
:laugh:
[snapback]186296[/snapback]​

Phil just couldn't take those 4 lovely ladies i had! :cool:

ok, i lost my OpusX virginity this past weekend. We really don't get alot of these of here in Canada, and i should first thank those FOGS that sent me the newbie sampler.(I blazed the aged one- just as in KB's post above this one), and put the other away. The taste was more than i expected... very nice smoke! smooth burn, nice complex flavor. :)

bhaney said:
I have 3 more in the humidor now that I am going to let sit for a while. I think I am going to just buy a few OpusX sticks every time my local shop gets them in and let them all age for a while. It could possibly have been the best cigar I ever had. But I still have a lot to try.
[snapback]186148[/snapback]​

That's what mrjinglesusa, lc-smoker, and myself do when our local guy gets them in. We end up with 4-8 of each size that we like, smoke one, and then put the rest down. Now that they are coming out more often, we are starting to enjoy a nice little backlog :D . An aged opus is a happy opus.

Some guys like Opus only when they are fresh, don't forget they are aged a year before they are shipped. If you are looking for that huge nose, then fresh is the way to go.

They are best kept at 58-62 percent humidity, the wrappers are wet with oils when young, they will smoke better dried out a bit. I personally smoke them both ways, at the end of the day after 5-6 cigars, nothing like a fresh Opus to get those taste buds working again.