• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

my first Opus X

hornetguy

ok, I took the plunge. I found my local guy had a new box of Opus X in the Super Belicoso size. 14.95... I was sorta surprised. I thought they were a little pricier than that. So, I bought one for me and one for my buddy. We have zero will power, so we smoked em last night.
I was a little underwhelmed. It was a really nice smoke, but didn't seem to have much flavor. VERY smooth, no bite, burn was great until the last 1 1/2", and got a little erratic, but was probably my fault for talking instead of enjoying.
Aesthetics were outstanding. Wrapper was very smooth, slightly oily to the touch, firm but not hard. Probably the cleanest and smoothest "clip" I've ever experienced when cutting the head. Great draw before lighting.
Overall it was a REALLY nice cigar. It definitely packed a little punch, as we both got a little light-headed (only one beer each, too.)
I have had a cold lately, and that could be my problem.. my taste might be a little skewed because of it.
I've heard folks say that if you age them, they get much better. My question is... how long is the minimum time you experienced Opus smokers think they should rest before the flavor starts "coming on"... ?

The flavor should have been there at the beginning...aging usually mellows out the "punch" that it gives and rounds out the entire experience. Sorry to hear that you didn't get the flavor that we all talk so highly about...maybe that vitola was not the right one for you. Try another size and shape and maybe it will do it for you. I love them and think they are fantastic beyond the hype. Give it another shot...but if you still don't like it, good...more for us!! :D :D

-Fetter

It sounds like your cold muted the flavors big time. Fresh Super Beli's are spice bombs. I bought a bunch from the latest batch and they are very strong and spicy. Tons of flavor and enough strength to make a veteran make sure he smokes it on a full stomach.

One thing you must do to appreciate any cigar is to exhale some smoke through your nose.This gives you the strength of a cigar and it also adds to the taste big time.

Hornetguy... Go buy a box of a different size and style of Opus X... smoke one and if you do not like it... send the rest of the box to me :whistling:

:laugh:

The Master said:
One thing you must do to appreciate any cigar is to exhale some smoke through your nose.This gives you the strength of a cigar and it also adds to the taste big time.
[snapback]235662[/snapback]​

I saw Carlito doing this a lot on the Opus X DVD, and I haven't figured out how to do that without actually inhaling the smoke past your mouth into your lungs.

Thoughts?

Lumberg, close your mouth and force the smoke through your nose. Try keeping your tounge against the roof of your mouth.

The Master said:
Lumberg, close your mouth and force the smoke through your nose. Try keeping your tounge against the roof of your mouth.
[snapback]235704[/snapback]​

Master, thanks for the tip. I saw this thread before your entire thread discussing the topic, and I am going to cross-post this exchange over there.

The Master said:
It sounds like your cold muted the flavors big time. Fresh Super Beli's are spice bombs. I bought a bunch from the latest batch and they are very strong and spicy. Tons of flavor and enough strength to make a veteran make sure he smokes it on a full stomach.

[snapback]235662[/snapback]​

You are probably correct.. My buddy kept commenting on the spicy, almost peppery flavor of the wrapper. I didn't really notice anything excessive.
We both noticed the strength of them, though.
I'll have to check with them to see if they expect any other sizes anytime soon.

hornetguy, the thinner ring gauged Opus like the Petite Lancero,#4, #5 and the Fuente Fuente will be even stronger. The strongest one of all is the Power Ranger aka XXX. That s.o.b will knock you on your ass if you aren't careful.