• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My first single malt scotch tasting

Pyre

Back with a vengeance
Well, after lurking around these forums and hearing AVB rave about single malt scotches, I decided it was something I needed to try.

So I did a quick survey of the messages, looking for a good scotch for a newbie to try. I ended up compiling a list of 3 possibles:

Bowmore 17
Macallan 12
Aberlour 15

During my lunch break, I headed over to my local tobacconist who also sells fine liquors. He had all three of these, and probably 200 others. I finally decided on the Macallan 12.

What can I say? Wow, this stuff is good! I'm sipping it straight, no water, cola, or ice. Is that what is called "neat"?

The smell of it reminds me of maple syrup and with just a little bit of a fruity smell. The taste is definitely slightly fruity and smooth. I don't think I've ever had a whiskey straight like this. Its very enjoyable!

This is one of those things that I smack myself on the forehead and say "why didn't I try this sooner"!

Thanks to this forum and all the wonderful opinions and recommendations here, I may have found a new sipping beverage of choice!

I'm wondering, how do the other two on my list compare to the macallan 12?

Any other websites or faqs for a newbie just starting to discover the enjoyment of single malt scotches?

Welcome to my world!

The Aberlour will be a little sweeter but in the same style as the Macallan. Bowmore has some peat flavors but not terribly strong like a Laphroaig or Talisker.

Consider Highland Park or Balvenie Doublewood for well rounded single malts.

Talisker is more "smoky" than peaty and is one of my favorites, the only whisky from the Isle of Skye. I currently have unopened Talisker 10 yr old, Distiller's edition and the 175th anniversary edition bottles waiting for a night with friends and hopefully the Ashton Cabinets I bought to try them all out.

Bowmore is an excellent choice for a peaty scotch. I find Laphroig and Ardbeg waaaay too peaty. The other excellect Islay scotch for peat is Lagavulin, but I don't think it's available (the 16 yr old) as they didn't anticipate the popularity of single malts and have temporarily run out. It should be back at some point.

This is a great bonus for me; cigars and liquor all in one site. :laugh: