• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My most recent estate purchase

Gunpowder

Cigar Search & destroy V 1.20
I was in my local hardware this summer and noticed a variety of pipes on display in a rack high above on a shelf with other decor.

Typical old hardware store, I assume it was for decor purposes. After looking through them I eventually later asked if they would sell them the other day. The owner of the pipes said his old room mate owned them and left them behind when he moved out. I assume this was a few years ago.

He is active on ebay but said he didn't know the value. They wanted the rack but did sell me all 9 pipes. I think I got an acceptable deal considering the items even though some need some serious reconditioning. Many of the stems are oxidized.

So far my research of the nine:

(2) identical mystery pipes with no identification on them. two of them must have meant the owner loved them as they were more heavily used than the rest.

(1) Medico

(1)Digby, London Made, Made in London #158, Date ???

(1) France "1353"

(1)Hardcastle, British Made Camden, #172 Made in London England date??

(1)Drinkless Kaywoodie, Imported Briar 7714. I assume it is 65-70 yrs old due to 4 digit # (in decent shape)

(1)The Guildhall London Pipe, Made in London England, #2105 Date ???

(1)DUNHILL Bruyere 6/k 4A F/T. Date code= 1972 (in decent shape)

Any comments on which ones are worth restoring? I do not have a buffer so would probably send them out. I already did a basic salt/everclear cleaning to most of them.

These will be added to my collection which includes an original Ben Wade Spiral, a Nording, a Meerschaum, Stanwell Royal Danish, a novelty stone pipe, and a corn cob.

I'm no pipe guy, but I would like to see some pictures of these. Sound interesting.

Well, let's see. Certainly the Dunhill is worth restoring. The Guildhall is a Comoy variant circa 1932, and the Digby is from GBD. Hardcastle, with no other modifier is listed as "Dunhill Owned" so again, likely worth restoring. I think the others would depend on how much the designs appeal to you and how they smoke. There are many good restorers out there, but it won't be cheap if you're looking to completely restore them to as close to "as new" as you can get them.

Well, let's see. Certainly the Dunhill is worth restoring. The Guildhall is a Comoy variant circa 1932, and the Digby is from GBD. Hardcastle, with no other modifier is listed as "Dunhill Owned" so again, likely worth restoring. I think the others would depend on how much the designs appeal to you and how they smoke. There are many good restorers out there, but it won't be cheap if you're looking to completely restore them to as close to "as new" as you can get them.

Where did you find the Guidehall date code? Been searching the net for it.

That's simply the way it's listed in "Who Made that Pipe?" Whether it's an actual date code is not known to me. However, in the book "Pipes", the entry for Guildhall reads "English brand, a Comoy's second. Dating, at least, from the 1930s, it is still produced." There's no further information in the Comoy's entry, so I'd guess that it is a date mark. The pipe certainly looks old enough.

hardwarepipes1.JPG

A Larger Pic: large pic

Here is a rough pic:
LEFT
Medico
Digby
France
Guidehall

Right
Hardcastle
Dunhill
Kaywoodie
(2)Mystery pipes

BTW was $11 a bad price to pay for these? :0

The 2 on the lower right look to be either Marxman or Webers (kinda the same things given ownership changes). They would likely be worth full restoration is you were a collector of those lines but otherwise......

Anyway, have fun with your adventure! $11!!!! SCORE!!! :thumbs:

Great score! Some nice looking pipes at an unbeatable price!