• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My projects, ashtrays, Humidors etc.

Simply amazing Bill, you're a master craftsman in deed....... :) :thumbs: :cool:

Excellent work as always Bill!

I have a question though, with all the many pieces you use and the method of assembly, how do they last over the long haul in terms of humidity changes?

Years ago, I made a very stout walking stick from planks of Purple Heart wood. I laminated the planks together to the thickness I wanted, then cut it into a long piece of wood about 2"x2" and then hand sanded the entire thing into a round walking stick about 5' long. After several years the lack of humidity out here caused the individual pieces of would to warp and separate at places.

That's a long way of asking - How do you allow for expansion and contraction caused by humidity and temperature changes on these beautiful pieces you make given the many different types of wood used (each of which I would guess behaves differently)?

Thank you very much and that's a very good question. When making something like this the pieces are so small that there is minimal movement. Grain orientation is very important as well. You want all the grain to be in the same direction. It's also very important to use wood that had less than 6% moisture and has been kiln dried and left to relax for a few months(like a good cigar). I've got a turning that has 1500 individual pieces and is 2 years old and it's still the same as day one. If you use these simple basics you will have success. It's possible too that the wood you used was kiln dried too fast and still had some movement left in it. I had a piece of Bubinga that had recently been kiln dried and was perfectly true. I tried to cut some veneers from it and it litterally went BANG at the end of the cut on the bandsaw and turned into a cork screw instantly. Here's a pic of the turning with 1500 pieces.
349976655.jpg

You do some amazing work humidor. I am utterly amazed. :thumbs:

You guys are way too kind. I actually own Audio 2000 and Wyko Off Road center in Tucson AZ. I lived my work 24 hrs a day and needed something else to take my mind off things and even though a great Cigar is relaxing, I still thought about work. I figured what a perfect marriage, Cigars and Humidors (and now ashtrays) It makes me focus w/o distraction and it's so satisfying to do it. What a great way to get my mind off work. I hear drugs are addicting? Can't possibly be this bad. I build stuff for no reason all the time. If I could have a dollar for every time my wife says "Your Crazy!!" There wouldn't be any cigars left for you guys. :laugh: The part that worries me is, the 2 businesses I own right now........use to be the way I took my mind off my job. :blush:

I just can't help it, I love doing this stuff. Even if for no reason. :whistling:

You guys are way too kind. I actually own Audio 2000 and Wyko Off Road center in Tucson AZ. I lived my work 24 hrs a day and needed something else to take my mind off things and even though a great Cigar is relaxing, I still thought about work. I figured what a perfect marriage, Cigars and Humidors (and now ashtrays) It makes me focus w/o distraction and it's so satisfying to do it. What a great way to get my mind off work. I hear drugs are addicting? Can't possibly be this bad. I build stuff for no reason all the time. If I could have a dollar for every time my wife says "Your Crazy!!" There wouldn't be any cigars left for you guys. laugh.gif The part that worries me is, the 2 businesses I own right now........use to be the way I took my mind off my job.

I have been in your shop (Audio 2000). Used to go to school at U of A. Small world eh?

That's beautiful.

Next time you want to take your mind off work you can make me an ashtray. :D I won't mind.

As everyone else has stated, truly amazing stuff! I wish I had half the craftsman skills you have.

You guys are way too kind. I actually own Audio 2000 and Wyko Off Road center in Tucson AZ. I lived my work 24 hrs a day and needed something else to take my mind off things and even though a great Cigar is relaxing, I still thought about work. I figured what a perfect marriage, Cigars and Humidors (and now ashtrays) It makes me focus w/o distraction and it's so satisfying to do it. What a great way to get my mind off work. I hear drugs are addicting? Can't possibly be this bad. I build stuff for no reason all the time. If I could have a dollar for every time my wife says "Your Crazy!!" There wouldn't be any cigars left for you guys. laugh.gif The part that worries me is, the 2 businesses I own right now........use to be the way I took my mind off my job.

I have been in your shop (Audio 2000). Used to go to school at U of A. Small world eh?
Yes it is. How long ago? I almost rember everyone that comes in. If you're ever back in town we can get together for a cigar. Maby Jerry's or Tinder box.

I also have to add a big thank you every one. I really enjoy making these. I'm glad you enjoy them too. :thumbs:

That ashtray is just beautiful. I love woodworking, there's just something so gratifying about seeing something that you created and using it.

As has been said many times here...Amazing craftsmanship. Woodworking is becoming a lost art. My father and I are what I call old school carpenters. We have built cabinets, several computer desk. Even all of the trim in my parents house we made and it looks fantastic but nothing to the caliber of your abilities. Truly impressive. :thumbs: :thumbs:

HM your work is awesome!! I look forward to new pictures from your works everytime I log on. Keep up the amazing work!!

good lord that is some awesome looking work! If I had an indoor smoking area I'd be BEGGING for an ashtray! that is simply gorgeous...

as always bill, your work stuns us all into a moment of aww.

btw MINISTER whenever you start your church lemme know? i'll even drink the koolaid first ;)

Here's the latest ashtray. The last few designs work out in a way that I can achieve different patterns. This way if I'm making 3 ashtrays i can get 3 different designs w/o doing anything other than glueing the pieces togther in a different order but still make the same cuts. This one is more of a propeller look. Enjoy my friends
354793817.jpg

354793820.jpg

354793814.jpg

This isn't an ashtray, just a Birthday gift for a friend. Thought you might enjoy though.
354793823.jpg

354793821.jpg