• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Scotch Room

Series of events that just happened..

I looked at the pictures, then showed them to Michelle and said "one day babe... one day.."

That's a freaking awesome setup man, I see a few bottles in there that I love, and a few that I'd love to try!

Good work :thumbs:

Very impressive. The shelf lighting is a nice touch. Hope it doesn't heat up the liquor too much when they're on.

The dimmer switch not only cuts the light but the heat as well. Trust me I thought a lot about the heat coming off the lights.

One thing you might look into is going CBF or LED on bulbs, in addition to the dimmer switch. CBF bulbs might be too bulky, although they're making them smaller and smaller these day, but LEDs, while a bit pricey still I think, are downright tiny and put out almost no heat at all.

Again, congrats on such a fantastic collection and setup. I can never keep the corks in the bottles long enough to get more'n a five-foot bar shelf going! :blush:

~Boar

Series of events that just happened..

I looked at the pictures, then showed them to Michelle and said "one day babe... one day.."

What did your wife say after that?

If it were mine, it would be "In your dreams. If you ever have that much money to buy that much scotch and cigars, my shoes and clothes collection better be 3 times that big."

But maybe that's just my wife.

Bill

Thanks Boar for the lighting suggestions. I'll check it out in the next few days.

Wow, that picture with the lights dimmed is impressive. Now I can't wait to get rid of my kids. :laugh:

Looking good, I'm going to have to drop in sometime :)

Wait until you have to dust 'em now :p That's the worst part of collecting bottles.

My favorite photo is the one with the room darkened. I think awestruck is a great word for this room.

The only thing I didn't see was the date and time of your HERF. :p

Very impressive. The shelf lighting is a nice touch. Hope it doesn't heat up the liquor too much when they're on.

The dimmer switch not only cuts the light but the heat as well. Trust me I thought a lot about the heat coming off the lights.

One thing you might look into is going CBF or LED on bulbs, in addition to the dimmer switch. CBF bulbs might be too bulky, although they're making them smaller and smaller these day, but LEDs, while a bit pricey still I think, are downright tiny and put out almost no heat at all.

Again, congrats on such a fantastic collection and setup. I can never keep the corks in the bottles long enough to get more'n a five-foot bar shelf going! :blush:

~Boar

As Boar just mentioned, LED's would be great. I can tell you for a fact that Home Depot has started to carry two LED's from Sylvania that fit an M11 or M16 socket. You might check it out.

I stopped by Home Depot this morning to see what I could find in the way LED lighting. They sell the same puck type set only with LED lights for a little less than double what I paid for the halogen set. 2 sets of 3 lights is only about $70.00 rather than the $40.00 I spent. I'll eventually get around to changing them out but for now I am sticking with what I have. As I mentioned before, I keep them quite dim about like having 6 night lights on because I like the atmosphere it creates and at that level the heat in minor.

Thanks again for the advice.

Looking good, I'm going to have to drop in sometime :)

Why do I feel like my collection was just blessed by the Pope? :blush: Sharing a drink with someone that has your level of knowledge excites me like a kid at Christmas. I'm weird that way.

You don't need me as you are well on your way. Most folks think 10 is a collection and can only scratch their head when they see a display as nice as yours.

Why do I feel like my collection was just blessed by the Pope? :blush: Sharing a drink with someone that has your level of knowledge excites me like a kid at Christmas. I'm weird that way.

I hope your daughter doesn't plan on moving back!!

I like it! My little 20+ bottle collection looks mighty small next to that setup! Enjoy and if I'm ever anywhere close to AZ better believe I'll be hitting you up for a dram and a stogie. :)

Just a dram you say Greg? There are more hangovers in that room than there is square footage on the front lawn to pile our drunk bodies on..... but we could try :laugh:

I stopped by Home Depot this morning to see what I could find in the way LED lighting. They sell the same puck type set only with LED lights for a little less than double what I paid for the halogen set. 2 sets of 3 lights is only about $70.00 rather than the $40.00 I spent. I'll eventually get around to changing them out but for now I am sticking with what I have. As I mentioned before, I keep them quite dim about like having 6 night lights on because I like the atmosphere it creates and at that level the heat in minor.

If you plan to stick with the dimmer, LED bulbs may not work too well. I've read that they dim very little or don't dim at all (depending on the bulb). Given the way diodes work, I'd imagine there isn't much room for varying the power to the device. Also, CFLs don't work well either due to the ballast (CFLs put out heat anyways, so they wouldn't be a good choice to begin with). As far as I know, most of the energy efficient bulb technologies don't work well with dimmers or 3-way switches. In fact, just recently, Europeans have started to complain about this as they move forward with their *ahem* silly *ahem* ban on incandescent bulbs causing some home owners to throw out perfectly good lamps and light switches. :whistling:

This is all hearsay of course, I don't have a dimmer in my house. I can confirm, however, that three way lamps don't work with CFLs or LEDs.

Thanks for the information dlow & others.

The sales assoc at Home Depot told me he has the puck style LED lights on a dimmer at his home and they worked fine. He warned me that LED lights put off a different kind of light, as in not soft. I would think a dimmer would take care of that but he said not really. I think I'll take a wait and see approach. The way technology is it's only a matter of time until someone figures these issues out.

Thanks again for all the kind words. I'm blown away by the response.

For a three way (3 different light outputs from a single bulb) CFL to work you need a 3 way CFL bulb, it works just fine. If you mean a 3 way switch (i.e. 3 switches controlling one light) that works with CFLs too as I've been doing it for over three years now and they are just regular Home Depot CFLs....nothing special. There are CFLs that will work on dimmers but I haven't used them yet. LEDs I can't say.

Also, CFLs don't work well either due to the ballast (CFLs put out heat anyways, so they wouldn't be a good choice to begin with). As far as I know, most of the energy efficient bulb technologies don't work well with dimmers or 3-way switches. In fact, just recently, Europeans have started to complain about this as they move forward with their *ahem* silly *ahem* ban on incandescent bulbs causing some home owners to throw out perfectly good lamps and light switches. :whistling:

This is all hearsay of course, I don't have a dimmer in my house. I can confirm, however, that three way lamps don't work with CFLs or LEDs.

Damn, Randy. Great looking set up, my friend. How the hell do you decide on what to drink? I have enough trouble deciding on what to smoke. I'd probably go crazy if I have to make a drink selection as well. Good problem to have though.

Very nice setup, I love the dimmed lights look. :thumbs: Unless you are running those lights full blast 24/7 I don't think it is going to be a problem for you.

You need to work on getting that coolerdor filled the rest of the way up though, if you have enough people to drink all that scotch you will certainly run out of cigars way too early.

WOW am speechless how long did it take to collect that many bottles :thumbs: :thumbs: