• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

MY wife just got laid off. Sucks

drunkfish3 said:
Thanks all see will get unemployment and a severance package. She will get to stay home with the kids so we will save on daycare till September when my daughter starts preschool.

The first silver lining, Chester.

Things will work out.

gtadroptop said:
Thanks all see will get unemployment and a severance package. She will get to stay home with the kids so we will save on daycare till September when my daughter starts preschool.

Things will work out.
I wish I could have spent more time with the kids when they were small, so that silver lining is like gold to me. Keep supporting her as you both go through this period, Chester. Best of luck! 

Sorry to hear this, and best wishes in her search for a new job. My recommendation would be to start looking NOW ! A job search can take quite a while. And should something come about sooner than September, well, you have the severance to help with the child care

One thing I've learned is that there can be a stimga attached to a candidate for being unemployed, and the longer the unemployment, the worse the stigma. A former co-worker received a 6-month severance, and waited until it ran out to start looking. She faced a challenge by being out so long, and had difficulty explaining why she was unable to find a job during that period.

Whatever you and your wife decide, I will her good luck.

drunkfish3 said:
My wife just got notice yesterday that on June 28th she will no longer be employed. Really sucks. 

I'm really sorry to hear that. Like some of the other guys said I've been there too. Twice in 3 years. Once a "corporate re-structuring" where they cut 3,500 people and another when they closed a branch office. I can't presume, nor would it be right of me, to know your exact situation or mindset so to speak and I prefer to offer experiences vs. opinions; that being said its my experience between my two is that now that she knows the date and when I knew the date, I had a month to get my ducks in a row, update and hire a professional to review the resume, get in touch with my head hunters and start hunting. I had the same thing about 5 weeks notice on the second one (first one I sunk into a deep depression and it took me 4 months to get out of it.) Took me 2-3 to get up and running then started hammering it out.

Never had much comfort in saying or hearing "it will get better" but its like ilikefises said above "When one door closes 3 more usually open." Praying for you just like the good Father Sarducci would ;-)

4cbln3 said:

Things will work out.
I wish I could have spent more time with the kids when they were small, so that silver lining is like gold to me. Keep supporting her as you both go through this period, Chester. Best of luck! 

I know that it doesn't change the fact that income is needed to live and support a family (and my situation was entirely different, as I still had a portion of my old check still coming in permanently), but I never realized how much of my first (and only, at the time) daughter's young childhood I missed while on the road or working 12+ hour nights.  I have to agree with the Good Father and the others for her to start looking now, but definitely take advantage of the time with the kids while she can.  It's time you/she will never have the opportunity to get back and do over.  

Best of luck.  We'll be keeping your family in our thoughts.

It’s also been my experience that you have to give yourself a "mourning period" as losing a job is a huge life impact. Don't panic and let it overwhelm you. She has 4 - 5 weeks to help with that period but can also get a jump start.

If I can offer one other experience that may help or else just tell me to just stick it where the sun don't shine. For all the sh!t I had to endure with my ex-wife in trying to save our marriage and all the stunts she pulled on me almost up to two years AFTER divorce, I will always give her credit as she was a Godsend and my "cheerleader" going through all the laid off stuff. She kept my spirits up, supported and pushed me but never gave commands nor over push. I'd get down
and do what’s called " “catastrophize" and she would bring me back toreality. So was so positive and upbeat maybe you can do the same for with her,
cheer her on, assure her everything’s going to be groovy, it’s just a small bump in the road not a sinkhole. Remember as she is not only now looking at you for support but she is facing an identity crisis so to speak. She's going from "X" amount of time to being identified as mom, wife & career woman,
the big three, now she'll only have two. Double up on the "wife" from my situation then come here and vent lol. Also keep your same routine as you
have now as in my experience once I broke mine that is when I got severely depressed as I started sleeping til noon, staying up till 1am, not exercising, eating
crappy et al. and it railroaded me. Lean on your family, that's what they are there for, bloods thicker than water. Good luck, you have been in my prayers and if you need to vent or someone who’s been through the situation first hand feel free to hit me up.