• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

NASCAR

That's something that I find boring as well. Every driver and team is so worried about offending a sponsor or France they won't say anything. It's like a chicken and egg thing. If you are boring and people tune out sponsors won't tolerate much. However if you have personality, get more viewers/attendance, then the sponsors will flock to you regardless of bad press and might actually want it just to get the logo seen.

Denny Hamlin has an opinion on the matter.

http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2011/7/8/2266440/denny-hamlin-nascar-news-joe-gibbs-racing-2011

Excerpt:

The Hamburglar said:
Speaking to reporters at Kentucky Speedway, Hamlin observed that because the cars are so aero-sensitive and the rules are restricted on the current model Cup car, all the cars are basically going the same speed.

"That's why we've seen the limited amount of passing for the lead and things like that on regular racetracks that we've been accustomed to," Hamlin said. "Everyone is running so even, and when you run even, there's no passing."

Denny Hamlin has an opinion on the matter.

http://www.sbnation....bbs-racing-2011

Excerpt:

The Hamburglar said:
Speaking to reporters at Kentucky Speedway, Hamlin observed that because the cars are so aero-sensitive and the rules are restricted on the current model Cup car, all the cars are basically going the same speed.

"That's why we've seen the limited amount of passing for the lead and things like that on regular racetracks that we've been accustomed to," Hamlin said. "Everyone is running so even, and when you run even, there's no passing."

So true.... there's nothing worse than sitting in Charlotte watching the 500 and them running single file. The last one I went to was in 1999 or 2000 and there were only 3 cautions over the first 400 miles. We left and then the shit hit the fan with like 6 over the last 100 miles.

I'm going to next week's race in Loudon. There'll be 100,000+ people there and in all likelihood sold out. NASCAR maybe on a down swing, but not here in New England.

Doc.

Have fun, Doc!

I think Jay Hart might have been secretly scoping out this thread for column inspiration...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=jh-kentucky_speedway_addition-070711

I'm going to next week's race in Loudon. There'll be 100,000+ people there and in all likelihood sold out. NASCAR maybe on a down swing, but not here in New England.

Doc.

Don't get me wrong, there is still one helluva NASCAR following here in Charlotte and always will be. Until you've experienced us fans (more commonly called the Drunken Rednecks) for a race in CLT, you really haven't had the fun of a race.

I just don't do it anymore because Dale Earnhardt was the only driver I ever pulled for. I wasn't one of those people that just went from pulling for Sr. to pulling for Jr. because of the lineage. Don't get me wrong, when I turn on a race or read the paper, I always wish to see that Junior has done well. I just wasn't one that could go straight to a new driver because of how much I loved Earnhardt.

Ahh fer Christ's sakes don't give me that southern redneck b.s.:rolleyes: You come up to visit Jonsey and I'll take you to Thunder Road in Barre Vt. It's Ken Squire's track. You've heard of him, the guy that coined the phrase, The Great American Race? Racing is so tough on this 1/4 mile high banked bowel that a woman driver told Rusty Wallace that if he showed up she'd run him off the track.:0 He didn't show.:( Racing is ingrained in New England. I've been going to bull rings since I was a little kid. You want to see racing come up here and watch Woodchucks and crazy French Canadians go at it. And as far as drinking goes, I know guys that drink a case of beer before noon and it ain't even race day.:laugh:

Doc.

Brian this is an offer you can't refuse.
Doc just laid down the gauntlet!!!

Ahh fer Christ's sakes don't give me that southern redneck b.s.:rolleyes: You come up to visit Jonsey and I'll take you to Thunder Road in Barre Vt. It's Ken Squire's track. You've heard of him, the guy that coined the phrase, The Great American Race? Racing is so tough on this 1/4 mile high banked bowel that a woman driver told Rusty Wallace that if he showed up she'd run him off the track.:0 He didn't show.:( Racing is ingrained in New England. I've been going to bull rings since I was a little kid. You want to see racing come up here and watch Woodchucks and crazy French Canadians go at it. And as far as drinking goes, I know guys that drink a case of beer before noon and it ain't even race day.:laugh:

Doc.

Doc.
So Doc, who's your Driver?

I used to watch a lot of NHL and NASCAR back in the '80s and '90s. About the time all the Canadian teams were being moved to places like Phoenix I stopped watching the NHL. I also quit watching the NASACAR series when it left it's roots. I've come back a little to NHL but not NASCAR. The Indy 500 was a yearly watch for me from the mid-70s on right up until they screwed the pooch. I preferred that to NASCAR and still do, but I don't think I've watched an Indy 500 since the split. I wish they televised Rally Car races.

I agree with Jonesy the real racers are gone. I used to go to a few races a year and living in Iowa at the time back then it was all by airline so the four of us would drop some change to go.

I was fortunate that a good supplier was a NASCAR official and over time was on the board of directors so we spent many races in the NASCAR suite meeting people like Bill France his son Brian, Mike Helton and and they all treated you like the guy next door. We would get Garage passes and spend the entire day at the track from open to close.

The COT, Large TV contracts. Changing track design to make it more driver friendly'?? WTF? The sport has changed a lot but I still enjoy it..

Here ya go Jonsey.... Atlanta November 2000 It was so cool to watch him around the track.

scan0030.jpg

I used to enjoy NASCAR but since the ''chase'' began it has become a snore. Drivers don't have the desire to win like they used to. These guys are content with driving around for 500 miles and never contending for the win. I understand them not wanting to wreck their car but do you want to win or just be the first loser ?