• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need advice on a good 9mm

Learn to hand-load if you think you might get serious. It's not that hard and you'll save a ton of money.

Doc.

Thanks for all the help guys! I picked up a Beretta M9, and ordered the Crimson Trace grips on line. Cant wait to go shoot it! The grips should be in on Friday..

gunphot2.jpg

Not a fan of Beretta, Brownings and Colts are too expensive for what you get nowadays, Taurus can be good but not all the time. Sig is my favorite if I could just decide which one , Glock fits my hands well but I carry a 30 yo Series 70, I don't need 15 rounds since I will hit you with the first one and I want you to remember it. A 45 does that. I never understood a "range" gun since I practice with what I carry. YMMV

I'm not really familiar with Berettas myself, but if it fits your hand well and performs for you, that's what counts. Certainly it's a quality make.

LOVE Sigs, but for me they're a "point and click interface" . . . perfect hand fit, especially with Hogue grips. I'd love to get myself their P220 Elite Dark but . . . hooo, buddy. That's NOT a cheapie!

Glocks don't work for me at all. Something about the grip's angle to the body feels off for me, and my wrist is a little 'soft' for their action.

Happy shooting!

~Boar

I tried out quite a few guns, in a close second was the sig 226p. I had given myself a $700 budget, but had decided if anything blew me away, the hell with the budget!! I really like the sig, but the M9/92fs just felt better, and the grip was a nice size for my big hands. I also liked the fact that it was a substantial gun. I am not going to use this as a carry weapon, I already have a compact. I just wanted something to plink at the range with, and to have in my office drawer if someone kicks in my front door during the day!

I chose the M9 over the 92fs on shear aesthetics, I liked the straight line dust cover better.

My crimson trace grips came in early! I just got back from the range, and really like the gun. Extremely accurate. The laser site is incredible. I have also noticed that it has improved my shooting, when turning them off. I am able to site the target better. I also like the fact that I dont have to close one eye to align the iron sites. I am very happy with the whole package!

My crimson trace grips came in early! I just got back from the range, and really like the gun. Extremely accurate. The laser site is incredible. I have also noticed that it has improved my shooting, when turning them off. I am able to site the target better. I also like the fact that I dont have to close one eye to align the iron sites. I am very happy with the whole package!
As nice as lasers are (and yes, I have one on my primary defense pistol), you can bet money that when the s#!t hits the fan, the damn thing won't work. Night sights and lots of practice are very important, too. We have a local range that does low light target practice.....very cool, very valuable.

Thanks for all the help guys! I picked up a Beretta M9, and ordered the Crimson Trace grips on line. Cant wait to go shoot it! The grips should be in on Friday..

gunphot2.jpg

Always fun to break in a new firearm. I remember when I first shot my Springfield XD-M 9mm. I found out they have a place down here where I can pay $100 a year for a outdoor range. Kinda sucks since back home it was free. Looking forward to next year for some shooting. :D

gunphot2.jpg

Always fun to break in a new firearm. I remember when I first shot my Springfield XD-M 9mm. I found out they have a place down here where I can pay $100 a year for a outdoor range. Kinda sucks since back home it was free. Looking forward to next year for some shooting. :D

It was a blast! Next time we get together for a cigar, we should all get together at a range first!! I think their are enough gun enthuiasts to have a great Houston Smoke and Shoot herf!!

Jake you are in charge! :laugh:

It was a blast! Next time we get together for a cigar, we should all get together at a range first!! I think their are enough gun enthuiasts to have a great Houston Smoke and Shoot herf!!

Jake you are in charge! :laugh:

I actually like this idea. I've done this with OpusXKC and it was always fun. :D

Myself , i have had colts ,rugers, smiths , berettas and sigs ..Never owned a glock ..Was a little leary about the polymer frames until i got to use one , just never owned one ..I like the feel of a sig ..Own a 226 and a 220 ...Look at what law enforcement carrys , and of course what fits your hand comfortably ....

Congrats on the new purchase! Berettas are a great weapon. Personally, I fall into the category of those who like Glocks, but as it has been said, firearms are just as personal of a purchase as a good cigar. I've shot many a weapon both on the civilian side and military side, and there are a lot of great ones out there. In the end, it all comes down to whether or not you can put a bullet on target regardless of what your using to make that bullet fly. My personal carry is a sub-compact Glock 26 with the Crimson Trace laser guard. I found the laser grip that went around the backstrap too bulky for my hand on the sub-compact.

As for what's the best weapon regarding home or self defense? That's an easy question to answer...whatever one you have in your hand at the time you need it :)

My nightstand firearm back in the States was a Remington 870. Handguns are for your hips. ;)

Congrats on your purchase, a new firearm is always a great thing.

I would add, that depending on the situation, not buying a new gun may be more prudent *GASP*. Sometimes buying a better holster or investing in professional instruction will serve you better. I am a fan of conversions or .22 caliber version of your primary carry firearm.

For anyone planning or even considering purchasing a Glock google GSSF Discount. I believe they have changed the rules somewhat, but basically you pay something like $35 a year but get a fairly hefty discount on any handgun. GSSF is also a CMP affiliate and there are other assorted benefits.

Congratulations on your purchase, the M9 is a great sidearm. I've owned a few over the years and was always very happy with their accuracy. In addition, the ergonomics just feel right to me. With the possible exception of the mid/large frame CZs I'd say the 92/M9 line feels better in the hand than any other automatic out there.

One word of caution, be wary of what magazines you buy for it. Mec-gar and/or MDS are the way to go outside of factory mags. Checkmate mags have a very bad reputation for failures.

And now for some unsolicited tips:
#1, check out this site for free videos on how to totally strip your pistol (be careful though if you're not mechanically inclined, these sorts of videos can tease you into going beyond your skill level). http://beretta92fs.com/index.html

#2: Check out http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com/ - they've often got .mil surplus for M9s at great prices. Safariland 6004 series holsters in very good condition for around $40 for example.

#3: In cas you want some Beretta 30rnd mags: http://www.berettausa.com/products/beretta-factory-92fs-and-cx4-magazine-9mm-30-rds/?F_All=Y - these come in nice at the range so you don't have to stop to reload so much. Plus 30 rounds of 147gr +P ammo makes for a pretty convincing home defense sidearm,

Congratulations on your purchase, the M9 is a great sidearm. I've owned a few over the years and was always very happy with their accuracy. In addition, the ergonomics just feel right to me. With the possible exception of the mid/large frame CZs I'd say the 92/M9 line feels better in the hand than any other automatic out there.

For you maybe. I couldn't stand how bulky Beretta's feel in my hand. Reason why i never purchased one nor a Glock.

For you maybe. I couldn't stand how bulky Beretta's feel in my hand. Reason why i never purchased one nor a Glock.

Yes, I meant for me. Then again I enjoy shooting all firearms, even glocks. ;)

For anyone planning or even considering purchasing a Glock google GSSF Discount. I believe they have changed the rules somewhat, but basically you pay something like $35 a year but get a fairly hefty discount on any handgun. GSSF is also a CMP affiliate and there are other assorted benefits.

Definitely a great way to pick up a Glock for a nice price! Also, if you are law enforcement, military, EMT, fire fighter, and I believe the discount also is extended to those with a commercial pilot's license now as well, Glock has great factory direct discount prices as well. Shoot me a PM if you need more info on that!