• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need help from BOTL

Cooke

BOTL,

If you are not aware, many Universities across the US are putting serious restrictions on tobacco usage and extracurricular activities relating to tobacco products.

Students at Longwood University in Virginia are trying to create a group of students that enjoy the finer points of tobacco. However, we have come across a serious problem. The University's Student Government Association amended a code to forbid all extracurricular activities relating to tobacco. This was done to prevent students from encouraging the use of cigarettes because of nicotine addiction.

With the assistance of our staff mentor (who is also a BOTL), we are spreading a petition to get this code revised. I have created an online petition to spread the voice to those outside of the immediate area of influence of the University. If you truly feel that this is unfair, I encourage you to sign the online petition: Online Petition

If you would like to send a personal letter to support this student group I am heading, my school address is in my profile.

Sincerely,
~Cooke

I'll sign it for you but I'm doubtful these online petitions have any effect on policy.

A previous petition has already had the effect of preventing them from forbidding tobacco on campus until a public forum will be created. We got 3500 signatures for that one and the SGA didn't have a choice. Students run this school, just have to make your voice heard. We are looking at enlarging the scope of conflict on this and several other issues.

I signed your petition, hope it helps. :thumbs:

Some of you were wondering if this would work:

We got over 5,000 signatures in a 3 day period. All we needed was 2,500 to make the SGA move our case to the top of their list of 'to-dos' and we smashed that. This morning, they repealed they're ban!

We had enlisted the help of R.J. Reynolds to help with the word of mouth campaign. This morning, our adviser got an e-mail from the RJ Reynolds Rep saying he was sending us some congratulatory cigars :p