• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need some grill/smoker suggestions

DemonR6

BBQn, Smokin & Ridin
I need some suggestions on a good charcoal grill or smoker to get. I have my propane Weber and love it, however I would like to get something that will add a nice smoky flavor to my ribs, roast, etc. and can slow cook well. I can't have anything too large, so keep that in mind with the suggestions. I'm not looking for the biggest and baddest, so keep the $1000 grill suggestions out. :p Thanks guys.

If you are a fan of weber products, then I would suggest the Weber Bullet. Especially if you just want something for smoking with!

Thanks Erick. I'm torn on getting a smoker or a regular charcoal grill right now. Part of me wants to get just a plain ole Weber charcoal and another part of me wants a smoker. Ahh decisions decisions.

I hear ya brother.....but you can have both.

I've got an all-in-one (it's gas though): SMOKER for my ribs, brisket and turkey, GRILL for my steaks and other stuff, & a BURNER for my deep fryer.

I just love it; had it for years and it's about on it's last leg.

When I get home, I'm definately buying another one.

Click here or here

:thumbs:

I hear ya brother.....but you can have both.

I've got an all-in-one (it's gas though): SMOKER for my ribs, brisket and turkey, GRILL for my steaks and other stuff, & a BURNER for my deep fryer.

I just love it; had it for years and it's about on it's last leg.

When I get home, I'm definately buying another one.

Click here or here

:thumbs:
That looks like exactly what I would need. Thanks.

Erick, can the Weber Bullet be used with just charcoal also?

I have a Big Green Egg. I've had it for years and love it. They have a near cult following. They aren't the best for a quick grilled chicken breast, but you already have a gas grill.

edit: here is the link

Thanks BFD, I have been doing some more research on the Eggs and I think I will be going with one. I am thinking the medium egg. What size do you have and do you have any pictures of yours?

I have the medium egg. Sometimes I wish it was bigger. A beer-can chicken can be a tight fit, if its a fat chicken. Also I can only fit a Turkey breast, no a whole Turkey. I've had mine since 6/2000. The only problem I have had, is with the fire grate. A few years ago they changed to a metal grate from the ceramic one. The ceramic grate would crack. Mine cracked then broke. I bought a new metal one. It was about $30. I bought one faster than I could possibly expect a warranty replacement. I'll get you some pics.

Everyone loves steak on this thing. I do steak like this:

Get grill up to 900
Drop a handful of your favorite wood chips (apple for me) soaked in something you like (bourbon for me)
Sear meat on side 1 for 90 seconds
Sear meat on side 2 for 45 seconds
Close lid, close vents
Wait 4 mins for rare, 5-6 mins medium, 7 mins well
Open and remove steaks at appropriate time for each persons liking.
Close lid immediately after removal.
You must be quick so put the steaks in order of doneness desired, from front to back.

Hillbilly..

Whats the proper way to light LUMP CHARCOAL. And also know of any sources I can pick some up?

I have a 22" Weber Kettle - was a freebie from a guy at work.
I bought new grates and away we went....I love to cook on the grill.

The best lump was 'Ozark Oak' - great light/burn/heat and not a lot of ash at all!!! The supplier in Maine doesn't carry it anymore - only out of Arkansas and some stores in that region (I spoke to them directly about a pallet(sp) purchase w/o any luck).

I light the lump with a Weber Chimney...couple of pieces of paper underneath and poof...10minutes to a good burn.

2 guys hear at work smoke too.
One has a bullet and the other a smoke shack electric.

When I get one I'd love Hillbillies - we're all jealous here E.!

Until then, the Weber is just fine!

Enjoy!
http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/accessory/chargear.aspx

Great info site:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

This is great:
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/taoofcharcoal/tcsplash.htm
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/taoofcharcoal/tcindex.htm

<edit to add url>

Yeah I was looking at that nakedwhiz site.. Some good reading!

Hillbilly..

Whats the proper way to light LUMP CHARCOAL. And also know of any sources I can pick some up?

try putting some vegetable oil on a paper towel and light it under the charcoal. That's how I light my fires in the cooker.

I have a Big Green Egg. I've had it for years and love it. They have a near cult following. They aren't the best for a quick grilled chicken breast, but you already have a gas grill.

edit: here is the link

I envy you for your Egg. I've been trying for years to convince my wife that we need a Big Green Egg.
I dream of a pizza cooked on that thing. :cool:

It's not all bad though, I got to spend 7K on a range as a consolation prize. (Bluestar RNB :love: )

The best lump was 'Ozark Oak' - great light/burn/heat and not a lot of ash at all!!! The supplier in Maine doesn't carry it anymore - only out of Arkansas and some stores in that region (I spoke to them directly about a pallet(sp) purchase w/o any luck).
Ozark Oak

Gary, I assume this is the lump charcoal you were talking about. It appears you can buy it through Amazon.

Nick

My mainstay gill is a weber gas Silver series with side burner. It makes killer ribs with that rib rub.

I remember smoking deer summer sausage in a home made smoker that had to be 10 feet tall. A LP burner and firewood in the bottom did the trick. I always wanted to build a cooker like that.

I have a Brinkaman Gourmet electric smoker hidden on the back porch the kids got me for Christmas still in the box. I am dehydrating jerky in a dehydrator. I was going to try to smoke jerky instead.

It isn't a bullet but it is a start they figured. they do not know I know it is there (in plain sight). My kids are only 6 and 8 ;) ;)

I and my wife wondered if she should have gotten the electric or gas Brinkaman or if there is another item around $100 that is better. Didn't want to shoot for a $200+ bullet, etc at this time.