• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need some suggestions.

I am thinking about buying a humidor soon, so I will be needing to fill it up :laugh:. Could you guys recommend some good samplers? Is that the best way to do it? or would buying them individually be better?

As stated earlier, the Newbie Sampler Trade is a good start.

Also, consult with some of the retailers here. Ask them the same questions you are asking us. They will take care of you.

Finally, check out famous smoke shop and cigar international. They always have great deals on samplers. Unfortunately, you do need to know what you're getting before you pay because some tend to be better deals than others. Look up the samplers and read the reviews. For example, a lot of the samplers like to include smokes like the Graycliff 1666, which "retails" for $14, but is really more of a $4-6 smoke. Also, one of the drawbacks to ordering from online stores is that you get a very limited selection. A lot of the higher quality smokes have strict "no online sales" policies. So while ordering online can be good to get a sampling of whats out there, you typically won't find limited releases or really high quality stuff.

To start, I recommend sampling these brands to get feel for what you like. They offer lots of blends and vitolas. I've found that most of the smokes they make are generally good to great quality, they are easy to find and a good start for beginners. Once you settle on wrappers, blends, and vitolas that suite your palate, you can start branching out:

CAO
Arturo Fuente
Padron
Rocky Patel
Oliva
Don Pepin Garcia
Tatuaje (less "easy to find", but almost all Pete Johnson smokes are great, or so I've heard/read)

And again, find a good, local shop to HERF at. I can't stress this enough. Tobacco shops will give you the best experience and advice. They will be more expensive than online sales, but it's worth it. By the way, on a side note, don't walk in with a ton of smokes you bought online, spark one up and then expect a warm reception.

I am not sure what HERFing is :blush:, but there is a cigar store that I visit well whenever I need a cigar lol, I have talked to one guy there in particular who has never really steered me in the wrong direction. Also what is a vitola and blend, I am pretty sure that is a main component of the cigar but I am not sure what exactly that is, I know I'm a noob. :whistling:

Also is there anyone in particular that you suggest I contact?

First off, welcome to the board. This is a great place to start off and there's dozens of great people here who will take care of you in one way or another, be it advice or great cigars.

Someone above said don't juse a manufacturer, blend or size by one smoke. Truer words are rarely said.

Also, someone else said your tastes will change over time. That's also true. I myself was guilty of enjoying a few different cigars and then splurging hundreds of $$ on boxes of those, only to find them blahhhhhhh after learning to recognize what I like in a cigar.

SNIP<<<<
So far this has been one of the friendliest boards I have been apart of.
>>>>SNIP

That's nice to hear. On behalf of some others who've been told different for one reason or another, you're off on the right foot.

Jim

Thanks Jim thatls really good advice, I am still trying to try new cigars, but sometimes it seems like I don't want to be disappointed or worse get sick again lol, so I just stick with what I know. I have done some browsing on famous-cigars.com, which looks like a decent place to get cigars online. I am interested in some of the samplers that they have there but I really don't know much about what comes in them, I guess I'll have to do more research before I start dropping big money on them.

Great advatar... I was getting ready to switch mine back up to Pat Patriot but seeing that you have it up already maybe I will just stay with the Sox....or maybe go with the Celts...

Brian

Its to bad the sox didn't do very well in the playoffs, hopefully the Pats and Celts will have better luck.

There should be an acronym topic stickied somewhere on the forum but for sake of learning:

HERFing: A get together with cigars, like an event of some kind
Vitola: refers to the unique description of a cigar
Blend: There are different filler leaves within the cigar which create the blend

Here is a small list of people I have spoke to in the past but there are more around the forum (I don't want to give an unfair advantage):
NorcalMark
puffstuff
hermit11
bilder
Keystone_Raider
uptown_isy
LUCIANPOPPY

My favorite cheap cigar is: CAO Italia Box-Press

I am a very big fan of the Italia, just had one last weekend and it was fantastic. I will definitely contact some of those guys, any idea what kind of questions I should ask I don't want to sound like a huge noob lol.

I am a very big fan of the Italia, just had one last weekend and it was fantastic. I will definitely contact some of those guys, any idea what kind of questions I should ask I don't want to sound like a huge noob lol.

Tell them what you've smoked, what you liked and disliked about those smokes and as them for comparative smokes. If they are worth their sand, they will be able to turn you on to smokes with similar flavor profiles and help you expand your horizons.

first off dont forget to introduce yourself here if you have not already.

Secondly, bookmark this link, it will help you in the future understanding what is said by other members.

first off dont forget to introduce yourself here if you have not already.

Thanks for pointing it out, but as I said above, IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY

and why do are you pointing things out "using the shift key". Im helping the guy around here. Why are you tearing me down for my help.

I'm not tearing you down bud. I'm pointing out that using the shift key is encouraged here, it really helps keep the forum's professional appearance in tact. Also, a quick search would've shown you that he made his introduction.

No fighting in my thread ;). Like Moe said, I did post an intro, no biggie though easy mistake.

Thanks for the acronym chart, I had no idea what some of what you guys had said. :whistling: