• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Netflix and other shows you are watching

13 Assassins on Prime. Fantastic movie about a group of ronins who plan to take down the brother of the shogun, who is drunk on power. The first 20 minutes show in brutal detail the shogun's brother heinous methods of handling the people under him. The rest of the movie shows how the group of ronins plan their mission and recuit others to their cause. The last 40 minutes are of the final battle that play out in great scenes. I really enjoyed the use of natural lighting and sounds. Most of the sounds of the movie don't feel like they were dubbed in post. The movie does feel like a spiritual successor to 7 Samurai, especially with the character of Koyata, who feels like an homage to Toshiro Mifune's character Kikuchiyo.
Watched this last night. Not bad in that it help my attention for most of the 126 min? Which I think is what it said it was. But I couldn’t figure out that one guy at the end. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. Though for a subtitled show in a subject I have little interest in, it was pretty good. :)

One last pitch for Snowman on Prime. Set in Oslo Norway. Scenery is Fantastic. Murder mystery, with Val Kilmer ( he is ther but limited speaking ), excellent cast. People keep getting killed and a snowman is left taunting the police at every move. Progressing the methods change, the methods of execution changes and the taunting Continues as the snowman watches. Good till the end when the murderer is found, but the policeman's wife and child are ready to be sacrificed. The ending..... well now, that you must watch and see if you can figure out who the snowman is. 99 🍅🍅🍅🍅🍅 not rotten tomatoes.

I'm 25 minutes in....damn that bad guy is seriously demented.
Indeed! It really makes the questions about duty and honor strick harder towards the end of the movie.

Watched this last night. Not bad in that it help my attention for most of the 126 min? Which I think is what it said it was. But I couldn’t figure out that one guy at the end. I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. Though for a subtitled show in a subject I have little interest in, it was pretty good. :)

I do! His character was purposefully done llke that and left a bit ambiguous as to weather or not he could be a tengu spirit.

Legendary Nights: The Tales of Gatti-Ward on HBOMax. A documentary about the greatest trilogy of fights in boxing history. I remember watching these fights with my dad and both of us thinking that boxing will never be as great as these two warriors slugging it out round after round. Neither fighter backing down, or giving their opponent an inch. If you are a fight fan and have never watched this documentary or the fights themselves you are missing out on true battle. You'd think these two warriors would hate each other and trash talk their way between fights, but you'd be wrong. These two men saw each other as true equals to the point when they ended up at the same hospital post fight Gatti's first words to Ward was, "Hey Micky, you ok?"

Finished Season 1 of Shooter last night. Ready to start Season 2.

Akira Kurosawa's Red Beard. An interesting movie that delves deep in what it means to be human and to care for others despite their past and social standings. The movie starts off with Yasumoto just leaving medical school and assuming his first assignment will be a high profile and easy task of being on the shogun's medical staff. He quickly learns that just the opposite has happened and he is sent to a small town clinic caring for the poor who can not afford the treatments they need. Yasumoto thinks this is below him and tries to buck everyone including lead doctor Kyojo "Red Beard" Niide, played excellently by legendary actor Toshiro Mifune. The movie is a slow burn but as the tree hour run time progresses you slowly notice that Yasumoto not only realizes that life isn't always about the path you have in mind, but the journey you take and that being a doctor isn't about the glory and fame, but about treating and helping those around you. This movie is also the last time Kurosawa would film in black and white and sadly the last time he and Mifune would work together, after a run of sixteen movies together.

Just binged on The Diplomat on Netflix. Recommend it highly. The characters are very nuanced and grow as you watch the series.

The diplomat easily one of the best to come from Netflix recently. Same thing with citadel from prime and rabbit hole from paramount. I’d like to also toss in fatal attraction from paramount as well. :)

Unforgiven (Samurai). Directed by Lee Sang-il this movie is a remake of the classic Clint Eastwood movie of the same name. Usually I stay away from remakes, just because they can never live up to the original, but once I stumbled upon this film and seeing that Ken Watanabe would be playing Eastwood's character I was intrigue. What ended up making this movie great is that Lee Sang-il knew exactly which parts of the story to use from the original and which parts had to be changed to fit the Japanese setting during the Meiji period. Also, the cinematography is fantastic. Filming took place on the island of Hokkaido and really helped with giving the film a western setting. Much like Eastwood, Watanabe does exceptional job playing the role of killer trying to put his past away and living a quiet life. You see him struggle with trying to do what he feels is the right thing vs what he has to do for the survival of himself and his children.

While, I would not say this version is better than Eastwood's, it is how a remake should be done. It gives you the story you know but changes it up enough to make it unique.

Anyone watched Sisu yet?
I hear it is good. Might have to rent it this weekend.

Inside man is ok. I say ok because I just don’t like the “premise” of the show. If you have watched it or do, you will understand. Typically I won’t watch shows like it all the way through, but I enjoyed Stanley Tucci performance in citadel enough that I wanted to watch more of him. I also like David Tennant but he has done much better things than this. Thankfully was only 4 shows so a quick watch.