• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Golfer needs help

beaucredo

hard work and self sacrifice
Hey guys! I am just about to start golfing, get lessons and such, and I was wondering if anyone knows of some good beginners clubs for lefties. I have been looking around online for a few days, and can't seem to really find anything that isnt WAY expensive. Here is the only set I found that was well priced. My budget is about $250....I know it is low, but I am a college kid with a cigar budget to work with. here is the LINK to the ones I found, any info on them would be appreciated as well.

Thanks guys!

For a beginner, this isn't a bad deal here, you can choose left or right hand.

Clicky

DEMO DEMO DEMO..AND DEMO SOME MORE....find a local shop that sells used clubs and have them fit. Ever considered learning to play right handed? Not as tough as it sounds since a good golf swings feels and looks about as ass backwards as it gets.

Hey guys! I am just about to start golfing, get lessons and such, and I was wondering if anyone knows of some good beginners clubs for lefties. I have been looking around online for a few days, and can't seem to really find anything that isnt WAY expensive. Here is the only set I found that was well priced. My budget is about $250....I know it is low, but I am a college kid with a cigar budget to work with. here is the LINK to the ones I found, any info on them would be appreciated as well.

Thanks guys!

I think there are differing opinions on this, but for a brand new golfer I doubt you'll be able to feel or know much difference between clubs, so just be sure to get a decent name brand "game improvement" iron. You can find alot on ebay, such as the Taylor Made RAC OS irons for around $300. Do a google search for golf equipment reviews and there are several decent sites out there that are helpful.

For a beginner, this isn't a bad deal here, you can choose left or right hand.

Clicky

Thanks for the link...those look nice!

DEMO DEMO DEMO..AND DEMO SOME MORE....find a local shop that sells used clubs and have them fit. Ever considered learning to play right handed? Not as tough as it sounds since a good golf swings feels and looks about as ass backwards as it gets.

Yeah, I was thinking of going to golf galaxy, but their online store scared me off. Everything on their online store is killer expensive.

I think there are differing opinions on this, but for a brand new golfer I doubt you'll be able to feel or know much difference between clubs, so just be sure to get a decent name brand "game improvement" iron. You can find alot on ebay, such as the Taylor Made RAC OS irons for around $300. Do a google search for golf equipment reviews and there are several decent sites out there that are helpful.

Thanks Gonz, I will check that out.

...or you could just forget the whole thing and save yourself $$$ and years of frustration ;)

J/K...find out when your local courses have demo days and try out a variety of sticks. If you can afford it I'd also recommend being fitted, as your height/swing might require a different length/lie angle. You'd be surprised how much it will help your game.

Honestly, I've never heard of those. But, there's a few things to consider. If you're serious about golf, it becomes more expensive to buy some crap clubs only to have replace them with something of better quality as your skill level grows and you learn to appreciate what a fine set of clubs are. That said, I'm not saying to go out and get Titleist Vokeys and Pro Titaniums to learn on, clunking away on the course. But, rather to save up a bit and go for damn nice, middle of the spectrum, solid performer (what this may be as it pertains to your game can vary in all honesty), rather than just drop some change on whatever you can afford at the time.

Also, you can sometimes score some great sets off E-Bay, trite as that may sound. I've seen some great deals there on clubs/individual woods, irons, drivers in the past, though I haven't looked for anything on E-Bay in quite some time. You can get a nice set put together, that does not look like some Sanford and Son, strung together set.

You should also check around your town and see if they have any decent golf shops, or perhaps even some second-hand sporting goods stores. You can sometimes find some great deals on clubs that way...from guys like you who bought something and then moved on, or who even bought a high-end set and then moved on when the next new thing came out. On the subject of golf shops, you get with a good rep from there, and they can get you hooked up with a few sticks (you don't really need an entire 20-piece set in all honesty) that will be perfectly tailored to your game/height/grip/etc. They can make recommendations and get you pointed in the direction you need to be headed.

I guess if you are going to go for the lower-end or knock-off route of clubs anyway, try places like sports authority or, hell, even Target carries sets of clubs these days, bag included. Some of those Dunlop, Wilson, etc sets are not too bad for what they are.

But most of all, find a set that is comfortable to you. Ordering off the net is truly a tricky thing when it comes to clubs. You need to find the right specs to fit you, individually. That can make all the difference, so going to the stores, looking, touching, swinging...it's all important.

Thanks guys...I think i will go to the Golf Galaxy store and talk to the pro there, and find something decent new or used that I could play with for a year or two or three until i grow in skill level.

Thanks Guys, and Dave I will check those links out. Thanks again!

...or you could just forget the whole thing and save yourself $$$ and years of frustration ;)

:laugh:

Couldn't help but laugh at this. Was true for me for a long time...then I actually started playing well.

As a lefty you actually get a fair shake at some used clubs. Check out the craigslist in your area and the claddifieds. 250.00 is a great amount to start with. For myself personally I bought a half set of irons, a sand wedge and a cobra driver (all used) for under $200.00.

I'd defintely find a golf shop that sells some good used clubs. I would never buy clubs that I had never swung before. The comment about playing right handed is valid. I'm a lefty myself and have never swung a left handed club. Left handed equipment is more plentiful than it used to be but is still sometimes a pain.

No matter what you do though, enjoy yourself. It's easy to be frustrated on the golf course, but remember the reason you're there....to relax and have a good time.

Oh, and one more thing.....

Remember, all the advice you get here is worth exactly what you paid for it....maybe less. :p

Remember, all the advice you get here is worth exactly what you paid for it....maybe less. :p

Lol...I guess I just dont understand how I can test clubs before buying them, and also...I dont know what is good/bad as I am new. Woudl it be beneficial to have a few lessons BEFORE buying clubs?

Lol...I guess I just dont understand how I can test clubs before buying them, and also...I dont know what is good/bad as I am new. Woudl it be beneficial to have a few lessons BEFORE buying clubs?

Places like Golf Galaxy will have an indoor simulator where you can swing the clubs and hit into a screen. It will measure your swing speed and ball trajectory which can help narrow the selection of clubs best suited for you.

Places like Golf Galaxy will have an indoor simulator where you can swing the clubs and hit into a screen. It will measure your swing speed and ball trajectory which can help narrow the selection of clubs best suited for you.

Well that makes sense...Thanks Gonz, and thanks again to everyone Else!! Who would have guessed that people who like cigars like to golf :whistling: