• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Info on Cozumel?

Special K

Anyone have any recent Cozumel experience? I checked through the old threads and saw that the LCDH had closed down, or had turned into Havana House. Wondering if anyone's been there recently or knows if the LCDH that was supposed to be built had been built.

Thanks!

I was there back in November on a dive trip. At that time there was not an LCDH on the island. I did venture into Havana House. I did not like the look of the cigars, so I passed on buying anything. I wish they would open up an LCDH. That island is full of fakes. One store had a box of 'Cohiba' pyrimides with EL 2007 labels on them. Some, like that example, are quite obvious. Others are not. Another thing I noticed was that most places with walk in humidors would only turn their A/C on if a customer would walk in, so even if some of those places do carry genuine stock, the storage conditions are still terrible.

if you are on your way to cozumel, you are passing through cancun airport, you can find a small but decent selection of boxes(i noticed some hdm bargains) at the international terminal duty-free.

otherwise, there are palatable lcdh in the zona hotelera and there's one on 5th ave in playa del carmen.

unfortunately the best cigar shop one the penninsula is about 200 miles to the west, in merida.

if you are on your way to cozumel, you are passing through cancun airport, you can find a small but decent selection of boxes(i noticed some hdm bargains) at the international terminal duty-free.

otherwise, there are palatable lcdh in the zona hotelera and there's one on 5th ave in playa del carmen.

unfortunately the best cigar shop one the penninsula is about 200 miles to the west, in merida.

Is there an easy way to get from Cancun to Merida? Or, are there decent vacation resorts in Merida? I just ask because I never know when I might end up in Cancun or Mexico in general.

I've never understood the facination with people wanting to buy cuban cigars while on vacation in a tourist town.

I will take 7-10 cigars with me on a 7 day trip remove the bands and not have to worry about if I'm buying crap or not. Its just not worth it when you can buy them cheaper delivered to your doorstep prior to going, so I've heard.

Was recently in Cozumel and points south within the last few weeks. Do yourself a huge favor and just avoid trying to buy ISOMs altogether while there. Take some decent sticks with you and simply enjoy them.

Is there an easy way to get from Cancun to Merida? Or, are there decent vacation resorts in Merida? I just ask because I never know when I might end up in Cancun or Mexico in general.
cancun and merida are about 200 miles apart in distance and a world apart in culture and environment. cancun is a busy tourist town with lots of general family amenities and adult activities for tourists. merida is the capital of the yucatan, the state next to quintana roo, the site of cancun. merida is an interesting historical city with lots of modern and old world amenities. both cities are equidistant to chichen itza, but merida has loads of wonderful mayan ruins and is only 15 minutes from the beach in progresso.

cheers
drew p

Was in Cozumel roughly a month ago. Didn't even venture into a "cigar" shop. Only thing I bought there was an assortment of meds that are an arm and a leg in the states.

Thanks for the advice.

To address a few points:

1) I took around 25 cigars with me, including Cubans. Banded, whatever. I was gonna smoke em so who cares if the bands are on. So, I did take my own.

2) While ordering online is awesome, it's often difficult to get small amounts and impossible to feel and check the cigars before you buy. If I'm on vacation, what's the big problem with looking at the cigars and maybe grabbing a 3 pack or 5 pack or whatever if I find something I like. Plus, in foreign countries in Europe and such, it's the thrill of the bargain hunt. Can I find an old box? Is there something not readily available online?

Hope that explains why I and possibly others would like to purchase Cubans while on vacation.

BTW - I got back from Cozumel today. Great trip. I only checked out a few shops on the Island. I ended up picking up a pack of CoRos from the duty free. They actually looked, smelled and felt great. I'll make a comparison and shoot some pictures later. Who knows if they're real...I'll find out when I smoke em.

Thanks for the advice.

To address a few points:

1) I took around 25 cigars with me, including Cubans. Banded, whatever. I was gonna smoke em so who cares if the bands are on. So, I did take my own.

2) While ordering online is awesome, it's often difficult to get small amounts and impossible to feel and check the cigars before you buy. If I'm on vacation, what's the big problem with looking at the cigars and maybe grabbing a 3 pack or 5 pack or whatever if I find something I like. Plus, in foreign countries in Europe and such, it's the thrill of the bargain hunt. Can I find an old box? Is there something not readily available online?

Hope that explains why I and possibly others would like to purchase Cubans while on vacation.

BTW - I got back from Cozumel today. Great trip. I only checked out a few shops on the Island. I ended up picking up a pack of CoRos from the duty free. They actually looked, smelled and felt great. I'll make a comparison and shoot some pictures later. Who knows if they're real...I'll find out when I smoke em.

Comparing Cozumel to Europe is apples and oranges. If you had said you were going to Europe you would have gotten different responses. You said Cozumel, a typical Cruise boat destination that has more counterfeit cigars than the ocean has fish. Your response about your purchase, "Who knows if they're real", only solidifies why you were giving the advice you were given.

Thanks for the advice.

To address a few points:

Comparing Cozumel to Europe is apples and oranges. If you had said you were going to Europe you would have gotten different responses. You said Cozumel, a typical Cruise boat destination that has more counterfeit cigars than the ocean has fish. Your response about your purchase, "Who knows if they're real", only solidifies why you were giving the advice you were given.

I'm not complaining of the responses I got. I never did. Read above. I was clarifying recent info. While I agree that comparing Cozumel to European countries for the purchase of Cuban cigars is very different, that point addresses why people would want to purchase cigars while on vacation. The point is not Cozumel specific. Cozumel was where I was headed, my goal there was not to purchase Cuban cigars. My goal was to have a great trip, which I did BTW. But really, is there anything wrong with wanting to go looking?

So, I'm not disagreeing with you whatsoever. I was specifically addressing one thing in your earlier post. So, once again, I appreciate the advice, I agree with all the advice, but that wasn't the point of the post. It was clarification. If you think there's something wrong with asking for clarification, we'll agree to disagree.

Not that I am complaining, but we always have the "Are These Cohibas Real?" thread to look forward too, with the potential for blurry close-ups and a request for Wilkey to blind taste test the usual suspects! ;)

Who knows if they're real...

:rolleyes:

The next time you seek advice clarification, and established members offer their advice learned experience - take it!

Ah, but I did. I never complained about the advice, I never said people's advice sucks. I accepted it. If you read above, I got some really great responses about what people have found. I figured while I was getting some sick deals on alcohol I'd grab a 3pack. It's not a big deal if it's real or not, it's more of an "I wonder" thing. I'll satisfy my curiosity once I smoke them.

And I don't know more than the collective, which is why I asked. The info was great and I appreciate it. A good reason why only a 3-pack was purchased on Cozumel and not boxes, that and boxes are stupid expensive compared to online which was posted earlier. Not even the Monte 2008 Els I saw while at the light house in Punta Sur :laugh:

Thanks again for the good advice, and there'll be photos - but they won't be blurry and there won't be a request for a taste test! Maybe I'll double fist, lol.