• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New JR catalog hits mailbox.

Thumper9

New JR catalog introduces 11 new JR Alts. such as Padron, Rocky Patel Edge and Ghurka which look delicious in photo. Anyone had them yet?

I may order some to satisfy my curiousity. Even if they do not taste like original, if they smoke as good as they look we may have a new winner at the same price point as Connies, and I love them.

Discussion?

Lew (of JR's) also touted the Camacho Negro as the answer to the PAM. Even though they're pretty good smokes (IMO), they're no PAM. There are a couple of active threads going right now about Lew's sales tactics.

Lew is starting to remind me of a local Denver car dealer, Dealin Doug.

Same Camacho that is made by the Eiroa family right? Has anybody tried one, what did you think?

Same Camacho that is made by the Eiroa family right? Has anybody tried one, what did you think?

I have a box. They seem a little under-packed. They're light in the hand, and draw rather loosely. Besides that, they burn well and taste decent. To me they're a bit harsh, so I'm just going to let them sit for a while. Do a search....I know Ginseng did a full review on one.

Look for my review link in the stickies of the Review Forum. I like the Camacho Negro. It's a tasty cigar and for $4 the price is right. I still smoke one on occasion when I feel the need for something like the PAM or Serie1926 but may not want to smoke the more expensive stick. It is not as rich. strong, or complex as either of these two cigars but is reminiscent of them at a decent price. I'd even go so far as to say that young, they are decent drop-ins for the Padron '000 series except that they're typically a little harder to find. They're comparably priced though.

I think that's where Lew went wrong with the marketing of these. If he had positioned them against the '000 series, he'd have been much closer to giving us an accurate idea of how these cigars perform at least when young.

Wilkey

While I have not tried any of the new ones you mention thumper, to me his "alts" all taste the same and the only thing they have in common with the cigars that they're supposed alternatives to are the dimensions.

I've never smoked a JR Alternative that was any good.

Are the Camacho Negros considered JR Alternatives?

While I have not tried any of the new ones you mention thumper, to me his "alts" all taste the same and the only thing they have in common with the cigars that they're supposed alternatives to are the dimensions.

I've never smoked a JR Alternative that was any good.

Are the Camacho Negros considered JR Alternatives?
I don't think so, Bill. SammyP was referring to the fact that in a few JR catalogs last year, Lew was positioning the Camacho Negro against the PAM. It's a bona fide Camacho line.

The new "Padron" Alternatives are touted as PAN substitues so I guess in a way they could be considered "like" the Negros. At least from the perspective of attempting to mimic a Padron Aniversario product.

Wilkey