• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Member with a quick question

DapperDan

Hey guys,
Long time cigar smoker here, first time posting. First allow me to introduce myself. I am 28 years old, been enjoying cigars since my uncle gave me my first at 14, currently reside in Denver, CO. I have a quick question and possibly you guys can help me out. I have a Don Salvatore humidor, very nice, works great. The question I have is that I am currently using the Dr. RH humidification device with the Dr. RH solution. I am running a digital hydro and am currently getting a reading of 73.8 degrees F with a RH of %66, was wondering if this is acceptable? I currently have around 100 sticks in there, most of which are being aged (Padron anniversary series (40th, 44th etc.), illusione singulares and some Tatuaje J-21's) I don't want to sound like a total newbie here but any advice or words of wisdom you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Cheers and happy smoking.

It sounds fine. Id seek to lower the temperature a little but other than that, you're fine. Welcome to CP, fill out your profile and stay a while.

The cigars you're aging are already aged and ready to smoke. They're not going to get much better so you might as well enjoy them.

Doc

Temps could be a few degrees lower but yours aren't crazy. General rule of thumb is to maintain temps below 70F. Might try to relocate the humi to another part of the house that keeps a bit cooler. Nothing to panic about.

RH is an interesting subject. Round up a hundred guys that are long term experienced cigar smokers and ask them what the right RH for smoking is. You'll get answers from 55% to 75%....no kidding. Personal preference makes a big difference in how you store your smokes. 65% seems to be right in the middle and lots of guys use that as their setpoint. Take a couple smokes and put them in your desk drawer for a couple days (dry). See if you like how they smoke better than the ones in your humi. If you notice a difference you like, you might be in the 60-62% crowd.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy the journey. There's a lot to learn but the best part is you get to smoke really great cigars along the path....:p

Cheers - B.B.S.

I actually wound up putting the Humidor in my walk in closet which is the coolist place in the house and the temps are still reading about 73-74. I know humidity is a personal prefrence, my local cigar shop runs there walk in at about %74 and they tend to be a little too wet for my liking (un-even burn, re-lights etc.) I will just stick with the %66 for now and try to get the temp down a bit. As far as aging goes, if I smoke a cigar that I LOVE I will smoke them all right away no questions asked, if it is a cigar that I feel could benefit from a little aging to allow it to mellow then I will give it 2-3 years in the humi (I know a lot of guys are not as patient as I am) As far as the Padron's go I am just throwing a little aging time on them to see what (if any) other fine details I can bring out. The 44th is by far, hands down in my top 3 cigars ever and I will be interested to see what another 3 years does to this beauty.

You know, there is a lot of talk about how important it is to properly calibrate the hygrometer, but we all seem to take for granted that our thermometers are spot on. My cooler (with 65% heartfelt beads) sits at between 66-68%rh and the temp is often 74-75* but, it is right below an actual thermometer that reads about 2-3* cooler. I'm sure its possible that the cooler would be a few degrees warmer than the ambient temps, but I still wonder. I may get one of the fancy IR cooking thermometers and see what it says.

Hey guys,
Long time cigar smoker here, first time posting. First allow me to introduce myself. I am 28 years old, been enjoying cigars since my uncle gave me my first at 14, currently reside in Denver, CO. I have a quick question and possibly you guys can help me out. I have a Don Salvatore humidor, very nice, works great. The question I have is that I am currently using the Dr. RH humidification device with the Dr. RH solution. I am running a digital hydro and am currently getting a reading of 73.8 degrees F with a RH of %66, was wondering if this is acceptable? I currently have around 100 sticks in there, most of which are being aged (Padron anniversary series (40th, 44th etc.), illusione singulares and some Tatuaje J-21's) I don't want to sound like a total newbie here but any advice or words of wisdom you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Cheers and happy smoking.

I'm a newb here as well, but I've been a nervous humidor owner before as well so I thought I'd give my $.02..

I think everyone has already touched on all the important stuff... My humidor is around 74F atm now as well, as my home doesn't have a cooler spot in it (been over 100F here for the past few days), and I've never had any issues. In the world of home-brewing, when a newer practitioner starts asking questions like this we generally respond with "relax, and enjoy a home brew..." I think that applies to folks new to humidors as well. If you've done all the prep stuff right, you don't have that much to fear. Relax, grab a stick, and just enjoy the product of your labors.

I also love your sig, btw... I think cigars are much like wines. You can find both great and bad ones in any price range.

The cigars you're aging are already aged and ready to smoke. They're not going to get much better so you might as well enjoy them.

Doc

Listen to this man, he is slightly off his rocker, but this information is solid. Trust in the Doc.

I actually smoked a diesel unlimited the other night that has been in there for almost a year. While it was like every other diesel I have ever had (Simple flavor profile and not terribly strong) It smoked like a DREAM! Perfect white ash, even burn line and the draw was out of this world! I am not a diesel fan just due to the fact that they tend to be kind of "plain jane" there not bad smokes but I can't wait to smoke some of my illusiones later this week and see just how good they are with the RH/Temp combo I have going on.

I actually smoked a diesel unlimited the other night that has been in there for almost a year. While it was like every other diesel I have ever had (Simple flavor profile and not terribly strong) It smoked like a DREAM! Perfect white ash, even burn line and the draw was out of this world! I am not a diesel fan just due to the fact that they tend to be kind of "plain jane" there not bad smokes but I can't wait to smoke some of my illusiones later this week and see just how good they are with the RH/Temp combo I have going on.
You answered your own question, my friend. The proof is in the pudding.

My coolerdors get up to 74 degrees(65RH) in July and August. I just smoked an Anejo 50, Old Henry Robusto Mad, and an '09 Party PC Especiale - all absolutely perfect in every way! :thumbs: