• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New pipe purchases?

bfreebern

Yada, Yada, Yada.
I'm trying to figure out what I want/need to buy and from where. There are a ton of artisan pipe makers out there now, so trying to decide if I want a new or an estate.

Anyone else buying new pipes lately?

I have some more expensive pipes(including a couple Savinellis, Butz Choquin and an estate GBD) but my favorite is a rusticated bent Molina, It has a nice deep bowl and smokes very well.
You can find any kind you want on fleabay be it new or an estate.
Have had my eye on a David Jones handmade pipe there, but just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

Since I'm just realizing I may be more of a pipe smoker than a cigar smoker, I've been reading up on the subject a lot lately. Seems like an estate pipe is the way to go since breaking in a brand new briar takes time not to mention getting a very nice pipe at a discount.

As for myself, I have a Peterson briar that is still being broken in. I just bought a La Rocca with a meerschaum bowl and am looking at some nice full-meerschaum churchwarden pipes, both of which I will smoke all blends in and ony smoke non-aromatics in the Peterson.

ETA: smokingpipes.com seems to have a good selection of estate pipes. I got the link from one of the pinned threads in this forum. I've been scared away from ebay and would trust an actual retailer more.

I have. A couple Missouri Meerschaums, to be precise. ;)

As you know from my status comment, I just tried one I borrowed from my brother-in-law, and though the tobacco he had was not terribly interesting, I can see the potential and am going to try a few other things before really jumping in. Although I have been looking around the various sites recommended in other threads and fleabay... Damn compulsiveness rearing its head again, I think, and from the look of things that combined with piping may be a bad combination!

Oh I hear that. I've already looked at a 12-pipe rack and thought to myself, "That may not be big enough". I already have way more pipe tobacco in my stash then I've smoked in total.

Oh I hear that. I've already looked at a 12-pipe rack and thought to myself, "That may not be big enough". I already have way more pipe tobacco in my stash then I've smoked in total.

You're on the slippery slope, might want to find some Ball jars and jar that tobacco, if it's opened.

I'm looking to buy some new shapes: Bulldog, Apple, Tomoato, Volcano....lot's to chose from for sure.

What pipes do you have already? I have recently become enamored with Blatter and Blatter in Montreal. I also like Boswell if your into larger more rustic looking pipes. Mark Tinsky also makes a great looking pipe. I have read such great things about his stuff.

I have 2 Boswells, 2 cobs and some random from my grandfather. I really like the Tinskys and Rad Davis, but man some of those get really really expensive.

I like look at smoking pipes, estate pipes. They generally have a nice selection.

Starting with Boswell really gives you an interesting first take on the hobby. Rad Davis makes beautiful pipes as does Tinsky but maybe you want to give one of the more well known factories a shot? Peterson and Savinelli both make great pipes and they have a pipe for each and every budget.

Here is a pic of several Christmas presents from my wonderful wife! The pipe is a Peterson Donegal Fishtail.

1324743803.jpg

The wifey-unit got me the Peterson/Zippo gift box for Christmas! Really nice Donegal 106 and the Zippo is great! I'm really having fun breaking this one in using just the Zippo to fire it up.

I like to buy old Dunhills. Either from Smokingpipes.com or a few sources on ebay. I recently bought a 1968 Dunhill group 4 Bulldog which I love. It smokes perfectly! Also, I am waiting for 2 group 3 Dunhill Apples. One from '77 and one from '78. I have a couple of Dunhill Apples from '29 and '30 which are some of the best smoking pipes in my arsenal. Hopefully these newer ones will compare.