• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Tat Black "Jar"

Wow Gary thanks for the lesson brother - good info.  You see that's my beef with Pete and the reason I don't chase his stuff. It's not about hating is just based on he's  so damn arrogant. To me he comes across kinda with this attitude "I know my shit is good and they'll buy it anyway" and to that I say-  screw you Pete.

Don't get me wrong I do by his product from time to time and he makes damn good cigars but I just can't get pass that attitude. How much more it would've have cost him to put these in a nice ceramic jar and bump up his game just a tad bid. Viaje did it with there last jar release. Just to cheesy for me.

Holy crap Gary!  I need a nap now!!

Thanks for the lesson though, it is very creepy to think of what limitations if any other countries have in producing products we use every day.  I for one now am affraid to even keep the jar!?  I mean if I lick it will I see little cigars dancing around my head?  But seriously though, I am glad there are procedures put in place in the US like you explained for those exact reasons.  Things I, nor most, would ever think about being an issue, there are people like you that take pride in knowing the have those rules for a reason!

Just thinking of recycled plastic containers that held chemicals being in my plastic products is nasty!!  All I think of is Breaking Bad and all those bodies burning up in those containers are now in my Tupperware :)

I'm with Kris on this one. You make good shit Pete, everyone knows that. The crap will sell, everyone knows that. Would it kill you to have a little bit of humility? I won't chase your crap, but I will buy some of the HTF is it's not limited to 500 sticks or 800 boxes. To the chasers, by all means, knock yourselves out.

Agreed.  I absolutely won't 'chase' Pete's stuff, but I'm lucky enough that some of the HTF stuff does become available.  

Still like the original Miami brown label stuff about as well as anything.....and I have some OR's that at this point are pretty spectacular.

A quick update on these jars.  I didn't chase it, but I really liked the other black CG's and PL's I had and decided to pull the trigger.  It arrived a couple weeks ago and tossed it in the cooler.  I finally got around to opening it last night and I have a few observations.

The box is in cellophane, the jar is in the box.  So far, so good...

When I took the lid off the jar, it reeked like...you guessed it...cheap melamine plastic.  Almost a fishy smell, it's nasty.  I'm guessing there are amines in the plastic that never aired out.  The jar is lined with foam on the top, bottom, and inside wall.  The foam smelled like more chemicals, so I threw it in the trash.

The cigars are all wrapped in foil.  The foil did help protect against the stank of the jar, but I took the whole pack out just to be safe and the jar isn't near anything I smoke.  Modo22 mentioned a boveda pack in his jar.  I didn't have one in mine.

I have one dry boxing now.  If you see a review mentioning hints of black pepper and red snapper it was probably from my jar.

I'm trying to be optimistic about it and I'm sure the smokes will be fine, but jeez, not what I expected.

engspot said:
When I took the lid off the jar, it reeked like...you guessed it...cheap melamine plastic.  Almost a fishy smell, it's nasty.  I'm guessing there are amines in the plastic that never aired out. 

The only way an ammonia derivative would 'off gas' an odor in a finished product is if the base component wasn't molecularly cross-linked with either dry heat, steam heat, or by a benign form of radiation...and the chances of that are minimal, but not impossible given its country of origin. I would venture a guess that the foul odor is coming from the dye used used to create the final production color...and the darker the color, the better the chances are that is the culprit. High quality dark resin dyes cost bucks, if you know what I mean... :whistling:  

engspot said:
I'm trying to be optimistic about it and I'm sure the smokes will be fine, but jeez, not what I expected.
Alan, this really sucks.  Hopefully your smokes will be fine.

I hate to be negative with regards to a Pete special release, but is anyone else having flashbacks to the Drac box fiasco?  It seems like we've seen this before.

It would be cool if he would just release some of these in ten count boxes like he did the Jason's last Halloween. I was happy with them just fine that way.

jfields said:
It would be cool if he would just release some of these in ten count boxes like he did the Jason's last Halloween. I was happy with them just fine that way.

John what you want and what Pete knows he is going to sell you are two separate things all together.  :whistling:

Light this! said:

John what you want and what Pete knows he is going to sell you are two separate things all together.  :whistling:
It's turned into "For love of the money".

Not one babe in all the pics and diatribe. Thanks for the "yawn" education...

I really like the cigars from the ceramic jars. Sounds like I'm glad to not have purchased these new ones. I like the stuff I have from him but haven't bought anything in a long while.
Oh ya. I smoked w him a couple of times and I kind of like his attitude. Lol

Good cigars. Terrible packaging. If he only made the brown and black labels I'd be content.

Well, there is no way in hell I'd smoke cigars out of that plastic. I also worked plastics for a while. Mostly designing components, but did learn a bit about some of the chemistry. There are some that are pretty deadly. PVC for instance. Outgasses some nasties. We can't use any PVc insulated wire on Aircraft. Bad juju. 

Maybe Pete should decide on the packaging for his releases a year or so in advance, so he can work out the details.
Regarding cost, if he'd make 30,000, his cost per would be a hell of a lot cheaper, and more enthusiasts would be able to 
try the blends. This false rarity shit is just insulting. I like Pete, don't get me wrong. But his priorities should be his customers, and not some lofty reputation based on this silliness when his cigars are good enough to stand on their own.

He's too busy screwing around with wine these days. He needs to get a clue that his core lines are great, and to stick with those primarily. Brown label, red label, Cabaiguan, and La Riqueza are great. Oh, and the original Triunfadors. Fantastic smokes. All the hard to find and LE crap makes for a gimmicky image to me. I'm not saying having special releases is bad, but, sometimes less is more (and I don't mean lots of small batch crap. I mean the occasional great limited run.)

That being said, after a long nap, those Drac's have turned out pretty good. That box fiasco pissed me off something fierce though.