• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New to wine

Zablan

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Im even newer at wine than cigars.. Im looking for a wine on the sweeter side something for the wine beginner. I've read that the white wines are sweeter than the reds... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Wade

Hey Guys,
Im even newer at wine than cigars.. Im looking for a wine on the sweeter side something for the wine beginner. I've read that the white wines are sweeter than the reds... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Wade

Not always true. It all depends on the varietal. There are plenty of Red varietals that can have a sweet fruity-ness to them as well. Chardonnays tend to be drier and they are a white.

If you're looking for sweet, try Hogue late harvest Riesling. Or any Riesling for that matter as they tend to be a little bit more on the sweet side (but not always). Some Sauvignon Blancs can also have a sweet characteristic to them. You may even opt for a dessert wine.

Hope that helps!

Hey Guys,

Thanks, Wade

Not always true. It all depends on the varietal. There are plenty of Red varietals that can have a sweet fruity-ness to them as well. Chardonnays tend to be drier and they are a white.

If you're looking for sweet, try Hogue late harvest Riesling. Or any Riesling for that matter as they tend to be a little bit more on the sweet side (but not always). Some Sauvignon Blancs can also have a sweet characteristic to them. You may even opt for a dessert wine.

Hope that helps!

Riesling is a good start and not too expensive. Hit up a local bevmo and get some recomendations. Otherwise,plan a trip to Napa and do some tastings. This will let you try a lot of wine and get a bit of education about wine in general and on how to taste and what not at the same time. Then head down to Opus One with your credit card.

Here is a great one for you to try - Folie a Deux Menage a Trois. Costco has them in stock all the time for less then 8 bucks. A nice red Zinfandel, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon blend.

California wines, baby! :thumbs:

Might want to try a bottle of Menage a Trois (referred to as a table wine). I wouldn't characterize it as sweet, but fairly good at it's price point... about 8-9 bucks depending on where you look. My wife doesn't like red wines but likes this bottle; one of the few red wines that she will drink with me. She likes more of the sweet wines and therefore, usually sticks with Riesling.

As part of my ongoing quest to go "localvore," I've been exploring Texas wines---I have NO idea if they've made it to Hawaii, but Becker Vineyards "Iconoclast" line is my favorite Texas red so far. The Cabernet is lightly sweet for that varietal and VERY drinkable.

~Boar

Menage a Trois is a good bottle. They have a white out now. Not sure how new it is, just saw it at the store last time I was grocery shopping.

Menage a Trois is a good bottle. They have a white out now. Not sure how new it is, just saw it at the store last time I was grocery shopping.

Yes, they actually have several other varieties although I have not had the desire or motivation to try them but who knows, they could float your boat. They have the red table wine that i suggested along with a white, chardonnay, rose, and a moscato. I'll have to pick up a bottle of the moscato some time as that would probably be to my wife's liking, although not mine.

I've been doing the upstate New York wine trail, but probubly not accessible from HI.

Maybe try a port.

I agree the german wines are great. Reisling, Gewurtraminer, and even the red German wines are more sweet. Still some of my favorites.

Might want to try a bottle of Menage a Trois (referred to as a table wine). I wouldn't characterize it as sweet, but fairly good at it's price point... about 8-9 bucks depending on where you look. My wife doesn't like red wines but likes this bottle; one of the few red wines that she will drink with me. She likes more of the sweet wines and therefore, usually sticks with Riesling.

Menage a Trois 2009 was a great value- 2010 does not hold up as well- look to Italian wine for a great deal.

I agree with bluue13 - 
"Not always true. It all depends on the varietal. There are plenty of Red varietals that can have a sweet fruity-ness to them as well. Chardonnays tend to be drier and they are a white".
But as you are new , you should taste both and have your own choice.