• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

NewAir 281 Power Outage/Temp Reset

Cigar FF

I recently experience a power outage which defaulted the wineador temp to 50 instead of 66 where I"ve been keeping it successfully. I unplugged the unit and opened the door for about an hour and the temperature went back up to 66. Plugged it back in and reset the thermostat to 66 and the temp went back down to 62-60. What gives? Is there something additional that needs to be done to "reset" the unit? 

My ambient temp in the room is 64-68 and surprisingly, my RH has stayed pretty consistent between 65-67% despite the lower temps. Storing the cigars in boxes (until I pull the trigger on shelves) is good advice for anyone reading. 

Give it some more time.  It will catch back up to 66.  This will happen everytime your power is reset.

Ok, I'll leave it as is for a few days. I wasn't sure if there was some way to reset the thermostat after a power failure. I found it odd that I had the temp back up, put the thermostat back to 66 (max) and it still proceeded to drop down to about 62 now. 

Has anyone experience any issues with their cigars or smoking them with temps in the mid-to-upper 50's? I know RH and temp comes down to preference but just making sure I don't need to take any additional precautions as the temperature was at 50 for several days. 

MY whynter resets also. Since I didn't want it to pull down if I was gone for several weeks, I bought a Johnson Temp control. Also, Tstat on Whynter started acting flaky

personal User said:
Due to inconsistent tstat readings, and the fact that one of the winedors resets to 55 degrees or something like that on power outages - I have both wineadors powered thru Johnson A419 units

one example

http://www.brewinternational.com/a419-refrigerator-or-freezer-thermostat-digital-temperature-controller/?gclid=CMuO6-HdysACFU4F7AodNEkAAg

I did not purchase from there, and am not recommending that company and just providing a link so that you can see the units I am using...

Whatever, these units are slick and work well. Someone here at cigarpass recommended them to me.
Really are slick and more consistent than the factory tstats.

I was wondering if the power outage caused the tstat to act flaky initially. I thought about putting the winedaor on a battery back up but I don't know how meaningful that would be. I have an extra one lying around.

Those Johnson thermostats look nice and I've looked at them before. I may pull the trigger on one of those just for the consistency. I have not done a lot of research on them but I presume they reset to whatever settings they were at before the power failure? 

They handle loss of AC power fine. You also can set delay, so that in the event of a quick blip loss of power that is barely more than momentary - if hooked up to a compressor unit, the sealed system has time to equalize before starting back up. This is not needed on a peltier unit.

I cannot think of any feature or setting I might want one of these to have, that it doesn't have.

Backslide, IIRC, suggested them to me in another thread.

Without doing lab quality testing, and no taking of serious notes - the tstat in the Johnson units appear to be more accurate and consistent than the factory units in either of the wineadors I have.

You can set as little as a 1 degree temperature differential, indicated temp inside seems to shift no more than 2 degrees or so - depending on air movement inside the wineador. This is less fluctuation than I was getting prior to putting the units in.

Still having problems maintaining temperature. I had turned the unit off for a while hoping things would reset but no luck. I've searched a few sites and cannot find any real troubleshooting methods for it. I had no idea the ambient temps effected this unit so much. The room its in is dry and temps are 63-68.

I've been looking at the external temperature units again and saw a few what seemed like variations of the Johnson 419 on Amazon. Do the letters mean anything at the end of the model #? I want to be sure I am looking at the right ones. What a bummer.

Am uncertain as to what various models or suffixes mean. For that matter Amazon probably sells a wide variety and I have no clue as to what may best meets your needs.

Am certain that the link I provided is to the model that I am using and is working fine for me.

HTH

ETA - you need an external probe, an AC male plug that goes to wall receptacle and an AC female plug to plug your wineador  into.

route the probe inside the wineador, plug into external control, go thru settings, should be all you need.

Set the wineador tsat to coldest setting, if wineador tstat completely gone will have to bypass (hotwire) to always on. The external unit will then control using temp info from probe.