• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newb pipesmoker

jimmy macelroy

Hi everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I just turned 18 and have started to get into cigars. I really like cigars, but there's something about a pipe that drove me to look into them. I just bought my first pipe, an all black Peterson that looks sick, and am now trying to figure out how to use it. My brother gave me some old flavored tobacco he had for my first smoke. It wasn't terrible, I was more preoccupied with keeping it lit to focus on the flavor. I hope I can get better at this and plan on ordering some better tobacco. I have been looking at Pipeworks and Wilke due to their high ratings and flavor selections. Any tips, tricks, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. That information is really helpful. I just received 8 oz. of 191 from Pipeworks and Wilke. It smells delicious! My question now is what do i need to do to keep the tobacco fresh? Right now it's just in a ziplock bag.

Welcome to the board, and the pipe room. It is important to remember with pipes, that your are constantly perfecting something that takes a while to learn. Pipes are very enjoyable, but take some practice to master. Good luck, and if you need anything were here.

-Taylor

Thanks. That information is really helpful. I just received 8 oz. of 191 from Pipeworks and Wilke. It smells delicious! My question now is what do i need to do to keep the tobacco fresh? Right now it's just in a ziplock bag.

If it's a small amount and you smoke often I would keep in in the bag. If you bought quite a bit and don't smoke to often, or want to store it, try a mason jar with the lid and cap, it seals up nice, and should keep it good and fresh. I smoke mine quite a bit so I just use the bags. My $0.02

Ok so I've smoked about 7 bowls so far, trying to follow those guidelines. The smoke always starts out bitter, but smooths out later. I'm hoping this is only because my pipe is not broken in yet and not due to bad tobacco/bad technique.

It may be the tobacco, or because the pipe is new, who knows. This video is a great visual representation of how to pack a bowl. This is what I use to pack. Works like a charm. Sometimes, it's better to see it done than to read about it.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Hope this helps!

Smoke slow and sip the pipe. It won't be so bitter.