• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Newbie Question

10ring

I'm not sure I even qualify as a newbie yet because I have never even smoked a quality, handmade cigar. I have really been interested in trying it so I recently made my first order, a sampler and a 5-pack totalling 15 cigars. I even had to order the cutter and a torch lighter! The more I read, the more concerned I am that I don't have a humidor to put them in when they arrive. Once I know that cigar smoking is for me, I'll certainly go all-in and get a humidor.

My question is, how should I store my "trial" cigars in order to give me some time to see if I enjoy smoking them?

Unfortunately, I live about 60 miles from the nearest shop and don't have the benefit of a local tobacconist. This site really provides a lot of great information for a beginner and I tried to make my cigar order match your recommendations as much as possible. I'm sure I'll have more questions later!

Thanks and I apologize if this question should have gone in the humidor category. The posts there were so technical that it scared me off! :laugh:

Tupperware and a Boveda pack. If you order the Boveda pack from the same place you ordered the cigars, it'll arrive in plenty of time, as the cigars will be fine on their own for about a week in a sealed container.

~Boar

Tupperware and Boveda work great.

What cigars did you end up getting? If you find one you like you can always ask the folks here for a recommendation for something similar...though they'll probably all just say Padron :D

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks! I'll give the tupperware and boveda a try.

Eric, I got a mild sampler from I.C. I believe it has 2 Vegas Golds, 2 Man o War Virtues, 2 Rocky Patel Connecticuts, 2 Gurkha Symphonys, and 2 Cusano Naturals. To be honest, the "mild" part caught my attention more that the names of the cigars, though I did recognize some of the names. Not sure I actually got anything worth smoking or not. I also got a 5 pack of Drew Estate Javas, hoping to get my wife to try one with me.

Thanks! I'll give the tupperware and boveda a try.

Eric, I got a mild sampler from I.C. I believe it has 2 Vegas Golds, 2 Man o War Virtues, 2 Rocky Patel Connecticuts, 2 Gurkha Symphonys, and 2 Cusano Naturals. To be honest, the "mild" part caught my attention more that the names of the cigars, though I did recognize some of the names. Not sure I actually got anything worth smoking or not. I also got a 5 pack of Drew Estate Javas, hoping to get my wife to try one with me.

First off, welcome. Out of what you are getting, I enjoyed the Rocky Patels and Cusano's when I was first getting into cigars. I don't have a lot of experience with the others, but each person has their own personal tastes. Hopefully you enjoy some of them, and stick with the "hobby". Once you make a decision, if you choose to stay, check out the Newbie Trade Sampler in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum on here. You will likely get a much better selection for your money from one of the members here. Also, check out any of the retailers who post here, as most of them will probably be more than willing to work with you to pick out cigars that will more suit your tastes.

Tupperware and a Boveda pack. If you order the Boveda pack from the same place you ordered the cigars, it'll arrive in plenty of time, as the cigars will be fine on their own for about a week in a sealed container.

~Boar

I did this for months while my humi was being made. works fine.

Thanks again for your reply's. Got my cigars in today. Now I need to slow down long enough to enjoy one!

I'm going to be in New Orleans this weekend and plan on finding a cigar store there and doing some shopping. :)

Store your cigars and her flavored cigars separately. I have read that it's possible the flavoring could marry with your "real" cigars making them flavored as well.