• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Nicauragan tobacco : safe?

Zeebra

Daddy still loves Padrón!
Reaction score
Bob & Dale on the Dogwatch recently brought up an interesting topic regarding Nicauraga that I had been thinking about. With the recent election of Daniel Ortega in Nicauraga, is anyone worried that the tobacco supply from there could be in trouble? Based on the track record of relations with Ortega and the U.S., if sanctions are ever applied again, ALOT of cigar makers would be scrambling since there are so many blends that contain Nic tobacco in them.

Thoughts?

It might be time to buy 10 boxes of my favorite Padrons.

Very different picture there than in the 80's. I highly doubt there will be an embargo.

Politics are one thing, but my guess is that they'll be happy to take our money.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

"At least half of Nicaraguans get by on US$2 (€1.55) a day or less. The country is considered the second poorest in the hemisphere after Haiti."

It's very evident that their current structure wasn't working well. I know we all love to buy their cigars but most of people are suffering badly... Master cigar rollers are being paid higher than doctors.

Daniel Ortega is widely considered to be changed man. He now says that he follows God, not Marx. He pledges to keep Nicaragua aligned with the US, believing it is the best path for the people.

He's still a populist, and he's still unpredictable. You never know.

He has evidently become a devout Catholic. In my experience, the Jesuits down that way, tend to lean a bit to the left.

Doc.

Nicaragua isn't making money from oil or tourism. Having been there dozens of time while I was in the cigar business I'd say that tobacco is a big money maker for the country. If anything you'll most likely see an increase in production and importation of Nicaraguan cigars.

my 3¢

"At least half of Nicaraguans get by on US$2 (€1.55) a day or less. The country is considered the second poorest in the hemisphere after Haiti."

It's very evident that their current structure wasn't working well. I know we all love to buy their cigars but most of people are suffering badly... Master cigar rollers are being paid higher than doctors.

I see stats like that all the time. Although I am curious as to the actual cost of living down there. I think it could be exaggerated, but I really have no clue. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Nicaragua isn't making money from oil or tourism. Having been there dozens of time while I was in the cigar business I'd say that tobacco is a big money maker for the country. If anything you'll most likely see an increase in production and importation of Nicaraguan cigars.

my 3¢

Yup, I'd guess he's traded the cammies in at Brooks Brothers.