• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Noobler question

NullSmurf

Das Bruce
I took my granddaughter to an event yesterday and had a few hours to kill in a different part of town. I plotted a course to take me to some B&M that I don't normally visit and came upon Edward's Pipe and Tobacco. Talk about a blast of history! This shop looks to have been there for decades. The character reminded me of a 19th century general store, only much more densely packed. There was a collage of cigar bands in a picture frame, about 36" by 48" done in the 30's. I didn't recognize a single one. Anyhow, there were three huge cases of pipes ranging from less than a hundred to $4000! Must have been a hundred different tins and enought bulk and shop blends to just blow your mind.

Anyhow, to the point. I grabbed a few tins, including one Virginia Flake. The aroma was WONDERFUL, but this shit is in a brick, like chewing tobacco! How the hell do I get that into a pipe bowl? Turns out, its not a brick after all, but thin slices of brick. I was able to crumble some and load about half a bowl.

Where is the technique for packing from a tin? Cough it up, fogs! All I found was this.

BTW, he had 3 Opus A in the coffin at $25. Its Colorado! They weren't dated but 2008 is a safe bet. Anyone wants one that bad, I'll go get it for you.

Sounds like you found yourself a treasure of a B&M. Those are hard to find.

I don't smoke a pipe all that often. I just prefer cigars. It is a nice occasional diversion from cigars. And it's usually better received than cigars are from those who turn their noses up to the smoke (including from those who are smoking cigarettes :angry: ).

Anyway, I pack my bowls in three stages. No matter what form the tobacco comes in, it should be unraveled until it is loose strands of tobacco.

1. Fill the bowl to its rim with loose flake. Then tamp down somewhat lightly. This compresses the tobacco into the briar, but not so tight it restricts airflow.

2. Fill the bowl to its rim with loose flake. Then tamp down somewhat firmer than step one. Same reasoning as step one, but airflow is not as paramount, as the air hole is at the bottom. Tobacco packed too loosely will smoke harsh ("bite"). Tobacco packed too tight has no airflow. So this stage is medium loose/tight.

3. Fill the bowl to its rim with loose flake. Tamp this the tightest of the three stages. Again, you're not trying to do this so tight you turn it into a solid brick, but you do want to apply good pressure. It makes the smoke smoother and overall easier to smoke (with less tamping required during the smoking of it).

This is how I was taught by my tobacconist years ago. Like I said, though, pipe ain't my #1 love. Maybe the more experienced pipe guys will have better techniques. I'll keep an eye out for the responses on this thread.

You are SO lucky!! :)

I rub out the flake pretty well and let it dry if moist. I like it just getting "crunchy". Some don't rub it out completely and others less or more dry. The packing is the same as most, though. Half fill, lightly tamp, etc.

I put my Flake in the microwave for about 10 seconds and then break it up. It softens in up plus dries it a little which most flake needs anyway. As soon as you take it out break it up then let it sit for a little bit it should be just right to smoke.

I usually rub it out a few times and pack as normal then fold and stuff a few times to see which I prefer with that blend. I usually prefer to rub it out, but some flakes burn a little better if you fold and stuff.

SEE HERE for the fold and stuff method I use.

I always let flakes dry in the bowl for a little while before lighting.

Good luck!