• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Novice Reviews

roboref

This will be my first post/review on this section. After a run-in a few years ago with a tumbler of Laphroaig, I just wasn't ready for the overpowering strength of single malts, but after learning that I had started with a powerhouse. I decided to come back and try to learn scotches as I have been learning about cigars. I started reading AVB's reviews of the every day pours.

I tried the McClleland Highland and Islay, not bad but not really getting me going. Then I tried the Lismmore ($15, a speyside) much more to my liking, warm, smooth and comforting. Also on the bargain hunting trail (on my own) I tried a bottle of Trader Joes 10 yr old scotch ( bottled exclusively at Glem Grant distillery), suppose it is supposed to be the Glen Grant 10yr? I just did not like this at all. The nose was like putting your nose in a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and then the taste followed very closely, medicine, medicine medicine, I like Nyquil better. Maybe others would like this but not me.

I then was able to get in on the 2nd chance AVB scotch buy and chose the Glenfiddich Caoran Reserve ($75). Wow, what a differnce, warm but mellow, strong but not overwhelming, the nose is quite unimpressive, hardly any scent. Then with the first taste a warm, mellow, peaty, smoky glow comes through, with a nice medium finish. From other reviews of this type exactly what I would expect, just so smooth.

Then tonight I bought a minature of Glenfiddich 12yr. I tried the Lismore, Trader Joes, Glenfiddich 12yr and the Glenfiddich Caoran Reserve in a blind taste test administered by my wife. I had not had anything other than the trader joes in the last week. I was able to identify the 2 Glenfiddich products correctly and interchanged the Lismore and Trader Joes. I rated them

1. Glenfiddich Caoran Reserve

2. Glenfiddich 12yr (on sale $23.99)Big bold taste, salty and warm

3. Lismore

4. Trader Joes

I definately could tell a distinct difference between the two premium products and the two everyday pours.

Honestly couldn't really tell the difference on the 2 lower pours.

So, comes to the end my first attempt at reviewing. My wife will attest that I am not a real good taster of subtle flavors, but I still know what I like. I will definately rate the 2 Glenfiddich products very high on what I like. I would keep the Lismore around for everyday and certainly would not buy Trader Joes again.

Thanks for adding your experience to the site.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you are, but I gave up on the low, low end stuff quickly. I made the mistake of splurging (for me, anyway) on a bottle of Balvenie Double Wood 12 yo and a bottle of Glenfiddich Solera Reserve.

Unfortunately, these two selections have stopped my experimenting and my learning process! :laugh:

Nice reviews roboref, it is good to see that you enjoyed your order and I hope you will continue to try different drams.

I made the mistake of splurging (for me, anyway) on a bottle of Balvenie Double Wood 12 yo and a bottle of Glenfiddich Solera Reserve.

Unfortunately, these two selections have stopped my experimenting and my learning process! :laugh:

I hope that doesn't mean you're not going to try anything else.

Nice reviews roboref, it is good to see that you enjoyed your order and I hope you will continue to try different drams.

I made the mistake of splurging (for me, anyway) on a bottle of Balvenie Double Wood 12 yo and a bottle of Glenfiddich Solera Reserve.

I hope that doesn't mean you're not going to try anything else.

Not at all. As time and budget allow I'll be sampling other scotches. I was just having such bad luck with the really inexpensive stuff that I was really happy to discover these. I don't drink all that much, so these two bottles will last for quite some time.

I don't think I'd get away with compiling a collection of bottles like is tolerated with cigars. The bottles take up a lot more room! :laugh: