• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oily Cigars

Onedaful

Hey guys im fairly new to smoking cigars, only smoked for 2 years and have a question. Yesterday i was at my local B&M picking out some cigars to smoke with a few family members that are visiting today. The owner showed me the La Flor dominicana it smelled and looked really nice. When i picked it up i fumbled the sucker because it was so oily. I never held anything like it before it felt like my hands were covered.

I guess what im trying to get at is this normal that its so oily and does the "oily-ness" affect the taste in any cigar?

Thanks guys

Having an oily wrapper is a good sign that the wrapper is in good condition.

Absolutely and Litto does it often. I was smoking a Factory Press II a couple of weeks ago and it was down right shiny.

Yeah it was intensely oily, i thought maybe Paula Deen got a hold of it or something.

Sounds delicious and yes, all the LFD's I've smoked were all super oily. I love it.

My tobacconist thinks they spray the cigars with some 50/50 solution before shipping them. When a cigar stains your hands or leaves marks in the box, something is up.

My tobacconist thinks they spray the cigars with some 50/50 solution before shipping them. When a cigar stains your hands or leaves marks in the box, something is up.

Yeah man thats what i was trying to say, they were wayy wayy oily like all over my hands oily. I dont know what was going on.

I had a cigar once that was so shiny I could see my reflection.

Remember that day Monica?

Sorry I had to.

I badhangover is on the money. Some shops literally have you enter a heated sauna. Others, including some of the better small shops near me actually stick to a happy medium of around where we like to generally keep our personal humidors. I will never understand why high humidity is preferred by some shops because its just helping along the mold or beetles. I know for a fact that an "oily" wrapper so the saying go denotes a good wrapper but if its coming off onto your hands I would really question whats going on. I have some cigars I've kept for over 5 years in perfect conditions and they have a really nice sheen but nothing will wipe off onto your hands as far as I can tell.