• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oliva Nub

robertvgupta

So I'm currently in the process of widening my repertory of cigars and fearlessly trying anything new, so I picked up a Nub cigar by Oliva at my local this afternoon, along with my other usual smokes. This one was a torpedo shape, sporting Nub's Habano wrapper.

Nub built their product on the theory that cigars hit their sweet spot between 3.5-4 inches, and that their cigars, which are never larger than 4 inches, not only have the same amount of tobacco as a Presidente or Churchill size cigar, they also smoke as long. To make up for their short stature, the Nubs sport outrageously large ring gauges, from 56-66.

Given the recent hype, I decided to try one, and was quite disappointed.

Prelight: I noticed that the bunching at the foot was uneven and a little uncouth. The cigar seems solid enough, but I didn't like the chunky construction. Wrapper was veiny, and there was a little hole at the pointed head of the torpedo construction; small, but large enough for me to draw through and smoke the cigar if I so pleased. I got the aroma of honey and tea, and thought I was in for a good time.

First 3rd: A medium body smoke, with medium-high spice, and a good amount of smoke. More monotone pepper - but a coarse and unrefined taste that really didn't go anywhere the rest of the smoke.

The website boasts seemingly impossible pictures of fully smoked Nubs standing on the foot of the cigar supported by nothing but thick white ash: this held true, until a strong wind knocked my cigar of the table, but after I retrieved my overpriced investment, I noticed that the white ash was only along the outer girth of the cigar, due to the burning of the relatively decent wrapper - the binder and filler tobaccos sported a darker, gunmetal ash. If this is common, that only speaks to my inexperience as a smoker, but everything I've had so far has a relatively uniform colored ash.

The rest of the cigar started going downhill: the tobacco in this cigar is not particularly spectacular, but with glimpses of greatness; if I sipped lightly, I got some butter and floral hints, but when dragged on deeply, I started receiving burgeoning tastes of turpentine, which, with the increasing heat of the cigar, didn't help the overall experience. When I started tasting a solid precipitate on my tongue, I put the bugger down.

There was a mild recurrence of honey and tea, but my palate was so assaulted by the turpentine that I decided to send this one to the depths after a mere 25 minutes.

That ash did hold, though...

Thanks for the review. I haven't had one, but I'm willing to give it a shot being an Oliva fan. I like your detail.

Very good review. The Habano wrapper, in my opinion, was the best of the bunch. Unfortunately, that is not saying much.

Nice review. Great details.

For my money, you've basically affirmed what I suspected. I just can't get my head (or mouth) around such a ring size. Even as I kid I never liked those gargantuan jawbreakers. I think I'll stick with the 38-50 range...

As much as I like Sam Leccia, the cigars are mediocre at the most.

They are basically just a fad cigar, probably fading to nonexistence within the next year or two.

The habano wrapper was definitely the best...but still not too good. I just can't get over the rediculous ring guages they have in their lineups! I gave each line a shot, smoking the thinnest and the thickest ring guage of the three, and without a doubt, the best of all three were the thinnest ring guage sizes. Way, way overhyped! Just my .02

I have tried a few different sizes of this one and the Cameroon wrapper a few weeks ago and i have to say pretty much the same that has already said. No real taste and not satisfying at all, i was kinda disappointed.

Good review. I had a similar experience with this cigar. It wasnt as bad as yours, but I was left with a harsh flavor toward the end.

I also tried the Habano. Mine was the 464 size, which is a parejo - not a torp. I share the common sentiment; okay, but not spectacular. I like the philosophy of a sweet spot cigar - but I think part of the equation is missing. Although the size is similar to that in which one would hit the sweet spot of a longer cigar - the part that's missing is all the stuff that coats the tobacco inside from smoking the first 2/3. In essence, you create the sweet spot by smoking the first 2/3. I think that's what makes the last 1/3 great, not just size alone.

Just my 2¢.

I have a Nub sitting my humidor resting. Ill have to see if I like it in a few weeks when I get around to pulling it out. Hope it is better than yours.

I'll buy it when it is $35.00 / box or $2.00 a stick. No more than that. That is what the cigar is worth. Pure hype. Coolaid with a log of sugar in it. Pitiful that Oliva had to come up with such a quacky scheme.

The concept of Nub Cigars struck me as preposterous from the very start. If I buy a Nub out of curiosity, then I run the risk of supporting the line. I will just go ahead and trust the many negative reviews that I've seen and heard.

-Mark

I've had a couple of the Habano 464 I believe, I wasn't all that impressed with them.

Saw a 5'er of the Nubs' for a pretty decent price, thought about snaggin' it, and even if I didn't like 'em I could trade them, but after reading your review I've declined; I don't mind a subtle pepperish taste in a 'gar, but wouldn't be able to handle it throughout.

Thanks for the review!