• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oliva Series V - Lancero

oracle202

Wrapper: Habano Sun Grown
Binder:
Nicaraguan
Filler:
Jalapa Valley Ligero

This is one of my favorite vitolas, and this one is perfectly constructed, triple capped. Nice and firm. The wrapper feels toothy and smells of dark chocolate and coffee.

It really smells fantastic. The wrapper almost looks like it was taken from the Padron reserves. It is really that rich and dark and flawless. Pre-light draw tastes of cocoa and nuts.​
Easily lights up and right off the bat I get a subtle sweetness off the rich tobacco flavor. Good helping of cedar and wood shows up here in the first third. By the second third, the sweetness fades out and the cedar and wood seem to over take the smoke. I wouldn't call this leathery, but I suspect some of you might pick up leather components to this. There is also a hint of spice on the back palate.

By the final third this cigar was starting to disappoint. The cedar and wood flavors developed a bitter edge and the smoke was getting very warm in the mouth. I put this cigar down just before it would have burned past the band. It's almost as if the cigar started off with the best flavors and then slowly degraded every one of them. I was really digging the taste of this cigar in the first third. Too bad it just couldn't keep it up.

If you like cedar/wood flavors and for some reason like a little bitter edge too it, this is the cigar for you. It is not, however, the cigar for me.

Try another one before discounting these. I've had a couple of these that were less than good, but the majority have been outstanding.

Oddly enough I had Olivia Series V Lancero today after class this morning. I went to one of the local B & M's in Long Beach and picked one up for a nice early afternoon smoke and the only complaint I had was when I went to punch the cap I must have pushed to hard (or the store punch was dull) and split the warper at the base of the cap. However that did not stop me from enjoying a relatively inexpensive lancero that has an above average flavor profile. On another note is was really nice to finally get the private lounge to myself :cool:

Try another one before discounting these. I've had a couple of these that were less than good, but the majority have been outstanding.

I always smoke at least three of each of the cigars I review. And you're right on the money, one of these smoked beautifully, with no real harsh edge towards the end. But the majority had this kind of bitter action that seemed to crucendo towards the end. The flavor profile on this cigar just isn't for me, I like more coffee and toast flavors in my cigars. This was on the strong side of cedar/wood flavors which just isn't for me. BUT, if you really like those flavors, I would say at the price these are at ($6 bucks for mine), these are well made and very good for the price.

How long do these guys burn for? I've been looking for a quick 30 minute smoke and these sound pretty good to me (I like the cedary/woodsy flavors).

I had one of these a few months ago. Definitely very enjoyable for a somewhat brief (25-30 min depending on puffs) smoke. I found it great while doing simple yardwork and enjoying some time outdoors. I had the same issue with punching the cap but overall it was fantastic.