• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

On a beautiful spring day....

Certifried

...there was a cigar newbie that fell in love. Here is my story.

Having enjoyed cigars for a few years I finally decided it was time to "get serious". Recently out of the Army after 10 years and finally making a fat paycheck I found myself wanting for a hobby to enjoy. Something to add to my "culture" so I had a little more sophistication about myself. I visited the local cigar shops and picked up a few cigars, thinking price meant quality. I also picked up a copy of the recent Cigar Aficionado and discovered their rating system. Visiting their website, I picked some cigars that interested me from the top of the list (non-cuban of course :( ). I'd like to share my experience today with you in hopes that it will help some of you to wax nostalgic about your "first time" with a REAL cigar.

The cigar: Te-Amo Aniversario Toro Maduro. It's rated in the 90's which I figure must be good and it was the first one from that list I could get hold of. I made myself a short list of ones that looked interesting to me. This was the one I could find and get the quickest.

The day: the most beautiful spring day in the Baltimore area this year. mid-70s and a very gentle breeze. A chair on my front porch on a quiet street with the trees gently swaying. Coincidence or providence?

The drink: Macallan 12 year old scotch. Again, happened upon this by luck researching "proper" drinks to go with my new found hobby.

I could tell from the start that this wasn't going to be like any swisher sweet smoking I'd ever had. The cigar was dark, and I finally understood what was meant by oily. The stick, as it seems I should call it, had a distinct feel to it. Oh, the excitement was building! With drink in hand and the unlit stick, I sat down on the porch. My trusty Harley Davidson zippo flared to life and the stick was put in my mouth. Wow! It wasn't even lit yet and I could taste how magnificent it was. A few puffs and a check to make sure it was evenly lit I settled into my chair.

Puff.....Puff....

Cool, smooth smoke filled my senses. I was completely overwhelmed. The ratings had said "black cherry, toast, nut and vanilla flavors". I couldn't make a single flavor out at all. It was apparent early on that my palate was neither refined nor complex enough to handle the overload. Ooooh this was good!

I took another deep draw, purposefully making the smoke drag across my tongue in a desperate attempt to discern a single flavor. Not a chance, this stick was far too advanced for me to even attempt an analysis on. I decided to just enjoy, letting my senses relax and just enjoy the ride. That ride hit me fast and hard. The "buzz" hit me like a ton of cotton. Why cotton? It was far too pleasant to be called bricks, I know you thought I was going to say that. No, this wasn't your cheap swisher sweet or marlboro buzz, this was something I still can't explain. Relaxing. Soothing. Euphoric.

It was time to take a sip of the Macallan. I was already 1/3 of the way through the bottle and hadn't much enjoyed it (please put the bats down and read on). I sipped and once again was overwhelmed. It was smooth, sweet and didn't sting my nose as it had in the past. Whoah! Can a cigar make that much of a difference?? I lost track of all time and got lost in the sensory overload I was experiencing.

Puff....Puff....sip....sip...

The experience was unlike any other I've had. I don't know how long it too me to drink the Macallan and smoke the Te-Amo but I enjoyed every minute (hour?) of it. The aftertastes still fill my senses and I'm not sure I'll brush my teeth tonight (ok ok, I will, promise). That was truly an experience that I'll never forget. My first quality stick.

cheers!

Very nice!

I haven't had the Te-Amo or the Macallan........but, sounds yummy :)

Baltimore huh........70........and a nice breeze..... ???

Try this - So Cal...............85.........smoke filled smoggy air - Sun looks like HELL itself (3 wild fires burning within 15 miles) sky is burnt orange, brown, and patches of blue here and there. :(

M. Gipson

I grew up in San Luis Obispo, I'm only in Balti because that's where the Army dropped me off (and the pay is insanely high). My parents still live in SLO and my in-laws are in Ojai. Today looked like a good weather day and they got a leg up on the fires. Stay safe out there! Glad you enjoyed the story. Let me know if you want to try the Te-Amo. I'm not sure how hard they are to get, probably easy since I got them. I bought a box.

Certifried said:
The ratings had said "black cherry, toast, nut and vanilla flavors". I couldn't make a single flavor out at all. It was apparent early on that my palate was neither refined nor complex enough to handle the overload.

I took another deep draw, purposefully making the smoke drag across my tongue in a desperate attempt to discern a single flavor. Not a chance, this stick was far too advanced for me to even attempt an analysis on. I decided to just enjoy, letting my senses relax and just enjoy the ride.
Don't stress on it, enjoy it. There are some serious cigar connosieurs that are the same way.

Nice review. There are a number of us in the Balto area, I'm just across the line in PA, Beefcube is in Baltimore County, Oak & Lumberg in the DC area and maybe 1 or 2 I missed.

I don't know what you do but I do know that after the service almost anything pay wise will seem insanely high. I worked in the corridor between Balt-DC and the pay was 20% higher but I spent almost 80-90 minutes each way on the commute too.

Hey good post, made me remember.
We just had a small herf last saturday in the Camden Yards area. Hopefully next one you can join in.

That's great to hear a few of you are in this area! I would definitely love to come to a herf as long as you all are willing to nurture the newb so I don't commit any herf "party fouls". I was trained to speak Arabic for the Army which required a TS/SCI clearance but, as is typical in the Army, I rarely did what I was trained to do. I was in a unit dealing with computer security. So having Arabic, a clearance, and a UNIX security background coming out of the Army after 10 years....I had no lack of offers. I work in Columbia and will soon move to New Market so the drive will only be about 30 minutes. Anyway, that's enough about me! You just let me know when and where and I'll be there!

I had a friend from Hatfield Mississippi who was sent o DLS for Arabic. When I ran into him years later he still had the southern accent. Arabic with a Mississippi drawl is pretty damn funny.

Sounds like you did alright by Uncle Sam. I never got any Unix in my position but the TS/SBI did come in handy for other things. I was working down in Columbia myself for awhile, on Columbia Gateway Drive. 62 miles one way but if you caught the traffic wrong or there was an accident it took forever to get there or get home.

it's a small world :)

I spent 63 weeks out in Monterey at DLI, which was pretty neat since I grew up in San Luis Obispo, just two hours south. I'm working on Col-gateway drive now :)

I'm in Owings Mills, your not too far.
Yeah you newbies at a herf are pretty funny. You should of seen the newbies at the last herf they were hilarious..... oh wait that was me and my friend... never mind... move on nothing to see here.