• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Once Again It's Cigar Aficionado Top 25 of the Year

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
LINK

As always there's a few sketchy selections, but overall it's the most believable in recent memory.

The top selection of the Pepin Le Bijou 1922 is not a bad choice, I've had a few that were pretty good. But I found them not to be very consistent and the wrappers seem a bit fragile, I've had more than a few split on me. Good stick though, especially the torpedo mentioned here.

The RASS at #2 is not surprising....when they're "on". And that is always the concern. They have been way better lately from the one's I've smoked from '14, & '15.

Of course #3 & #7 stand out in the top 10. A CAO cigar on this list has got to be a first. The RP Edge at #7 is crazy if you ask me. While not an offensive smoke (think great bundle cigar), definitely not a top 100...let alone a top 10. I'd like to hear from someone that has smoked the CAO Flathead 660 and what your thoughts are.

The Fuente Don Carlos Belicoso is an interesting selection at #4. While the DC #2 was a basic for me for many years after the CC bust of '98-'99...I've found them very inconsistent the last few years. By that I mean, they just don't taste the same as they used to...as is the case with their Hemingway line as well, another of my ex-old favorites.

The Padron Family Reserve 50 Years (5x54) at #5 is another interesting choice. I guess based on my high expectations of this cigar, I didn't think it lived up to it's billing in either the Natural or Maduro wrapper. But not much from Padron has done that for me the last few years, especially their expensive sticks. Now the cigar out of the $5,300.00 Padron 50th Anniversary Humidor (6 1/2x50), that's another story. I've had people tell me it was the best cigar they've ever smoked...and that's coming from serious cigar smokers. But at $70.00 a stick, all that smoked it said "it wasn't THAT good!"

At #6...the Illusione Ultra Op. No. 9....I love this cigar! But then again, most of Dion's cigars are in my wheelhouse blend-wise.

At #9, The Bolivar BF has been my Monti #2 replacement since the early 90s...when they were smoke-able that is. When they are on, these could be my 'stranded on a desert island' cigar.

At #11, the Hammer & Sickle, the few of this brand I've smoked were absolute dog rockets...but they weren't this particular cigar. Impressions on this one would be appreciated.

At #14...I gotta get my hands on a few of these to sample. I have a love/hate relationship with Trinidad. They're either sour & bitter as hell when you first get them (then storing them to see if they come around) or they are dead nuts on target and taste great. There seems to be no in between to me. But at $17.00+
a stick for a 4 3/8 x 54....that's friggin nuts.

At #18, a BAT (General Cigar) offering. Can't say I've bought a Dunhill in the last 15 years or more. Also, at #20, another cigar by a mass producer in Plasencia (Altadis). Anyone smoke either of these two? Thoughts?

At #21, the Nat Sherman, I've smoked a handful of these and they weren't bad. But that's it, not bad, but not memorable either. Top 25?...:eek:. This stick to me is what we would smoke as an every day cigar, one you'd light up, smoke for 20-30 minutes and put down without feeling guilty that you didn't finish the whole thing.

A NUB cigar in the Top 25 of all cigars made on Earth...LMFAO!

What do you guys think of the list and what are your impressions of the cigars on the list that you have smoked?

Last edited:
Great post... I might even try one of these non-Cubans after reading this...

What amazes me is the fact that there are only 2 Cubans on this list, when 2014 and 2015 have been the best years since I can remember for quality and consistency.. The 2015 BBF's are crazy good, the 2014 Expendidos and R y J Churchills are fantastic... The only thing I worry about is the aging potential of these new batches... It is obvious to me that their process of fermentation is vastly different... when I can smoke a July 2015 BBF that tastes like it is 5 years old... Hopefully they age just as good as the older (pre 1998) tobacco does, then I will be one happy camper.

Great post... I might even try one of these non-Cubans after reading this...

What amazes me is the fact that there are only 2 Cubans on this list, when 2014 and 2015 have been the best years since I can remember for quality and consistency.. The 2015 BBF's are crazy good, the 2014 Expendidos and R y J Churchills are fantastic... The only thing I worry about is the aging potential of these new batches... It is obvious to me that their process of fermentation is vastly different... when I can smoke a July 2015 BBF that tastes like it is 5 years old... Hopefully they age just as good as the older (pre 1998) tobacco does, then I will be one happy camper.

That's the white elephant in the room that no one is talking about...at least publicly. All us CC smokers are discussing it though. I brought this up to Tom (BBS) some time ago as it related to the big European retailers not taking their usual huge stockpiles of cigars to age in their humidified warehouses. It's widely known what they are doing different...yet they still deny any new processes. Like everything Cuban, they mask everything is secrecy. Commie bastids!

Personally, I don't think they will age well. In my experience, you need to start with a good, stout cigar to have it stand the test of time. For anyone that has smoked CC for any length of time, you can taste 'potential' in a cigar....even while it's still not all that enjoyable in it's present state. I can't tell you how many CC I've smoked in the last 15 years that were crappy out of the box and were still crappy 8 years later. I think if we're starting out with an almost overly smooth tasting cigar, I'm inclined to believe it will lose some of it's flavor over time. I hope I'm wrong.

The CAO made me scratch my head. I thought it was horrible (smoked 3 after letting them rest, for about 3 weeks, in my 69/69 humidor).
That said, I have had several cigars over the years that seemed to be flukes, yet that one cigar (sometimes a OR box) was absolutely amazing and unforgettable (never to be repeated). An original version CAO Extreme, An Oliva Grand Cameroon Robusto, a Gurkha, a post Carrillo LGC Corona Gorda, several "blend samples" that manufacturers or shops have asked me to evaluate, etc.
I wonder if sometimes this happens with CA, but then it would have to be more than one cigar, if how they say they review by panel is true. I'd also rather that they pull them from their own stock so we have some storage history. Over the past few years, only one brand has not disappointed me in the flavor department., and that is Illusione.

I wonder what % are on the list based only on advertising...

I agree with a few though, I'm a huge RASS fan.
I also had the Vigia and thought it was a nice stick....

I noticed this too. I'm wondering if they are using processed Nicaraguan Tobacco, to some degree.

A small island supplying the world with tobacco....

No doubt shenanigans ongoing....

Well, it certainly IS a little weird seeing a CAO, a Rocky Patel, a NUB and and Alec Bradley product on that list . . . that's for sure.

The Ashton Symmetry definitely belongs, though, as does the Illusione Ultra. Both of those are just fantastic smokes. The Julius Caesar torp in this year's TAA coffin was one I would have thought would surely make the list . . . that thing was incredible!

~Boar

I'm not interested in any sort of ratings where they only smoke an inch or two of a cigar in their process.

I'm not interested in any sort of ratings where they only smoke an inch or two of a cigar in their process.

I think this is one of the major issues, besides several others, in their "process".
I can't even watch them smoke. They put half the cigar in their mouths. Maybe that's why they only smoke a couple of inches...afraid of burning their lips? :D

I think this is one of the major issues, besides several others, in their "process".
I can't even watch them smoke. They put half the cigar in their mouths. Maybe that's why they only smoke a couple of inches...afraid of burning their lips? :D

When I see this type of smoking technique, there's certainly a Carlin joke that floats through my little brain...

I've tried the number 8 (Aston Symmetry Robusto) a couple of days ago. Not bad, not great. The Illusione (6) was awesome!

I've tried the number 8 (Aston Symmetry Robusto) a couple of days ago. Not bad, not great. The Illusione (6) was awesome!
Without a doubt, Ashton always constructs a nice cigar with decent tobacco. Worthy of the #8 rating?

Well, it certainly IS a little weird seeing a CAO, a Rocky Patel, a NUB and and Alec Bradley product on that list . . . that's for sure.

The Ashton Symmetry definitely belongs, though, as does the Illusione Ultra. Both of those are just fantastic smokes. The Julius Caesar torp in this year's TAA coffin was one I would have thought would surely make the list . . . that thing was incredible!

~Boar
I've developed a new respect for Alec Bradley over the last several years...mostly because of Isy (Smoke Inn) talking them up and bringing some with him when he would visit us up North. It started with their Prensado line which was a very smooth & creamy smoke. They followed that up with the Tempus (and Tempus Maduro) & the Black Market lines that are some decent smokes too. The candela (Black Market) wrapped St. Paddy's Day release is pretty damn good, I bought a few boxes of them and did a few box splits with other CP members. They also came out with a cigar called the Texas Lancero (7x70) that was ridiculous in size, but decent in flavor...had it been smaller, I think they would have had a winner on their hands...but instead they went with the trickery of the format to sell it.

So when I saw an Alec Bradley on the list, I didn't think twice about it being a phony, advertising driven rating at all. I figured it belonged there on it's own merit and deserved a smoke before passing any sort of judgement based solely on the brand.

But I get where Boar is coming from, prior to these better cigars from them, they made basically dog rockets with fancy bands for the masses.

The candela (Black Market) wrapped St. Paddy's Day release is pretty damn good,
I love this cigar. More than the original, which is a decent smoke that reminds me of some cigars before the boom. I have some from the original release. I need to smoke one. One of the best cigars I've ever smoked was a pre-embargo Cuban Candela.

I don't know, I read that list every year and scratch my head and say really? While I do have a strong addiction to Bolivars(BRC over RASS), to say the RASS is number 2 cigar for 2015 is a stretch. Nub being a top 25 cigar kind of quantifies the list for me as a ad for their advertisers. YMMV

It's the same from year to year on this list. CA does a decent job of blending in some actual good cigars with their top advertisers to create a Top 25 that creates conversation among cigar smokers. A portion of the list is just believable enough to make you wonder how could it be possible that some of the others made it. At the end of the day it's just a list of 25 cigars. Some are really good, so they can't be left off of the list, some are bad but they advertise so much they can't be left off of the list.

I am a subscriber to CA, and probably will be for a long time. But I know what I'm getting, and I'm ok with it. But I'm not believing that NUB broke the Top 25. It invalidates the rest in my opinion.

Look at the list with a bit skepticism. The magazine has to placate advertisers and friends. Readers who are not as savvy as those of us here look to this publication as the oracle of Delphi was consulted by the ancient Greeks. Nubs, for instance have been around for quite a while and this is the first time they have been in the top 25. One might have to ask what has changed? One suggestion is the editors need to broaden their selection of cigars they use for the rating, or quit drinking so much wine before they do the ratings.

You all keep doubting....meanwhile I'm over here loading up on NUBs. :rolleyes: