• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oozing at tip..tar?

Cigar FF

Forgive me for my ignorance but I'm guessing it's tar but not sure. I just smoked a cigar and where I had punched it, a brown liquid was present at the tip. It was brown and I noticed it about 1/4 of the way through the cigar. I was smoking a Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real.

1) Am I using the correct term.. tar? If not, what would it be called?
2) What causes this?

I've smoke quite a few of these and never saw it before. I attempted to blot it a few times and it reappeared. I did not taste it but when I touched it with my finger, it "stained" my finger.

I searched around and saw something about tar but it was for a specific cigar. Being that I'm not sure of the proper terminology, I figured I would try to describe it. Not sure if this is what I experienced, but I would like to know if it's something I can correct.

It happens. Really, it just depends on the particular leaf a cigar uses---some are "juicier" than others. It's more noticeable when you punch, and the remedy is simple: when it happens, clip instead. The tar buildup will disappear.

~Boar

I wonder why it hasn't happened before. I'm glad to know it's a common thing and not an issue with the humidor. I was afraid it may have had something to do with the cigar being too moist. I've been having RH stability issues and have since purchased beads and a new hygrometer. I'm hoping this fixes the RH issues and provides peace of mind.

I used to clip my cigars and went to a punch as I liked it better. I guess I'll have to experiment with cutting again. Thanks!

I played around with punching until I discovered this. I only clip now unless I leave my Xikar cutter at home by mistake (my lighter has a built in punch.)

It happens. Punch first if you like. Clip at the first hint of tar. You'll figure it out after a few times.

Had a lot of Anejo 55's (torps) that have done that to me. Torps seem to do it more than others; or a small punch on a big RG.

Never had a CC do it, though.

I basically only punch my cigars and I have yet to see this. Or maybe I just didn't notice it, would it dramatically change the flavor? or not at all?

I basically only punch my cigars and I have yet to see this. Or maybe I just didn't notice it, would it dramatically change the flavor? or not at all?

Does not change the flavor at all unless you touch your tongue on the tar......Then your done for the day!

I punch whenever possible and I really have only had this problem with certain Fuentes. Like jfields said, its only a problem if you let it touch your tongue (or clothes).

Its never happened to me before either, at least that I noticed. Thankfully, it did not touch my tongue or my clothes so all is well there. So my taste was left intact!

The learning continues...

Oozing at tip?? Sounds like a case for Doc! :sign:

But yeah, I usually clip and I've only had the issue once with an anejo. Pretty much echoing what everyone else has said.

I've had it several times, especially on Hemingway maduros. I switched from punching to cutting and haven't had it happen once since.

When it does just dab it off with a napkin or paper towel and smoke on.

If you're oozing at the tip, you should see the Dr...stat..... ;)

Ok, I kid, I kid. Yep, it happens. Most of my carefully stored Anejo's do this regularly. Sometimes even with a generous cut on the end, it'll still happen. Just chop another 1/16" off and you should be good to go. Just don't put your tounge in it...!!

Does not change the flavor at all unless you touch your tongue on the tar......Then your done for the day!

Once I was getting ready to smoke a torpedo and the only cutter I had was a v-cutter. No biggie, I thought, I'll just cut it with this. Cut was an interesting shape, but the draw was alright. I started smoking that and about half way through there so much tar built up it did affect the taste. I was busy doing something or just not paying attention and one puff I took off that thing destroyed me. I think the tar vaporized and I inhaled it... I was wrecked... Just a little warning to throw out there. :D

haha and I tried to be as careful as possible with my wording around this crowd. Thankfully, we are talking cigar tips and not the ones that make many of our decisions... :p

I'm still curious to know if there is a reason why it happens one time and not the next and why it seems to be more common with a punch vs a cut.

I'm still curious to know if there is a reason why it happens one time and not the next and why it seems to be more common with a punch vs a cut.

Punches concentrate the smoke (and the tar) to a smaller area than a cut does. If a cigar is going to tar up, it will be more likely to do so when the smoke is concentrated into a smaller area than with a nice open cut of the end of the cigar.

Some cigars are clearly more likely to do this than others, but never forget you are dealing with a hand made product, and some stick to stick variation is to be expected. Storage RH, smoking temperature, phase of the moon, etc...all will likely have some effect as well.

Once I was getting ready to smoke a torpedo and the only cutter I had was a v-cutter. No biggie, I thought, I'll just cut it with this. Cut was an interesting shape, but the draw was alright. I started smoking that and about half way through there so much tar built up it did affect the taste. I was busy doing something or just not paying attention and one puff I took off that thing destroyed me. I think the tar vaporized and I inhaled it... I was wrecked... Just a little warning to throw out there.
I notice this also happens with the v-cut on the torpedoes. Not all but a couple. It ruined a cigar for me and hasn't made me want to try that cigar again. I'll have to try it with a different cut

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the explanation BBS.

Now that my beads and digital hygro arrived and is calibrated, I can start getting more serious about this interest.

I've had a few time when I'll get some tar buildup and and the cigar will seem to sour on me, almost to the point of stopping. Most times however, a re-clip (as the others have said) brings it straight back to when I was enjoying it earlier. I only recall once when this did not help the situation.
I also recall only one time when I tasted it on my tongue. Trust me, you do not want to do this. :D
G~

Hmm, just experienced this yesterday with a Ave Maria Reconquista and I touched my tongue to the tip before I realized it had tarred up...tasted like extremely sour grapes :0 . Clipped down the tip and luckily I was able to ward off the taste and finish the cigar.