• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X Fuente Fuente

CulturedHick

Aderaline Junkie
After a long day at work and with dinner out of the way, I decided a little relaxation was in order. I filled my glass with Four Roses Small Batch and headed to the humidor. I wanted something better that the “usual” smoke, so to the bottom of the humidor I went. I found an Opus X Fuente Fuente that I bought from LilBastage during his “Big ol’ Sale” for the Scouts. Perfect. I have not had this size Opus before.

It was hot and humid on the back porch this evening so I turned on the ceiling fan, tasted my bourbon and unwrapped the cigar. I find it to beautifully constructed with one fine vein, a little tooth and no soft spots. A prelight sniff reveals a nice woodsy/earthy aroma. After clipping the cap, the cold draw contains a nice woodsy flavor with a little spice. Now I toasted the foot, set it down to rest for a minute and sample my bourbon again. A couple of small puffs then a deep draw provide a great deal of thick smoke with the flavors of well aged tobacco, wood and just a little peppery spice. This is going to be one great smoke!

As I continue thru the first 1/3 of the cigar, the woodsy and earthly flavors are still there with the pepper becoming more prevalent. A few puffs later I start to detect a hint of cinnamon in the woodsy flavor. About ½ ways thru, the pepper starts to mellow, the cinnamon flavor is more noticeable and I taste some leather also. The last third is full of the woodsy, well aged tobacco flavor with a hint of sweetness and leather.

This was a great medium bodied, very flavorful cigar! The wood, earth and spice flavors were very well balanced; it never got harsh or bitter and pared very well with the Four Roses Small Batch. Due to the smoothness of this cigar, I think it had several years of age on it.

I had a great evening! Thanks for reading. I don’t normally write reviews, this being my second, but I enjoyed the cigar so much, I wanted to share the experience.

I believe age plays a huge roll in th Opus family. The Fuente Fuente is one of my favorites. I have some form each of the last 7 years and the older they are the better they are! You were fortunate to try one with some age.

Opus with age is always a nice experience. I have found all the OpusX that I picked up in 2009 didn't smoke well fresh. A very bitter cigar so I stashed them away in the back of the humidor. I am now starting to revisit them and they have turned for the better. I think with another year on them then be really nice. But then again, the Opus that I've been picking up this year are smoking well fresh.

Back