• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X Petite Lancero 2005

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
Fuente Fuente Opus X Petite Lancero 2005
Size: 5 1/8" x 43 rg
Wrapper: Dominican
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican
Strength: Full

A few months ago, I was bombed severely by none other than the master himself, AVB. Included in the package of destruction was this gem of a smoke, which I had been saving for the right day. Now, I actually smoked this cigar yesterday for my Christmas smoke, but I didn't get a chance to sit down and type out the review for obvious reasons. I had originally intended to smoke an Opus X Rising X from 2008, but due to time constraints I decided on something a little smaller. I'll be firing up that Rising X for New Years instead, it isn't getting out of getting torched, no sirs!

Pre-Light

After peeling off the extra band that had been applied outside the cellophane that read, "Petite Lancero 2005", I took a closer look at the cellophane that was still covering the cigar. There was indeed a slight tinge of yellowing to it that could be seen when held up to the sun. I discarded the cello at this point to begin examining the cigar, which revealed a construction that was completely flawless and could only be described as gorgeous. The wrapper was glistening with oils and reeked of that familiar spicy sweet, almost honey like Opus scent. The leaf had a soft, supple feel to the touch, was completely smooth and devoid of veins. The head was a perfectly executed tapered tip, and the foot was bunched extremely well.

Burn & Draw

Once the head was cut, I found a perfect cold draw that, once the cigar was lit, stayed consistent throughout the smoke. The burn was razor sharp aside from some initial touch-ups in the first inch.

Flavor Profile

I love the pre-light draw on Opus, the spicy sweetness of the tobacco is entirely unique to its line. Once lit, I could not believe the amount of power this thing had right off the bat, even after four years of age! The flavor array was a full throttle mix of honey, vanilla, coriander, oak, rich tobacco, and toasted nuts. Amazing. Absolutely amazing. My head was spinning towards the nub on this thing, and I was truly sad to see it end. Thank you so, so very much to AVB for sending me this cigar, it was the perfect smoke for my Christmas day.

DSC_2538.jpg

DSC_2541.jpg

DSC_2542.jpg

DSC_2543.jpg

DSC_2546.jpg

MMmmmm...mmmmm...mmmm!! I've smoked quite a few of the Opus PL the past month or so and they have all been excellent. I'm sure with several years age, that was one helluva smoke! So how 'bout that lobster?? :D Excellent review Charles!

Very nice review and great pictures. I really like the PLs but I can't smoke them very often because they kick my butt!

Nice review. You have to be careful with those PL's. They can pack quite a punch, but are still my most favorite Opus to smoke. To me they have a totally different taste than any other.
I think I smoke more PL's than any other Opus.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Art

Nice review and pictures. On the topic of pictures yours are very crisp! The wrapper on that PL looks perfect, just the right shade!

Very nice review and great pictures. I really like the PLs but I can't smoke them very often because they kick my butt!

I'm with you there brother! I enjoy the hell out of them, but every time I smoke one, I end up with a set of very unsteady legs.

That looks delicious... MMM I dont care how it smokes, it looks good enough to eat! hahah

I'd have to agree with several people here that the PL is probably my favorite Opus. Thanks for the review and the quality pics! I look forward to reading about your Rising X experience!

I'd have to agree with several people here that the PL is probably my favorite Opus. Thanks for the review and the quality pics!

Nice review.

This thread reminds me of two things. PL is my favorite Opus as well ... AND ... I need to learn more than a few things about digital photography.