• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus XXX

Irish

XXXL
Cigar: Fuente Fuente Opus X - Belicoso xXx (AKA the "Power Ranger")
Size: 4.625" x 49

I ventured outside this evening and found sound really strange weather - a really neat mist and fairly warm temperatures for this time of the year here in Jersey. So I ran back inside and picked out a cigar I've been meaning to try for quite a while. This cigar was actually part of my newbie sampler trade from when I first joined CP, but I took my trader's advice (thanks Frank!) and sat on this puppy for the better part of a year. Upon digging it out of the humi, it had a "do not open until Christmas" sticker on it... :laugh: So, it was time to burn it!

The cigar was beautifully constructed (sorry no pics, it was dark), with no soft or hard spots anywhere. The head snipped clean and the prelight draw was very good, full but not tight. After toasting the foot I was immediately met with a powerful start. Not harsh or bitter, but man these things start with a bang. Tons of peppery tobacco made my tongue, throat and nose tingle. The body strength seemed to overpower the flavor, which was pretty much a spicy tobacco that wasn't anything special. I also got some shots of what tasted like the bittersweet flavor you'd get from a sun grown wrapper like a VSG - again it was overpowering and I was quickly getting disappointed. It was all power but lacked any distinguishing flavors.

After about an inch though, the strength backed down and the flavor really took over the cigar. A wonderful clean tobacco flavor with toasty leather notes broke through. The flavor continued to change and became more complex as the cigar progressed, interchanging between rich leathery tobacco, some dark earthy backgrounds, and then some sweet highlights and aftertastes. Again, I swore I was getting some sun grown wrapper highlights (good this time, complementing the overall flavor instead of overpowering the taste), though I know these cigars have the rosada wrappers. The burn and draw were excellent throughout the cigar, and it got better as it progressed. The finish was awesome - warm and buttery and never even a hint of bitterness. I smoked it down to the nub. While I didn't get the "knocked me on my butt" nic punch that a lot of folks get, I could definitely sense a slight pleasant nic buzz from the strength of the cigar. Overall, I really enjoyed this cigar, and will let the others I've picked up over the year rest for next summer. :thumbs:

Great review! Definitely some powerful little suckers they are. I may smoke an Opus tomorrow just cause your review made me feel like it. :D Thanks!

Nice review Matt but this thread is useless without pics! :sign: I love the Power Rangers and have never been disappointed. There must be some similarity between the Sun Grown and Rosado wrappers because I get that sun grown flavor, to some degree or another, with just about every Opus. Ditto on the weather, I've been waiting for today all week. Could very well be the last halfway decent day to enjoy a cigar outside round these parts until the spring, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Wednesday. :thumbs:

Nice review Matt but this thread is useless without pics! :sign:

Yeah I figured someone would say this! :laugh: Greg and his awesome camera have ruined the standard, run of the mill review. ;) I didn't want to break the camera out with the mist - although it was really weird tonight, tons of mist but it wasn't really wet out, even after 45 minutes, my jacket was still dry. Oh well, next time :cool:

Also wanted to add that this is probably the cleanest "strong" cigar I've had in a while. Usually full flavored cigars (like LFD DL) have that lingering almost stale aftertaste for hours, but this cigar left a really nice clean taste that quickly dissipated.

The only Opus I care for is the xXx and the PL's. Both are great smokes. :thumbs:

Thanks for the excellent review! The XxX's are my favorite. If only they were a little easier to find.

Great Review. The weather in Middlesex right now is over 60 degrees and no rain. Not sure how long this will hold up for but I would love to fit a car wash and a cigar in today.

Very nice review, makes me want to bring the Power Range I have in my Humi to lunch today. I can't wait to try one of these, your review makes me wish I was enjoying one now.

I tried one of these a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I have another on the way. I think I am going to let this one lay in the humidor a while before smoking.

The opus are def my fav. I enjoyed a couple XXX when I was in miami a couple months back.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Great Review. The weather in Middlesex right now is over 60 degrees and no rain. Not sure how long this will hold up for but I would love to fit a car wash and a cigar in today.
A little more sunshine would have made today the perfect winter oasis, but I'll take what I can get!

I tried one of these a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I have another on the way. I think I am going to let this one lay in the humidor a while before smoking.
Easier said than done, trust me! :laugh: I buried mine in the humi so I wasn't tempted.

Nice review. I really want to try one of these one day when I get my hands on one.

I have an Opus Reserva sitting in my humi gathering some age, and I cannot wait to hit it with a flame. Good review