• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Oregon Scientific Remote Weather Station

BagfullofPings

Earlier this morning I built a cooler-dor. One of my modifications is an Oregon Scientific Remote Weather Staion. The unit is cool, but the hygrometer SUCKS! It is off by 11%. I have read the manual and I have not found anything about adjusting the hygrometer.

For you guys that have this type of unit, is this normal or do I have a bad remote?

I don't have that brand, but many others do (sorry, I'm not trying to be unhelpful here). My remote hygromteter is Taylor Industries. Independently the base unit and the remote unit work great. Perfect calibration. The "remoteness" of it sucks ---. The base never reads the remote unit accurately. Which means I can't put the remote unit in the back of my cabinet as I hoped to. I have to keep it up front where it is visible as well.

I hope this helps answer your query a bit.

I just bought an Acu-Rite remote hygro and it's currently being salt tested. It's showing 73% with another 8 hours to go.

Did you salt test yours?

I use 3 remotes and the base unit 2 are +2% and one is dead on. I haven't heard any issues with these being that inaccurate. May be a bad sensor or low batteries, did you salt test correctly. Is this the new unit or the older model? The new unit is real colorful and circular designed.

-D

I use one main and one remote right now. I am salt testing the remote unit as we speak, I'll post my result tomorrow.

About 2 weeks ago, I purchased and adjustable hygrometer from Viper. I tested and adjusted that hygrometer through a "One Step Calibration" packet. That hygrometer is currently in my coolerdor as well. That is how I know the Oregon Scientific is off.

The remote is brand new, but batteries were inclued. Once I remove the plastic sheet, the remote turned on. Just to be safe I will install new batteries.

The remote is white and rectangular. Is this the old remote?

Sounds like the same one that I have..... IMO..... they suck.... mine are off by about 10% - 12% each.... but I have another smaller digital that is only off by 4%.... I just use them as a reference now for when i should check the color of the beads

Which other companies make remote hygrometers?
Radio Shack has one with multiple remotes. I currently use it, one's 4% off the other 6%. I wish someone could make an accurate hygrometer, it just can't be that hard. Although this week I read a couple posts where Mark has an adjustable digital, I just may have to check that out. But I do like the Radio Shack version because my humidors are in the basement and the receiver in the second floor bedroom, and it reads perfectly. So I can check it every morning and night without having to go downstairs. Lazy, but it's nice. :blush:

Which other companies make remote hygrometers?
Radio Shack has one with multiple remotes. I currently use it, one's 4% off the other 6%. I wish someone could make an accurate hygrometer, it just can't be that hard. Although this week I read a couple posts where Mark has an adjustable digital, I just may have to check that out. But I do like the Radio Shack version because my humidors are in the basement and the receiver in the second floor bedroom, and it reads perfectly. So I can check it every morning and night without having to go downstairs. Lazy, but it's nice. :blush:

I agree, how hard is it to add an adjustable knob/button. Maybe and extra $5 - $10? Big deal.

You have to remember that except for us crazy cigar smokers most folks are happy with a rh reading within 5-10% on their patio. The adjustable units are great, test them for the inaccuracy, set them and they read accurately. Could not be easier.

By the way I have them on sale until the ned of December.
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=10

David

The remote has been in my cooler-dor for almost 5 days. As you know, remote was off -11%(54%) on Friday. When I left town on Saturday morning, it was still at -11%(54%). As soon as I got back on Sunday afternoon, I looked at the remote and saw 69%. Oh Sh**!! I went to the cooler-dor and opened the lid. My back up hygrometer said 66%. WTF, know it is +3%. At least that is better than -11%. On Monday and today, it has flucuated at -2%/-3%(63%/64%). Oh well it is not science, but I'm totaly amazed at how it corrected itself within 24 hours.

Well, I forgot to mention that the units are very slow to re-register the humidity. I modified mine based on a thread somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up. It made a huge difference in the rate at which it reacted.

-D

Found It!
http://gothammarketing.com/rck/sensorfix.htm