• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron 5000 Maduro

mjolnir01

El Cañón de Latón
When browsing through the review index the other night, I noticed that there were no reviews on my go-to stick, the Padron 5000 Maduro. A large robusto/short corona gorda, it measures 5 ½ x 56 and sports a very dark wrapper blotched with darker, almost black spots. I bought this box in April ’08 from a very reputable online source. They’ve aged wonderfully and now I have a pretty good backlog resting in the humidor. The 5000 is usually a little less spicy than the 2000, but I think they are a little smoother. I find they pair best with something sweet—cola or port match very well, but tonight the 5k is accompanied by decaf coffee with lots of Splenda and milk.

The cigar smells of barnyard, but as with most good aged Padrons it has a distinctive hazelnut aroma as well. I’m not very confident in my blind reviewing skills, but I think I could identify this cigar by that scent alone. After a clip and a light, I get a slight sourness on the tongue so I set it down for a few minutes to cool. I’m rewarded with tons of blue smoke and an array of flavors: nuttiness and cocoa powder with a medium spice on the lips. The finish is long and tasty. A flaky black and white ash forms and falls off after an inch. Usually they fall off much sooner for me on the 5k, so I’m pleased with that.

The delicious core flavors subside a little in the second third, but are still apparent. I smoke slowly and sip carefully, enjoying the taste. I recharge my coffee and notice a slight runner, but the burn soon self-corrects.

The final third loses some of the smoke’s character, but the slight spice is still there. On into the final inch I pick up a bit of woodiness after a quick relight. I enjoy it for a few more minutes and then let it go out with about half an inch left.

gallery_7985_1339_7664.jpg

This is not the best cigar money can buy, however for the money, only other Padrons can compete with it. The 5000 will also not win any beauty contests, but I like the fact it’s a rougher looking cigar—it has a certain egalitarian appeal to it that matches the price-point, like anyone can enjoy this great smoke. It's certainly a favorite.

Great review and pics. I love the X000 series Padrons. Egalitarian indeed! It's an upscale smoke disguised with an inexpensive price tag. Just how I'd like my women. If I wasn't married... :whistling: ;)

Nice review Barry. The best part of this line is that it is one the both my wife and I enjoy. She is a little bit pickier when it comes to her favorites and Padron has not let her down yet.

x000's from Padron are one of the best values in cigars. I have 2K's, 5K's, and 6K's in the cabinet pretty much all the time.

Nice review, Barry. As BBS says, always have some x000s in the humi, usually maddis.

These are simply great smokes for the price point.

As has been said, these are definitely worth having in the humi at all times. Spot on review!