• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron Family Reserve 85 Maduro

ajbrian

This is the latest of the Padron Family Reserve models and it is in honor of Jose Padrons 85th birthday. I grabbed a box and as always, was very pleased by the presentation. This 5 1/4 X 50 robusto is smaller than the previous Family Reserves but the Maduro wrapper looked elegant and oily.
I removed the first one from the box and it was truly fresh and gently flexible to the touch. The aroma was delightful. I clipped it with a V cutter and took a small draw before lighting. I detected something a bit different than all the previous FR models. The tobacco is aged 10 years and all (as usual) hail from Nicaragua.
I lit this beautiful cigar and immediately was surprised by a bit of pepper spice. It wasn't a harsh spice but a very pleasant little bite to the smoke. The draw was fabulous as it always is with any Padron FR or Anniversario, for that matter. I took a few mopre draws and the spice stayed around. It was coupled with a nice taste of chocolate and a hint of oak and leather.
These flavors stay with the cigar throughout. I especially enjoyed the pepper lingering but remaining just a piece of the puzzle for the emtire smoke.
About 1/5th of the way through I exhaled through my nose and while it provided that pepper bite it was nonetheless smooth and not at all harsh.
The flavor and draw were consistent throughout with some mild changes in the level of pepper and chocolate as I got into the second half of the cigar. I smoked this all the way down to the nub and it did not get too hot nor too harsh. It was enjoyable throughout and as is typical for me with padron FRs, I was reluctant to finally put it in the ash can for good.
Once again, the Padron family has delivered and I'll be savoring the rest of this box.

I've smoked one of these but I don't know if it's good enough to de-throne the 45th Family Reserve as my "best cigar ever smoked"....but it's darn close.

Got a box of each in the cabinet. Holidays are coming, and I'll have some time....research, research, research..... :p

I love the size, and the price is much better as well.

It's hard to find anything bad to say about a Padron cigar as they are all perfect, mmm Padron ( drooling )

I haven't tried an 85th yet but the 45, 46 and 80th are amazing! I couldn't pick a favorite out of these, but the are the collective benchmark to which I compare all smokes... Love 'em

My order should be here soon, I'm lighting the nattie first since they hardly get any airtime.

Just got these myself in both natural & maduro but haven't smoked either yet.

Thanksgiving sounds like a nice target date to break one out.

I should be getting my box of 85 maddies soon, just hope it's before Thanksgiving!

Tempted to pick up another box of FR45 maddies as my current one is half gone! :D

Thanks for the review. I was tempted to buy a 5 pack of these yesterday. now im sad i passed it up

You are right, you can't miss with a Padron. I'd put these in my memory banks, but those have been on the fritz lately.

I have been dying to try this cigar. My b&m has some on hold for me but I have been soo busy I haven't had time to pick them up. Thanks for the review

I cant find these anywhere. Any good place to get them from?

I'd love a 5 pack.

If it's anything like the 1926 or 1964, I'll be stoked.

Never smoked a bad Padron, which is amazing.

I think these are great. I got a 5 pack of maduros first and was pleased. Then got some naturals and liked them even more. I still like the Family Reserve 45 the best.