• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Partagas 8-9-8 Unvarnished (1996)

MidGe

Reaction score
very well constructed (as usual examined under magnifying glass :) )

Quite an oakish smell apparent.

The cut (which I like not very dep was very clean and showed a beautiful three starred radiate surface, usually an effect of some very skillfull hand rolling.

lit up was easy has, and had only a slightly irregular initial burn, probably due to yours truly anxiety at lighting up. Judicious positioning of the cigar to rest bewteen tokes on the ashtray, regulated the burn very quickly. (for those that don't know, rest the cigar so that the side that needs catching up is on the top.. heat/flames/cinders raise thus fixing the problem of unven lit cigars).

Aftre a cm or so this cigars was in full swing. Note that this the unvarnished, rather than the varnished 8-9-8, the unvarnished seems a lot milder than the varnished box one. This one was well past it first maturation, if not second, having about 9 years of age.

The balance of flavours, oak, chocolate, toasted coffee (the latter two combined reminiscent of a Moccha :) ), a hint of cinnamon and vanilla really display what balance is all about when it comes to cigars flavours.

From a bit earlier than the end of the first third, this cigar had settled in the experience it offered and stayed very consistent till much later. The smoke is light (as a personal choice I like a heavy smoke), but the balance and consistency makes it easy to overlook this.

This would be a nice cigar during the day when you have a bit more time than just enough for an aperitive type cigar.

Another of my ranking criteria is the sigh ranking. [The fact that I sigh smoking it because the experience is so enjoyable and I know it will come to an end, both for this cigar and for my ability to enjoy cigars]. This cigar did get a couple of sighs from me and therefore definitely me belongs to those elite "sighs" cigars.

Ok, the last bit of information whilst smoking this cigar, is that within the last 3 cm it only very slowly increased in strength and salinity. With only a weaning of the vanilla flavour really noticeable and a corresponding and therefore start of domination by the roasted cofee bean flavour.This makes it a very good cigar all around for me.

Laid to rest after 90+ minutes of real pleasure still had 1.5-2cm left to go. RIP.

Appearance & Construction (15) /13
Flavour (25) /21
Smoking Characteristics (25) /21
Overall Impression (35) /30
Total (100) /85

Complemented with a Penfold Bin 407 Blend 1999

Great review. I just smoked a '97 last weekend. Definitely mild but a nice smoke overall. My only problem with it was it kept going out on me. Very frustrating.

Nicely reviewed. I have yet to find a stick well into its second maturation... something that i think they refer to as "burnt toast" flavor..
guess im still a noob :blush:

Great review MidGe.

Could you post a pic of the "three starred radiate" pattern. I jsut cannot visualize it. When I see a well rolled stick, the bunch pattern looks "Chaotic" without obvious gaps or large regions of booking.

Reading your review and the comment about putting it down on an ashtray made me realize...I never put my cigar down when I smoke. I don't know it that's strange or not, but it's always either in my mouth or gripped. Now that I think about it, the only time the cigar is out down is if I need to go inside or it's done.

In any case, nice descriptions. :thumbs:

Wilkey

Ginseng said:
Great review MidGe.

Could you post a pic of the "three starred radiate" pattern. I jsut cannot visualize it. When I see a well rolled stick, the bunch pattern looks "Chaotic" without obvious gaps or large regions of booking.

Reading your review and the comment about putting it down on an ashtray made me realize...I never put my cigar down when I smoke. I don't know it that's strange or not, but it's always either in my mouth or gripped. Now that I think about it, the only time the cigar is out down is if I need to go inside or it's done.

In any case, nice descriptions. :thumbs:

Wilkey
[snapback]263622[/snapback]​

Hiya Wilkey,

Thanks for the encouragement.

A photo may be a bit hard. I was leisurly looking at digicams a few weeks ago and then equated the price with the number of cigars it would buy, and I gave up. II may reconsider though. I also have webcam which has a pretty poor resolution, but I will see what I can do, if, with it.

The description should have read three pointed star. Which, I guess is an indication of the number of binder leaves that get to the head of the cigar. I ave noticed such patterns (3,4 or even 5 points) on quite a few premium cigars. I accept it may be a hit and miss though.

Regarding chaos, I can't agree with you unless we are not meaning the same thing. I am certain that there are different patterns for binder and filler and wrapper for that matter. Some of those, interlaced type, for instance, show very clearly on any transverse cut.

I keep my stoogies after I smoke them. I cut out the cherry and put the head in a tupperware box :) . Just can't get to throw them in the rubbish, romantic that I am when it comes to cigars. :) I mean they are crafworks, people of skill and dexterity have made that object, let alone growing and curing the leaves. I am thinking they may make good fertilizer or something like that, perhaps. I have tended to get rid of them when the box is nearly full and I realsie I don't know what to do with it. lol. If anyone has any idea, please forward it to me.

Yes, I think as a cigarette smoker, I tend to overdraw on cigars, hence I do tend to leave it away from my mouth between puffs and my hands are often on the k/b too. But I have come to enjoy that gesture, with an hiatus for reflection and appreciation (as well as a small sniff alongside the body.. amazing what pleasures are in that and how different to the palate taste it can be) in between puffs.

Again, this is a great site. I just wish there were a few Aussies for passes and sharing etc.. It seems that there are none!!

Again, Thanks for your encouragements

Michel

MidGe said:
for those that don't know, rest the cigar so that the side that needs catching up is on the top.. heat/flames/cinders raise thus fixing the problem of unven lit cigars).

[snapback]263243[/snapback]​

Funny, I read this ...

There is plenty of advice out there on how to select, store, and smoke cigars. Rather than repeat what everyone knows or says, here are 10 quick, lesser-known tips, courtesy of JR Cigar, to make your cigar smoking experiences more pleasurable.

A great way to keep your cigar burning evenly is to rotate the slow-burning side to the bottom. I know this seems odd, but the bottom side will burn faster because the oxygen needed to feed the flame isn't being displaced by the smoke. Try it and see!

jabba said:
MidGe said:
for those that don't know, rest the cigar so that the side that needs catching up is on the top.. heat/flames/cinders raise thus fixing the problem of unven lit cigars).

Funny, I read this ...

There is plenty of advice out there on how to select, store, and smoke cigars. Rather than repeat what everyone knows or says, here are 10 quick, lesser-known tips, courtesy of JR Cigar, to make your cigar smoking experiences more pleasurable.

A great way to keep your cigar burning evenly is to rotate the slow-burning side to the bottom. I know this seems odd, but the bottom side will burn faster because the oxygen needed to feed the flame isn't being displaced by the smoke. Try it and see!
[snapback]263651[/snapback]​

Hiya jabba,

How interesting... That's the reverse of my experience!!??

Whatever works, I guess. I will try, altough I am skeptical at this time, and I don't want to lite badly just for testing. :)

Enjoy & thanks for this info.

By the way what are the other nine tips?

This point has been debated ad infinitum. In fact, the only foolrpoof way I have found to correct errant burns (that are not the result of serious internal structural flaws) is to 1) touch up with a torch lighter and/or 2) rotate the cigar as you smoke it while occasionally blowing gently on the side that is lagging. The first point is for more serious corrections. The second point basically stokes the coal on the slow side, and is a milder version of treatment #1. This has never failed me while keeping it up or down often have.

The folklore about keeping the lagging side down to expose it to oxygen is a bit tenuous in my opinion. The most obvious reason why this is not likely to be a significant factor is that one rarely smokes in a completely still, calm environment where the combustion products and heated air rise in a smooth, laminar fashion. Even if one is completely still, there are likey to be gentle, wayward breezes that will perturb the airflow and mix things up in the vicinity of the coal. In other words, in a "typical smoking setting" the oxygen concentration is likely to be fairly uniform around the tip of the cigar.

You can find the other 9 tips and other useful information here.

Wilkey

MidGe said:
jabba said:
MidGe said:

[snapback]263651[/snapback]​

Hiya jabba,

How interesting... That's the reverse of my experience!!??

Whatever works, I guess.
[snapback]263657[/snapback]​