• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Partagas 8-9-8

Ironworker

CP's Official Construction Contractor
I just broke the seal on a box of these dated Apr 00 and all I can say is wholy chit!.
If you love Partagas like I do you would fall in love with the 8-9-8. I have yet to smoke a Cuban that holds a match to rested 8-9-8.

I fear the box won't last longer than a few weeks.

Rich

They probably wont last that long. Those are some great cigars. They have that distinct Partagas strong expresso flavor throughout and have a great smooth creamy finish.

Is this box the varnished or the un-varnished. Both are great cigars.

Enjoy.

They are one of my favorite smokes. I have some old unvarnished and some varnished, I dunno for sure but for me there is a difference and the varnished clearly have the edge.

Great smokes for sure.

Ironworker said:
I fear the box won't last longer than a few weeks.

Rich
[snapback]234278[/snapback]​

Especially true if you share with friends..... :D

addy in profile of course :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

golfgar said:
They are one of my favorite smokes. I have some old unvarnished and some varnished, I dunno for sure but for me there is a difference and the varnished clearly have the edge.

Great smokes for sure.
[snapback]234303[/snapback]​

I see how it is, you have a box of Varnished and a box of UN Varnished but you want me to send you some of the ones I just have? :sign:

Seriously this might just be the best Habano ever. Take the best PSD#4 you ever smoked and multiple it by 2 that's what i think of these cigars.
They cost quite abit more than the PSD#4 too.

My box is varnished by the way. I don't think they make UN Varnished anymore.
A great cigar is never cheap.

Rich

PSD#4 are uninspiring. The coronas from cabs and the 898s are delicious. I'm a fan of the thinner Partagas vitolas.

vewyphishy said:
PSD#4 are uninspiring. The coronas from cabs and the 898s are delicious. I'm a fan of the thinner Partagas vitolas.
[snapback]234480[/snapback]​

I have 3 different vintages of PSD#4's and while they are good, I don't exactly go cracky for them like I do for the 8-9-8' which are "special occasion" smokes when you have the time to really enjoy them. IMHO the churchills are also very good.

Very good observation by the way of the thinner Partagas.

Ironworker said:
golfgar said:
They are one of my favorite smokes.  I have some old unvarnished and some varnished, I dunno for sure but for me there is a difference and the varnished clearly have the edge. 

Great smokes for sure.
[snapback]234303[/snapback]​

I see how it is, you have a box of Varnished and a box of UN Varnished but you want me to send you some of the ones I just have? :sign:

Seriously this might just be the best Habano ever. Take the best PSD#4 you ever smoked and multiple it by 2 that's what i think of these cigars.
They cost quite abit more than the PSD#4 too.

My box is varnished by the way. I don't think they make UN Varnished anymore.
A great cigar is never cheap.

Rich
[snapback]234451[/snapback]​

They don't make the unvarnished anymore and I had the oppotunity to buy more of those but passed, would rather spend the dough on the varnished.

I wonder how come I don't see alot of these in pass's and trades?
It can't be the price because I have seen a lot of high priced cigars in pass's.

Rich

Ironworker said:
I wonder how come I don't see alot of these in pass's and trades?
It can't be the price because I have seen a lot of high priced cigars in pass's.

Rich
[snapback]234554[/snapback]​
Which ones? Mine is going to have an 898 and some coronas.

I was thinking inpaticular the 898, glad to see it in a pass. :thumbs:

I with the bunch of you...I think the 898 Varnished is a fantastic cigar. Did a split for some not too long ago. They are now on the "list." These weren't even as aged as I would have liked. Can't imagine how good they will be in a few years.

However, I still love the PSD#4...my go to Habano.

If you like the 898 Varnished you should try the Partagas Seleccion Privada no. 1.

They are the same size as the 898 but they are in my opinion more complex and stronger. They are the most expensive 6 3/4 by 43 cigar (behind the Cohiba Siglo V) that Cuba makes. They are very difficult to find but are worth the effort. I haver been smoking my 97's and just got a box of 99' in the other day. Me and a few friends were going to buy 10 boxes of the 99's because they taste so good, but the amount of plugged cigars was too high ( 6 out of 25 ).

My 97's have had hardly any plugged ones so we were hoping the 99's would be as good. I know there are some 02's around but have no experience with them.

I like the 898's also, I had a box of 98's I went through and then found these 97 SP1's so I stopped buying the 898's. Looks like I'll have to revisit them.

If anyone wants to try the Partagas version of the RyJ Cazadore, check out the Partagas de Partagas no. 1. They are also 6 3/4 by 43. They are the strongest Partagas with that one dimesnional Cazadore strength. They are definitely cheaper than the 898's or SP1's.

If anyone wants to try the unvarnished I can still get a box, as well as the RA 898's varnished (also out of production). I'm just thinking out loud here, but maybe we could do a three box split of the 898's? I would buy the boxes and split them into packages of 6 cigars of each kind for 3 more players if there were three people who would want to do this.

The way I have it figured, including postage to the players, the cost would be about $170 for 18 cigars, or about $9.44 each. (as long as the exchange rate stays pretty close to what it is now for a week or so)

If there is interest I will start a new thread in the buy/sell/trade section. Of course since Rich (Ironworker) started the thread he would have the opportunity to be in or out first.

Part varnished box code NNSU TTH02
Part unvarnished box coed NISU SS II
RA varnished OSU ABR02

The Master said:
If you like the 898 Varnished you should try the Partagas Seleccion Privada no. 1.

They are the same size as the 898 but they are in my opinion more complex and stronger. They are the most expensive 6 3/4 by 43 cigar (behind the Cohiba Siglo V) that Cuba makes. They are very difficult to find but are worth the effort. I haver been smoking my 97's and just got a box of 99' in the other day. Me and a few friends were going to buy 10 boxes of the 99's because they taste so good, but the amount of plugged cigars was too high ( 6 out of 25 ).

My 97's have had hardly any plugged ones so we were hoping the 99's would be as good. I know there are some 02's around but have no experience with them.

I like the 898's also, I had a box of 98's I went through and then found these 97 SP1's so I stopped buying the 898's. Looks like I'll have to revisit them.

If anyone wants to try the Partagas version of the RyJ Cazadore, check out the Partagas de Partagas no. 1. They are also 6 3/4 by 43. They are the strongest Partagas with that one dimesnional Cazadore strength. They are definitely cheaper than the 898's or SP1's.
[snapback]234716[/snapback]​

Thanks for the info. Been looking for the SP1 since reading about them in MRN. You are not kidding that they are difficult to find. Guess I'll keep looking. Good to know about the '99s. If I ever do find any, I'll try and avoid that date code. I've thought about the Partagas de Partagas no. 1 as well. Might have to consider that one too. I like the Cazadore...great outdoor cigar. Plenty of strenght, but you are right...it is a straight shooter, no complexity there. :)

Golfgar, I'd be interested in a box or two of the RA 898's if the price is right.

Cigardawg, I'll pm you the source for the 02 Partagas Sp1's.