• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Password Manager

cabaiguan juan said:
I just created a spreadsheet for my user names and passwords and I was amazed at how many entries I had. i wish I could just use one single name/password to keep it simple
I agree! I'm constantly having to change passwords at work on four different systems. Each one is different and I can't use the same password from the previous 12 months! I just write all of them down and tape them on the back of my name tag!
Some people use www.shrib.com. You can access it from anywhere with an internet connection. You just have to remember to password protect it.

cabaiguan juan said:
I just created a spreadsheet for my user names and passwords and I was amazed at how many entries I had. i wish I could just use one single name/password to keep it simple
I have one generic username and password for stuff I don't care about (e.g. junk email address) and the spreadsheet for everything else. My spreadsheet has 52 entries...I would guess that 10% of them could be retired.

Undegreed said:

GPL'd? ???

Open source licensing. Doesn't necessarily equate to free (as in beer) to use, but often does. If I remember correctly, the license applies to derivative works, so if the original is free and open, then it's unlikely that someone will be able to charge for it later and they certainly can't make it closed source or use it in something proprietary.

-John

JHolmes763 said:

GPL'd? ???

Open source licensing. Doesn't necessarily equate to free (as in beer) to use, but often does. If I remember correctly, the license applies to derivative works, so if the original is free and open, then it's unlikely that someone will be able to charge for it later and they certainly can't make it closed source or use it in something proprietary.

-John

GPL= Open Source Licensing?????????????????? 

Not that it really matters. I understood about 10 words of your explanation.
How long have the emoticons been automatic?

Undegreed said:

I have been using PasswordSafe for quite sometime... dunno what I'd do without it anymore.

Jim nailed it - the best password manager going, and it's GPL'd so it's free to use:

http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

Why do you think it's the best? is it because you've tried others and they don't work as well?

GPL'd? ???

In fact I have tried several other password managers and this one is the best of the bunch.  I've used it for years.

But please, don't take my word for it.  Feel free to try as many different ones as you want, and if you find something you think works much better, let us know.

GPL is a pretty common way to release software.  It Googles right up.

BlindedByScience said:

I have been using PasswordSafe for quite sometime... dunno what I'd do without it anymore.

Jim nailed it - the best password manager going, and it's GPL'd so it's free to use:

Why do you think it's the best? is it because you've tried others and they don't work as well?

GPL'd? ???

In fact I have tried several other password managers and this one is the best of the bunch.  I've used it for years.

But please, don't take my word for it.  Feel free to try as many different ones as you want, and if you find something you think works much better, let us know.

I give your opinion a lot of credence...which is why I asked the probing question. Too often we use "best" without really intending our statement to mean "best." Thanks for the response(s). 

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this kind of stuff so I am likely going to stay with whatever I start with. However, my antennae go up whenever I see the phrase "free" in regards to downloads. 

Undegreed said:

GPL'd? ???

I give your opinion a lot of credence...which is why I asked the probing question. Too often we use "best" without really intending our statement to mean "best." Thanks for the response(s). 

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this kind of stuff so I am likely going to stay with whatever I start with. However, my antennae go up whenever I see the phrase "free" in regards to downloads. 

I understand your concern about 'free' software.  GPL / open source software is usually good to go.  The entire Linux community is based on open source software.  

If you want to see how good open source software can be, check out Libre Office (many of the original 'Open Office' guys):

http://www.libreoffice.org/

I recommend it to lots of folks as a low cost (as in free) alternative to Office.  It's solid stuff.

Forgive me in advance for rambling a bit.
I have been playing with passwordsafe for the past couple of days and following are my observations:
-          The software is fairly intuitive, in that if I was able to figure it out most anybody could.
-          The UN and PW data is all stored in a “safe” on my local drive. This means that I can't access my data on my tablet or phone…or home PC for that matter.
o   There is some opportunity for storing the safe in the cloud and sharing access from there. I did not play with this
o   I emailed the safe to my phone and downloaded it to my phone’s drive. I was able to access the data but couldn’t figure out how to use the app to directly access a website.
-          There is no way to import my excel spreadsheet into the safe.
-          I started to mess around with the random password generator but when I realized I couldn’t easily access the safe remotely  I stopped.
As of now I’m going to get some tutoring from Jason (backslide) on Lastpass and see where that takes me. I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks for all the feedback.
-Steve

This should be a group project, Steve you are not the only one that has passwords in Colorado Springs....

Tim

MX said:
This should be a group project, Steve you are not the only one that has passwords in Colorado Springs....

Tim
Now it's starting to sound fun. We'll have to wait until it warms up a bit, otherwise it will be like the herf in my garage...brrrr. I guess as an option we could do an "all Colorado" herf at The Celtic. I'm sure our northern friends have passwords too.

We are overdo for a trip to Denver

Undegreed said:
Forgive me in advance for rambling a bit.
I have been playing with passwordsafe for the past couple of days and following are my observations:
-          The software is fairly intuitive, in that if I was able to figure it out most anybody could.
-          The UN and PW data is all stored in a “safe” on my local drive. This means that I can't access my data on my tablet or phone…or home PC for that matter.
o   There is some opportunity for storing the safe in the cloud and sharing access from there. I did not play with this
o   I emailed the safe to my phone and downloaded it to my phone’s drive. I was able to access the data but couldn’t figure out how to use the app to directly access a website.
-          There is no way to import my excel spreadsheet into the safe.
-          I started to mess around with the random password generator but when I realized I couldn’t easily access the safe remotely  I stopped.
As of now I’m going to get some tutoring from Jason (backslide) on Lastpass and see where that takes me. I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks for all the feedback.
-Steve

I have been playing with it also.  The only way that I have found to be able to "share" your safe is to have it in the cloud.  I currently have a "test" safe in my Dropbox account that I created to play with until I figured out how to get all my systems to see the safe.  You don't have to use Dropbox, you can use a Google Drive, or Box account if you have one of those.

1. When you create the "safe" in Dropbox, it MUST be in the Apps/PasswdSafe Sync folder.  If it isn't in this exact folder, your mobile devices won't be able to see (or access) the safe.
2. On you mobile devices you need to have the Password Safe app, AND the Password Sync app.  The Password Sync app is your bridge between the cloud and your device.
3. Once you have installed the Sync app, open it and select the cloud that you have created your safe in, you will probably be prompted to allow access from the program (I was for Dropbox).
4. The Password Safe app should then see the safe by default and try to open it, you will be prompted for your safe password.
5. Enjoy your safe on your mobile device!

IF you just want PCs to have access the process is similar in that you need to have the safe in the cloud.  The only difference is that you don't need to have the safe in a specific folder.  I just got my work PC, home PC, home laptop, and my Galaxy Tab all synced using Dropbox.  Once I finally figured out the Dropbox part, the rest was pretty easy.

I am still working on importing some UN/PW logs from my Excel spreadsheet to Password Safe, but have not had much luck yet.