• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Perdomo fans listen up!

ads47

Just FYI for those who like Perdomo. The cigar shop I hang out at doesnt carry the Perdomo line. They were considering it recently because they finally got a direct sales force locally and were showing some interest in getting some facings in the store. Then last week the Sunday paper comes out and guess what they are doing! Perdomo is have cigar rolling events all over the city at where? The largest local GROCERY STORE chain! They have flown in a roller from Cuba and are having these big events all over town because the stores will now be selling cigars along with your milk and eggs. Guess who they didnt bother to tell anything about this or offer the roller for. ALL of the local tobacconist were not informed about it! So the cigar shops were you can buy your product, get advice and taste whatever you like get no roller. The chain grocery store gets there own roller where you cant taste any cigars or smoke in the store or get any advice other than where the milk is. It seems now that Perdomo has recieved a few emails and calls from more than a few tobacconist in the area they are in full suck up mode and making all kinds of excuses instead of just making it right.

ads

I'm working for a B&M and they don't carry Perdomo either. Like with any distributor/manufacturer your going to have ups and downs.

BUT

I doubt you can jump on Perdomo's ass for where they decide to roll for. Like it or not a grocery store is much busier than your local shop. Maybe the grocery store wanted something for the customers to see. I see it more as an event than a smoking event. Sure if someone buys cigars great but I think its more eye candy for the kids and older folks to say "Wow, look at him roll cigars"

Man, that blows! Isn't the cigar industry supposed to be tight knit with a family type of atmosphere? This is just LAME! I'll be happy when it backfires because I know noone who buys their cigars at the grocery store. :cool:

cigarsarge said:
Guess money talks. :angry:
[snapback]193537[/snapback]​
took the words right out of my mouth Sarge...$$$$$$$ is what is all about.

God Forbid that a company in the United States try to maximize its profits!

Please. Every company has an obligation to its stockholders to maximize profits. If you don't like it, you don't have to. But don't act like a BUSINESS should NOT be trying to make MONEY.

I don't like Perdomo's cigars. I don't like the way they treat certain retailers. I don't like this sales tactic. Sure, it's all about the $$$$$, but there should be a line. It is the B&Ms that have made these companies what they are today. It is the little guy that Nick Perdomo, Carlito, Jorge Padron, and Ernesto from LGC used to beg to buy their cigars that helped to put them on the map. Just about all of these businesses have forgotten that. It has become just about the $$$$$ and not about relationships to them. Lumberg, of course they should be trying to make money. Just not at the expense of the businesses that helped them to get where they are today.

Unfortunately we have incomplete information.

What if they are going out of business and this is the only chance they have to remain a going concern?

If every one of us refused to do business with companies whose primary goal is to make lots of money, well we'd be up ****'s creek with not only no paddle but most likely doggy paddling, too.

I mean, between the US being a bastion of capitalism and us not being privy to exactly what is going on in the Perdomo organization, I think the people criticizing here are way off base.

For the record, I don't like Perdomo any more than any one of you. It's the basis for the criticism I have issue with, not the criticism myself.

I don't think they make good cigars.

BTW guys, I know I am being harsh. Sometimes I get carried away playing Devil's Advocate and whatnot.

Criticize away.

Lumberg said:
BTW guys, I know I am being harsh. Sometimes I get carried away playing Devil's Advocate and whatnot.

Criticize away.
[snapback]193589[/snapback]​

Lumberg, who the **** are you to criticize us for criticizing someone else?! :sign:

It is our goddamn right to say whatever the **** we want ya prick!

Is that what you meant? :p :laugh:

I started a long post, quoting Lumberg, etc. etc. But, it just takes too much GD energy.

However, I will say this. I think we all make choices as to who we do business with. Myself, I pick the organizations that are not just out for my money, but to give me a product and experience that I will be more than happy with. I think we all make these choices on one level or another. I deal with the local tobacconist that I do because of dealings early on. He didn't just want my money, he wanted to create an experience so that I would come back. I did and he is now one of my best friends in Charlottesville. The other tobacconist, besides being a moron, did not do these things.

This choice is what I was trying to allude to in my earlier post. Is Perdomo going out of business and has to sell cigars at grocery stores...unlikely. Does he want to make an extra buck...yes. My problem here is not the act, but how the act was done. He should have been upfront with the B&M tobacco stores. He was not. That is my real gripe. I have different, though similar ones with the other companies. Have I stopped buying AF, Padron, or LGC cigars...hell no and don't plan on it. This was mostly just an observation.

BTW, Lumberg, I would gladly allow you to play the devil's advocate all day long. Be as over the top as you wish...I'd just rather do it over a stiff drink and a cigar. Too damn much typing involved in arguing over the internet. :p

Ok heres a little more to the story. I guess what they are saying happened is that the events were set up by a former employee who left the company and didnt tell anyone about the deal. Then the grocery store called reminding them of it and Perdomo called it off. After having it cancelled a buyer from the store called throughing a fit and Perdomo gave in and said they would do it.
As for the money issues. Generally you pay nothing for cigar events hosted in your store by a distributor or maker. So no money didnt talk there. And I know that there is no way that they are going to move more product in the class of cigars that they are promoting than they would in a B&M shop.
I dont blame them for doing the events. Where I fault them is not calling up the local B&M's and saying "Look we have so and so coming into town could we host a private party in your shop" or whatever to give the shops a nicer event than the grocery.

ads

Look this is nothing more than a aggressive sales rep trying to meet a quota set down from upstairs. I think the guy was smart why not do a promotion with B&M great chain lots of exposure for my brand and its something my competition isn't doing. Plus any of these stores hosting a roller will surely have to have some inventory on hand. Hmmm sounds like a box or two from each store.

Am I going to step on a few toes sure but as long as I come along with the same offer in the future is it really going to hurt the tabacco guys ....... no I don't really think in the long anyone would go out of business in fact it will ultimately help because it will give additional exposure to the brand. The serious smoker will always seek out the tabacco retailer becuase "THEY DO" provide a great service.

I can't imagine a skeme like this would hurt anymore and probably much less than the impact the internet has had on these guys.

Just my .02

Oh by the way you don't think the VP of Sales didn't sanction this event. It's a crock if they say they didn't. I don't know many sales organizations to let reps just shoot from the hip on a promotion and a committment like that.

Think about it :whistling:

I gotta think that whoever the sales rep who set this up will either A - earn a tremendous promotion (becuase this promotion will be very successfu) or B - earn a boot through the door because it was a flop... Either way - it's not an issue for you or I. So long as Perdomo produces cigars that are enjoyable for my palate, I'll smoke them. It they cheapen the line, I doubt the cigars will be enjoyable.

No one seems to be criticizing Macanudo for placing their cigars into Walgreen's and CVS pharmacies.... I would think it strange if they did an event at a Walgreen's or CVS, but I wouldn't dog General Cigar for doing it... It's their choice how they market their product, not mine. And I don't care how they market their product, as long as it's tasteful.

I know that I don't mind paying a little extra for the atmosphere of a Cigar lounge... I can't smoke in the store, I probably wouldn't do business there.

I believe the exemployee was one of the higher ups in sales, maybe the VP.

ads

I hate to bring this up, but what kind of store is it? ???

Eric says there is an awesomely huge store that sells everything in IL including food, liquor, cigars, etc., and i would understand a rolling event there.

Its just a standard grocery store, that chain doesnt have any "super" stores yet. The supers we have around here do carry cigars, generally the same thing liquor stores do Mac. and various other tubed cheap cigars.