• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Perfect first cigar?

zachglasser

Hello everyone,
I really want to try my first cigar but I have not a clue what to look for, I've read stuff that said the color of the cigar matters and the color wouldn't matter.
It also says it's how you like your coffee and I like mine with 2 creamer and 2 Suger. So I have not a clue

Welcome to CP!

The color of the cigar doesn't matter. There are some dark cigars that are light bodied. There are some lighter cigars that are full bodied.

How you like your coffee is probably a decent marker. If you are looking for a specific recommendation, I would say ask for a Padron 2000. Grab one each, natural (lighter) and maduro (darker). Takes notes when you smoke them and then you can see the differences between the two. They're probably closer to medium bodied but will go really well with a cup of coffee.

If you want something really light bodied just to get your feet wet, you can probably find Macanudo in every cigar shop you walk into. Their Cafe line is probably the most mild.

Welcome to CP!

The color of the cigar doesn't matter. There are some dark cigars that are light bodied. There are some lighter cigars that are full bodied.

How you like your coffee is probably a decent marker. If you are looking for a specific recommendation, I would say ask for a Padron 2000. Grab one each, natural (lighter) and maduro (darker). Takes notes when you smoke them and then you can see the differences between the two. They're probably closer to medium bodied but will go really well with a cup of coffee.

If you want something really light bodied just to get your feet wet, you can probably find Macanudo in every cigar shop you walk into. Their Cafe line is probably the most mild.
I will probably buy a macanudo then since it's good for just trying. And if I enjoy that I'll take me next game up

Try them all and smoke what you like.

Hit up the Fuente Don Carlos line. Then try the Pardon 64 series. Then try the Mac.

You'll know what I'm talking about.

Where are you located? We may be able to point you to a good shop in your area. My best advice is to ask the merchant. They can help you choose based on their selection and your budget.

After turning 18....Padron 2000 Natural or Maduro. If you don't enjoy it, I got nothin' for ya.

Macanudo Gold label, Hoyo de Monterrey Rothschild, Cohiba red dot toro. Heavily recommend any of the following to start with a taste for what seasoned smokers prefer: Fuente Don Carlos robusto or No.4, Padrón 1964 maduro, Illusione Epernay, Fuente Rosado Sungrown Magnum R44 or R52. If you start with those heavy recomended, you may never smoke the other stuff. Try as many as you can afford to start.

A lot of great cigars mentioned. If the prices get too high, Oliva G Series is decent and comparatively inexpensive. Both the Cameroon and Maduro versions. I'd say the Belicoso size.
Not as good to me as Padrons, Illusiones, or Fuente, but a decent starter Cigar.

A lot of great cigars mentioned. If the prices get too high, Oliva G Series is decent and comparatively inexpensive. Both the Cameroon and Maduro versions. I'd say the Belicoso size.
Not as good to me as Padrons, Illusiones, or Fuente, but a decent starter Cigar.

Even the Oliva O Series would also be a good start.

Whatever you choose. Don't inhale! :D

What he said! My friends who are casual smokers and like something light smoke the Monte Cristo white label.

Ya, what about one of those AF sungrown 44's?

Ya, what about one of those AF sungrown 44's?
Never smoked one. Been a Don Carlos and Hemingway whore for many years.
I suppose it wouldn't lay him down.

Which brings to mind, Zachglasser, A strong cigar can possibly make a person feel sick. If you feel sick from smoking a cigar, a couple teaspoons of sugar will fix you up. Eat a good meal before your first try. Even us seasoned smokers aren't 100% immune to too much nicotine (nicotine sickness).

This is what I meant
I've been noticing that one getting a lot of attention. Never smoked one. Sounds perfect for a new smoker. Flavorful without the asskick. I need to get some. This thread is going to cost me money.

I always some on hand as they are not expensive and come in a box of 44 I think. I'm not sure if I agree with Cigar Aficionado that they should be number for the year but certainly worth a very honorable mention.