• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Peterson Project

bilder

Got this Peterson off Ebay in a mixed lot. Here are some before and after photos of the pipe. Currently I am finishing the polish and cleaning the last of the gunk from the edges of the stem. I am looking for the best way to clean up the charring around the edge of the bowl as well. I hope to smoke my first bowl from this beauty tomorrow night.

And the photos:

1001434ji2.jpg

1001437vu5.jpg

1001525kd2.jpg

1001529ou7.jpg

1001538vi1.jpg

I have restored a Peterson semi rusticated earlier this year. For the charing, I made a thick paste of kosher salt and 151. Then set the top of the bowl in the solution and left it over night. This removed all of the char and odor. It looks and smoke like a beaut now.

BTW, That is a very nice pipe. I like the inverted P lip bit.

Coming along nicely. :)

For the charring I have always just gotten off what I could with saliva and a good rub with a cloth. This will not damage the finish for certain and gets most of the charring if not all of it. I find a bit of charring left on the bowl adds character to an estate pipe. Too much is unattractive, but just a hint adds history to the briar.

You can also use 600-1000 wet/dry sandpaper if you're VERY careful not to go too far. It takes awhile, but it will remove the charring (and the finish if you aren't careful).

Good luck!

Curious, Did you buff that stem or just do the old olive oil rub?

FWIW: pipesandcigars.com sales replacement Peterson system stems. Only place other than sending the pipe back to Pete that I've found.

snip...
You can also use 600-1000 wet/dry sandpaper if you're VERY careful not to go too far. It takes awhile, but it will remove the charring (and the finish if you aren't careful).

Good luck!

I've used sandpaper several times, and then finish it off with Murphy's Oil Soap. Works great on the charring.