• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Picked up a Scotch sampler for my first Scotch

doubledown

So, I stopped by the local liquor store and picked up a Scotch sampler they had. It had three 200ml bottles, one each of Caol Ila 12, Talisker 10, and Lagavulin 16.
I also picked up a full bottle of Macallan 12, as that's the only Scotch I've had in the past, and remember liking it.

On to the tasting of the sampler:
Caol Ila 12: Wow, ok, so this is what peat and smoke taste like. Never had something like this before. Was smooth, and finish wasn't long.
Talisker 10: Fire! That's what came to mind when I tasted this. It was spicy and had a hint of sweetness. Had a longer finish than the Caol Ila.
Lagavaulin 16: Back to the peat and smoke, lots of it. Sort of an earthy taste and touch of sweetness. Also had a long finish.

Going by first impressions, if I were to pick up a full bottle of one of those three, it'd be the Talisker. I'll probably give everything another try this weekend.

I like the Lagavulin, but only a glass now and then. Too peaty for me.

The Talisker is everything I love in a single malt Scotch. Too delicious. Working through a bottle right now.

Haven't had the Caol Ila. Aberlour A'bunadh is next for me when I can afford it.

Now that is jumping in with both feet. If you like the Talisker 10 wait until you try the 18 :thumbs: