• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pipe Tobacco...how to store?

bfreebern

Yada, Yada, Yada.
Just wanted some opinions. I know most retailers store the tobacco outside their walk ins, but I've got kids running around. Wondered if anyone else stores it in their Humidors?

I've got an empty Cohiba box with bags in it, sitting in my humi. Does anyone else store in their humis and does % really make a big difference like it does in cigars?

Just wanted some opinions. I know most retailers store the tobacco outside their walk ins, but I've got kids running around. Wondered if anyone else stores it in their Humidors?

I've got an empty Cohiba box with bags in it, sitting in my humi. Does anyone else store in their humis and does % really make a big difference like it does in cigars?

In a bag in my humi.

I think:
1) Retailers go through it more quickly
and
B) The shops probably a little more humid than any other store around.

I suppose I could put it on a tobacco jar as well - but even the old one's I have seem to have a spot for a moisture device.

I'm interested to know more!

I went to the grocery store and bought some canning jars. The 4 oz jars will hold 2 oz comfortably and the 8 oz will hold up to about 6 comfortably. I don't seal them or anything, I just wash the jars really well, dry them off, put the tobacco in them, and put the lid and ring on. It stays sealed quite nicely and is really easy. They do take up some space, though.

I was keeping it in an unused humidor, but the aromas really permeated the wood. I don't think I can use that humi for cigars ever again. :(

Pipe tobacco doesn't need nearly the humidity that cigars need. Most "experts" recommend no more than 40% or so for ready to smoke storage (many even lower).

Here's a good link for all kinds of questions regarding storage Tobacco Storage.

Have fun!
:)

I went to the grocery store and bought some canning jars. The 4 oz jars will hold 2 oz comfortably and the 8 oz will hold up to about 6 comfortably. I don't seal them or anything, I just wash the jars really well, dry them off, put the tobacco in them, and put the lid and ring on. It stays sealed quite nicely and is really easy. They do take up some space, though.

I was keeping it in an unused humidor, but the aromas really permeated the wood. I don't think I can use that humi for cigars ever again. :(

Pipe tobacco doesn't need nearly the humidity that cigars need. Most "experts" recommend no more than 40% or so for ready to smoke storage (many even lower).

Here's a good link for all kinds of questions regarding storage Tobacco Storage.

Have fun!
:)

Good to know!

I think I'll start using my old tobacco jars!

Good to know!

I think I'll start using my old tobacco jars!
Make sure you check the seals, especially if they're very old. Some of the older jars had natural rubber seals that deteriorate over time. You don't want to open your jar one day to find dust! :0

I use one of my old coolerdors with a regular credo/50/50 PG mixture. Most of my tobacco stays at the moisture level I like with this. I also use mason jars for long-term storage of bulk buys. I use an old wooden potato masher to press the tobacco down, microwave for 10--15 seconds and then put the lid and ring on. As the tobacco cools, it forms a partial vacuum but there's still air left in the jar which is necessary for aging.
VA blends will change to the greatest degree over the years, aromatics hardly at all. Most aromatics will never dry out regardless of where they're kept due to the high levels of moisutre in the flavorings and the PG used in those blends.
Many experienced smokers prefer their tobacco tinder dry, and there's a belief that dry tobacco lets the true flavors of the blends come out. YMMV. :)

I keep some opened tins in an old humi (mostly the square ones, because they don't re-seal when you close them), but I stopped caring about keeping any level of humidity when I realized that the vast majority of stuff I have smokes and tastes much better dried out a bit. An old water pillow or two are more than enough to keep the opened stuff from completely drying out. The round tins will re-seal more than enough to maintain moisture, and the cans with the snap on plastic lids are not too bad either (although I keep most of those that I have opened in the humi as anyway).