• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Planning ahead, but not much

rbbrock

For Christmas my Dad is taking my brother-in-law and myself on what looks like a killer fishing trip this coming June. We all enjoy smoking cigars, and often do so together, but I'm the only one that has access to ISOMs. I'd like to bring a box to share with them on the trip, as it's in Canada and the lodge sells them, but I'm sure the prices are astronomical and I don't want them to waste a bunch of money buying them there when I can provide them at a fraction of the price.

I already have a few sources so that's not the issue. I've pretty much stayed with the PC, Robusto and CG sizes, but I'd like to bring some Churchills or something of larger size along for us to enjoy. I'm pretty certain the only Churchill I've smoked is the Sir Winston, and although I do have a few others in storage they're not what I'm looking for for these guys (I have Bolis and Lusis and they both like mild to medium cigars).

What do you guys think a good, mild to medium strength large cigar would be, keeping in mind it needs to be smokeable this coming June, so I don't have a long time to age it before we go? Or am I just out of luck and should bring something like a box of Mag46 (which is what I'm thinking for a plan B)?

TIA.

I really enjoy Quai d`Orsay Imperiales. You might wasn't to consider them for a good mild/medium smoke.

Might I suggest you go with something a bit larger than a Churchill. If your brother and father prefer mild-to-medium cigars, I would highly recommend that you explore the Hoyo De Monterrey Double Corona.

Also the larger vitolas (i.e., Chuchills and Double Coronas) in my experience all tend to be on the lighter side relative to the smaller vitolas in their respective marca.

Where are you fishing, Rob? I am the cigar provider on our fishing trips and depending on where you are going, you could be subject to rain, cold, wind, etc. I usually get PC or robusto sizes because of the elements and go cheap in case you have to chuck it. Those are strictly boat cigars but back at the cabin you would certainly be protected and would be able to enjoy a nicer, longer smoke if you desire. Just something to keep in mind.

Where are you fishing, Rob? I am the cigar provider on our fishing trips and depending on where you are going, you could be subject to rain, cold, wind, etc. I usually get PC or robusto sizes because of the elements and go cheap in case you have to chuck it. Those are strictly boat cigars but back at the cabin you would certainly be protected and would be able to enjoy a nicer, longer smoke if you desire. Just something to keep in mind.

Good points all, Clint. We're going to northern Saskatchewan. I'm trying to find the weather now...looks like today it's -15° C up there (the link from their page takes me to weather for Collins Bay, SK). A little cold, but as we're going in June it should be better (I hope). Historically, it looks like it's usually a high in the low to mid 20s Celsius (mid 60s to low 70s F), with no rain most days. The most rain I saw on a single day was about a half inch, and that didn't even show up every year for the past five years. There was one year where it rained 2/3 of the days, but that was only a couple mm each day.

I like the way you think, though. Maybe I'll bring a box of Padron Londres or something for the boat and some nicer cigars for after supper.