• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Plasma or LCD ?

I purchased a Sony Bravia LCD and I love it. I went with it for simular reasons as stated above. Research is your friend

Personally, I like DLP tv's better than anything. But for that size, I'd probably go plasma.

That article is a good find. With that said I still think if you're dropping the cash on a 65" you'll regret not getting one with the most capabilities especially now that gaming (if you do it) and Blu-Ray in 1080p are finally coming around.

I've compared 1080i to 1080p HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and the difference was very apparent to my eye especially with games and sports where there is a lot of fast motion.. which is where the progressive scan really has the advantage over interlacing. Just my $.02.

Not to bust on flamchop but spending the money on 1080P is only a good idea IF YOU CAN SEE IT. The human eye can only detect so much and there is no point in getting a great 1080P set and sitting 15' away. Here is the best info I've found on the subject. But hey, it's your money so spend what you want.

If you're buying that big though and dropping that amount of cash make sure you get one with 1080p capability beause Blu-Ray is not far off from becoming the new standard to the point of being so affordable everyone will have them and you might regret not being able to take advantage.

I bought a 65" DLP tv a year and a half ago. I love it. The best part about it is the only thing I have to worry about is a $150 bulb going out and its warranteed for 3 years.

Very bright, good blacks (not as black as a plasma) and I don't have to worry about the picture degrading over time.

I absolutely LOVE my tv. Not to mention, its a bargain in comparison to a plasma.

That article is a good find. With that said I still think if you're dropping the cash on a 65" you'll regret not getting one with the most capabilities especially now that gaming (if you do it) and Blu-Ray in 1080p are finally coming around.

I've compared 1080i to 1080p HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and the difference was very apparent to my eye especially with games and sports where there is a lot of fast motion.. which is where the progressive scan really has the advantage over interlacing. Just my $.02.

Not to bust on flamchop but spending the money on 1080P is only a good idea IF YOU CAN SEE IT. The human eye can only detect so much and there is no point in getting a great 1080P set and sitting 15' away. Here is the best info I've found on the subject. But hey, it's your money so spend what you want.

If you're buying that big though and dropping that amount of cash make sure you get one with 1080p capability beause Blu-Ray is not far off from becoming the new standard to the point of being so affordable everyone will have them and you might regret not being able to take advantage.

I can tell the difference also. Hook a PS3 up to both and you will see. Just make sure that your refresh rate is high on an LCD. Otherwise you can get like a blur effect while watching sports. I have a few friends who have these big nice TV's but it sucks watching sports games on them.

Personally, I like DLP tv's better than anything. But for that size, I'd probably go plasma.
I bought a 65" DLP tv a year and a half ago. I love it. The best part about it is the only thing I have to worry about is a $150 bulb going out and its warranteed for 3 years.

Very bright, good blacks (not as black as a plasma) and I don't have to worry about the picture degrading over time.

I absolutely LOVE my tv. Not to mention, its a bargain in comparison to a plasma.
We're in the DLP camp as well. Got a great deal on our 56" Toshiba DLP set and it's fantastic. Scored an upconverting HD-DVD player from Costco for $129.00 and really enjoy seeing the improvement in the movies we currently own.

It boils down to personal choice, the deals you can find locally, and preference; I think there are valid pluses and minuses for them all. Having said that, if I were to buy a "flat" monitor, it'd probably be a plasma set.

FWIW - B.B.S.

I have heard the plasmas suck a lot of juice, as well.

I recently saw a 70" 1080p JVC DLP with stand for $2200. I'm tempted.

The point was if you know where the set is going and you have a limited place for seating then NOT getting 1080P set may be a way to save some money by getting a 720P set instead. For example, we got a new 52" plasma during Black Friday last year. I only had one place to put it and the couch isn't going to be moved from where it is so for the 12.5' seating distance 1080P wasn't going to do me any good since I couldn't see the resolution. but 720P I could. Now for the theater downstairs, the 105" screen sitting at 13' gets full 1080P via a Key Digital line quadrupler fed with an SDI input from the standard DVD player or HDMI from the HD-DVD player. All TV is upscaled to 1080P or watched at native rate depending on how I feel.

If the seating distance is close enough or if it may change then the above won't apply to you

The point about 1080I vs 1080P doesn't really apply since ABC and Fox broadcast 720p and CBS and ABC do 1080i you don't have a 1080P choice.

Yes Plasma TVs use more power then an LCD but my 52" is listed as using slightly less then the old 36" tube TV it replaced.

I have had a Sony 55" DLP for 3 years and love it. My son just bought a 60" plasma and the picture is much better on his. The concern I had with plasma that lead me to DLP, was the glare off the shiny screen. As said before, consider your room conditions.

Ken

My Panasonic plasma is Energy Star rated and uses just a little bit more electricity than the 27" tube TV it replaced. If you're worried about the cost of electricity for a TV, then LCD v. Plasma is the last question you should be asking.

Also, my plasma is rated for a usable life quite a bit longer than I will likely have the TV. I think it worked out to about 15-20 years, but I"m not positive about that.

Bottom line, go look and decide what you like better and buy that. These arguments (LCD v. Plasma v. DLP v. etc.) go on FOREVER at the A/V forums and there's never any resolution there either. It's about your personal preference.

The point was if you know where the set is going and you have a limited place for seating then NOT getting 1080P set may be a way to save some money by getting a 720P set instead. For example, we got a new 52" plasma during Black Friday last year. I only had one place to put it and the couch isn't going to be moved from where it is so for the 12.5' seating distance 1080P wasn't going to do me any good since I couldn't see the resolution. but 720P I could. Now for the theater downstairs, the 105" screen sitting at 13' gets full 1080P via a Key Digital line quadrupler fed with an SDI input from the standard DVD player or HDMI from the HD-DVD player. All TV is upscaled to 1080P or watched at native rate depending on how I feel.

If the seating distance is close enough or if it may change then the above won't apply to you

The point about 1080I vs 1080P doesn't really apply since ABC and Fox broadcast 720p and CBS and ABC do 1080i you don't have a 1080P choice.

Yes Plasma TVs use more power then an LCD but my 52" is listed as using slightly less then the old 36" tube TV it replaced.
I love it when you talk dirty Ray! :love: :laugh:

Brian