• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Positive Effects of Nicotine

JHolmes763

Drinkin' the koolaid
Found this linked to from the MyFather Cigar's Facebook page. I always thought I felt smarter after smoking... :)

Meta-analysis of the acute effects of nicotine and smoking on human performance
We found significant positive effects of nicotine or smoking on six domains: fine motor, alerting attention-accuracy and response time (RT), orienting attention-RT, short-term episodic memory-accuracy, and working memory-RT

<link> Abstract

<link> Discussion (w/link to full study)

Looks like the full report was published online nearly a year ago (Apr '10). I don't remember this being discussed, though.

I hope this is a legitimate study and not something bogus (I don't have any reason to suspect it is).

-John

Read a little of this yesterday. I guess I'm a little shocked this wasn't covered with the same fervor and depth that the ill effects of smoking are. :rolleyes: Since about the only thing negative I see about cigar smoking is that they contain X amount of nicotine levels as cigarettes, I would assume, in light of this revelation, some of the warning labels coming on cigar boxes nowadays will be replaced with a picture of Einstein. Or at least Bill Ney.

Looks like the full report was published online nearly a year ago (Apr '10). I don't remember this being discussed, though.

I hope this is a legitimate study and not something bogus (I don't have any reason to suspect it is).

-John

Who paid for the research? That information often helps determine the validity of a study.

Doc.

-John

Who paid for the research? That information often helps determine the validity of a study.

Doc.

The document says it was funded by a grant from the National Institute of Health (NIH).

-John

Doc.

The document says it was funded by a grant from the National Institute of Health (NIH).

That explains why it's been buried...

And to think I was smoking cigars for enjoyment! :(

Nicotine studies on cognitive enhancement and memory are actually pretty old. I was working in this field 10 years ago and even then the positive attributes of nicotine were already well known. If you look up studies on NCBI (it's an NIH funded website that compiles scientific research), nicotine studies have been around since the 70's. Problem isn't with the nicotine, it's with the vehicle that nicotine is delivered in. Oh yeah...and the addiction. Eh.

Actually, looking up some more papers, I'm not getting a clear answer in terms of nicotine's carcinogenic properties. Hrm...interesting...

Nicotine studies on cognitive enhancement and memory are actually pretty old.

This is a meta-analysis of studies done from 1994 - 2008. 50 studies met the criteria for the analysis if I remember right (double-blind, placebo, etc.).

As much as I like to, I'm not really buying it. Nicotine is highly addictive and as most of us know, it isn't easy to give up. Anything that is hard to use in moderation isn't usually good for us. So it goes...

Except for sex, of course.

As much as I like to, I'm not really buying it. Nicotine is highly addictive and as most of us know, it isn't easy to give up. Anything that is hard to use in moderation isn't usually good for us. So it goes...

Except for sex, of course.

Unless of course you are unfortunate enough to be predisposed to a heart condition that prohibits this kind of activity.

Nicotine is highly addictive and as most of us know, it isn't easy to give up.

Is it really addictive or do you crave the performance enhancement that nicotine gives you in fine motor skills, attention, memory, response time, etc.? Is that inability to concentrate because you're craving a cigarette because of nicotine addiction or are you just dropping to a "normal" level of concentration/focus that's less than when you have nicotine?

That's part of what the study is getting at...

Teh secks can be bad. Suppose it depends on who you do it with and if you're using protection.

Is it really addictive or do you crave the performance enhancement that nicotine gives you in fine motor skills, attention, memory, response time, etc.? Is that inability to concentrate because you're craving a cigarette because of nicotine addiction or are you just dropping to a "normal" level of concentration/focus that's less than when you have nicotine?

Because nicotine has a withdrawal effect, I believe there is a genuine physical addiction.

You inhale, it goes through your lungs (or otherwise), into your bloodstream and into your brain. There it creates a temporary form of pleasure and possibly the stuff you mentioned. When the feeling decreases the withdrawals kick in. No different than many other forms of addictive substances.

My memory is absolute horsesh.t, so I'm not so sure about this study's results. :) There's no doubt it is an interesting drug. Not many substances can relax you and make you more alert at the same time. I would say I've experienced that. However, are you more relaxed because you're getting your fix?

Nicotine could very well have advantages, but the disadvantages far out weigh any advantage.

Doc.