• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Postcard in the mail today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inthacup said:
the list of individuals we sent them to, which was a random sampling of a large list of 10,000 cigar smokers with internet access.

I can't believe this hasn't been asked yet, but where did you obtain/purchase this list of home addresses?
[snapback]217437[/snapback]​

It is actually pretty easy to buy this type of information. There are companies that all they do is find out personal information for marketing. I was talking to a customer of mine who did this but for the refinancing business. He basically broke it down that he wanted a certain age, certain area, certain income, etc... I am not justifying what Kevin is doing, but it is not illegal.

symyn said:
Inthacup said:
the list of individuals we sent them to, which was a random sampling of a large list of 10,000 cigar smokers with internet access.

I can't believe this hasn't been asked yet, but where did you obtain/purchase this list of home addresses?
[snapback]217437[/snapback]​

It is actually pretty easy to buy this type of information. There are companies that all they do is find out personal information for marketing. I was talking to a customer of mine who did this but for the refinancing business. He basically broke it down that he wanted a certain age, certain area, certain income, etc... I am not justifying what Kevin is doing, but it is not illegal.
[snapback]218556[/snapback]​

I don't think the biggest issue anyone here has it weather or not it is legal. I personally do not give a purples frog's pi$$ where he found my address. I do not like the fact that it may have came from a vendor I trusted with my personal information according to what Kev is saying. As CC has pointed out, this is NOT the first time Kevin has, and I agree, abused or hidden behind the fact that he is a sponser on this site and/or tried to back out of it or was not 100% truthful.

The bigger question that has still not been answered is "WHO here at CP has had the card come in the mail that DOES NOT have their addy posted in their profile?"

I have a fairly good idea that the reason NO ONE here at CP w/o an addy in their profile has said they have had one come in is because the answer is nill, notta, didn't happen......

This is just bad form for any business being a sponser of the site or not. I own a computer business specializing in network and personal security, would it ok for me to go get everyone's addy from their profiles and send out a mailer? I mean, honestly we all spend alot of time here and on other boards so you have an interest in computers/internet...right??

IF Kev did get the addresses as he said, then great I will just not deal with any of the vendors I have dealt with recently and for me it is fairly easy because I have only dealt with ONE new vendor. I will follow that up with this, I don't even think for a minute think this vendor sold my information to anyone because he was not only recommended to me by a FOG during a NST but I have yet to get a single email not concerning an order from them. I have a few other vendors that I have dealt with for years and this is a first so I think I can safely say it didn't come from them.

I am not overly pissed about the postcard or the mishap with the stamps, $hit happens. I am a little upset that this came to the home address and not the PO Box that I use when I sign up for just about anything(and everything inet related) with one exception, this board. Will I purchase anything from the site this is relating to? It is HIGHLY doubtful.

Just a $ worth!

bchem said:
coventrycat86 said:
This particular thread speaks volumes about what kind of a poor “business man” AND what kind of an arrogant, thick headed braggart ole Kevin is  .  He was completely out of line and instead of admitting it at first, he dug his heels in, got defensive and tried to “Scotty” his way out of the hole he dug for himself.

Well one good thing came out of this whole ordeal at least: Now I finally know what the term "Scotty" means!
[snapback]217763[/snapback]​

LMAO!! Sorry for those of you who do not know. Scotty is SFG75 who was banned from this site around March of 2005 for being an arrogant, argumentative, nasty prick. Whenever Scotty is confronted with facts about his misdeeds, he lies, deflects, avoids, ignores and changes the subject and then when he starts losing control of his emotions, he starts flaming, babbling and making no sense at all. When someone acts like this, I refer to that behavior as "pulling a Scotty."

KevinOWacter has pulled a "Scotty" on a few occasions here. I personally have no use for him and find his sleaziness, insincerity and evasive behavior troublesome to say the least.

I think it is a big mistake for anyone to put their personal info in their profiles. In the last 8 years, I have seen a large number of psychos who post on cigar BB's. I am talking about dangerous people who would go out of their way to mess with you.

BGarv3 said:

Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but my address is in my profile and I didn't get a postcard. Then again, I didn't really start buying cigars from online retailers till the last month and a half.

The Master said:
I think it is a big mistake for anyone to put their personal info in their profiles. In the last 8 years, I have seen a large number of psychos who post on cigar BB's. I am talking about dangerous people who would go out of their way to mess with you.
[snapback]218774[/snapback]​

You know, based on another post in another thread:

TonyDogs said:
I am still waiting

This goes to anyone else that wants to talk crazy.

Who would like to continue?

You think I am f*&king around
[snapback]218844[/snapback]​

I'm thinking The Master has a point.

kevpriest, that kind of post is exactly what I am talking about. There are a ton of loose cannons on cigar bb's.

Well - I received a post card in the mail - to an address that is only in one place... My profile at this board... Hmmmm.. I wonder where he got my address from???

BTW - please take my name off of your list - I'm not interested, nor do I want to receive your spam mail. If I want to join your list, I'll let you know...

My addy has been pulled from my profile due to this asshat. Those that I frequently correspond have it. Those that want it can PM me. Our community has been violated by a profiteer and I don't like it.

The Master said:
[snapback]218774[/snapback]​

Pretty much what I said back in post #21, but I'm glad a FOG said it. Tends to be taken more serious, and good advise it is.

I was also shocked to see addresses in profiles when I came here. I just don't get the upside of it, other than the remote chance of being bombed, which isn't a very good reason to put it out there. As Sarge said, you can choose to gove your address selectively. I would think there is a way for a marketeer with database knowledge to make some queries to CP and build himself a nice comma-delimited file with all those addresses in it. From there, it is child's play to create a mailing list.

I'm not downing any of you guys with your addresses out there, it is just atypical in the world of this interweb thingy. In one sense, it is a reflection of the trust of the tight-knit community we have here; in another sense, you might be asking for trouble if you put it out there.

JK

cigarsarge said:
My addy has been pulled from my profile due to this asshat. Those that I frequently correspond have it. Those that want it can PM me. Our community has been violated by a profiteer and I don't like it.
[snapback]219191[/snapback]​

Same for me

Bill

sad, i understand what everyone is saying and agree, but damn now i'll never get that bomb. truly sad :cool: !

I keep mine in because it's so easy to find if anyone wanted to find it anyway (google, excite white pages search, etc.). I'm not too concerned with some of the potential problems but with the points that The Master made, I'm rethinking my position on this.....

I don't know, I see everyone's point, but if someone is looney enough to try and get junk mail sent to your address, or even worse, show up at your door step, do you really think that not having an address in your profile is going to stop them? There is the almighty google, white pages, phonebook, etc. like CC stated. If you piss someone off enough on this board, and they are actually crazy, addy in profile or not, they're gonna track you down....but that's why we have the 2nd amendment :whistling: ;)

bchem said:
I don't know, I see everyone's point, but if someone is looney enough to try and get junk mail sent to your address, or even worse, show up at your door step, do you really think that not having an address in your profile is going to stop them? There is the almighty google, white pages, phonebook, etc. like CC stated. If you piss someone off enough on this board, and they are actually crazy, addy in profile or not, they're gonna track you down....but that's why we have the 2nd amendment :whistling: ;)
[snapback]219301[/snapback]​

I know that..Just not gonna make it too easy on em.

bchem said:
but that's why we have the 2nd amendment :whistling: ;)

Isn't that something about thy neighbors wife? Oh wait it's the gun thing, right? ;)

cigarsarge said:
bchem said:

I know that..Just not gonna make it too easy on em.
[snapback]219302[/snapback]​

Cigarsarge: Little off topic but if I gather correctly you are one of the LEO's on this site right? Just out of curiosity, I know it's kinda hard to escape google and all that, but short of keeping your number unlisted in the phone book, to police departments have any measures that they can take to help keep your address and phone number out of public view? It seems like you would want it to be hard to find. The people you deal with sometimes aren't the most "stable" to say the least. If I was a police officer, I wouldn't want the guys I arrest to be able to look up the address of my family in the phone book or anywhere else! Just curious how that all works.

OK, sorry for thread jacking. :p

I finally got my postcard a couple of days ago. Been watching this thread since, deciding if I wanted to post or not. Now, let me start by saying that I was not offended by receiving the postcard in the mail. I was a little bugged by the fact that my address was found by searching this site. I don't really think that is fair play. However, I like getting mail regarding my hobby...even if I didn't ask for it. If I don't want it, I throw it away. No harm done.

I understand where some folks have gotten bent-out-of-shape over receiving the postcards. That's fine, I'm not gonna try to tell you not to. If you don't want SPAM mail coming to your house and are offended by the way your address was received, give'em hell. That's your right. I just thought I would share my opinion on it.

To the vendors on the site, here is an idea. Ask (politely) if members would be interested in receiving your specials either in the mail or via email. I'm sure many of them would. Don't use this site as your personal address book. That's just disrespectful. You could put up a post for people to say yes or no. There are ways for you to do "direct advertising" without ruffling feathers.

Just some thoughts. Take them for what they are worth.

I totally agree with cigardawg. I think it's a better business practice to just ask or maybe have an email list and ask people who want to register. For the money spent for marketing use the email and give have a contest or some other incentive. I also don't mind getting cigar spam, but I can see where people can get offended by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.